HELP - EBay Seller Would Like Information about Possible Tahitian?

MotherOfPearlTrumpet

I have been working with this EBay seller who admits he does not know if these are genuine Tahitian Pearls. I'm guess "No" but need other input from experts. Please let me know what you think.
Tahitian Pearls Question 1.png
Tahitian Pearls Question 2.png

He states they DO feel gritty to the teeth. The strand was found in his loved one's jewelry box with the clasp cut off, so they are strung with the wire wrap on each end, but no clasp. No other history about the clasp or strand is known.
They look just a little too perfect in luster and surface to be authentic, especially with these random drill pilings.

Last edited:
Honestly they look like imitations to me. Do you have more photos?
If you decide to take a chance on them make sure he takes returns.

Honestly they look like imitations to me. Do you have more photos?
If you decide to take a chance on them make sure he takes returns.
They said they would prefer to take them to local jewelers to get them checked out before sending. They don't feel comfortable with "returns" as they have heard stories about people swapping out sets and returning fakes. I don't trust traditional jewelers as they often mistake pearls. Here is the EBay link...not sure if you can see the pictures. They are off-round, mostly and there are also tiny divits in several of the pearls.
ebay.com/itm/155223185941?nma=true&si=RfCrJsB4vFCMEkU56Gzj9MRGjdU%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I checked the listing but see that it has already sold. I suppose you are the winner of the auction?
If they are real then you got quite a good deal. If not, then I suppose you can file a "not as described" claim.

It bothers me that he mentioned an 18K diamond ball clasp in the title, and only stated the clasp was missing in the description.

I checked the listing but see that it has already sold. I suppose you are the winner of the auction?
If they are real then you got quite a good deal. If not, then I suppose you can file a "not as described" claim.

It bothers me that he mentioned an 18K diamond ball clasp in the title, and only stated the clasp was missing in the description.
In the description below the clasp was excluded. He also stated that when I reached out before the auction ended. If they indeed had the clasp described that lends credence to the possibility they are real.
Yes, I did win the auction, but if he takes them to a jewelry store and they authenticate genuine pearls, he may rescind the auction and not go through with the purchase. If they are indeed real, it was a very good price for some very nice pearls. Not sure if I should go ahead and pay...that way he has a more difficult time NOT sending them. However, if they are not genuine, getting money back is always more difficult. I'm leaning toward going ahead with the purchase...my biggest hesitation was the pilings at the drill hole. The tiny divots and odd shapes of the pearls were what originally caught my attention in the thought that they may be genuine.
Regarding the clasp...if it had the diamond ball clasp, the price point would have been so much more. Those clasps sell for between $1200 and $3500 from other sellers.

1. A seller can decide not to send, no matter if you have paid or not. He can easily refund and cancel the sale. Paying does not protect you.

2. The fact that he stated he is aware of stories that people swap out /return fakes means if you do return them, he could claim that you returned fakes, which could make it harder for you to claim "not as described."

3. He can claim he took them to a jeweler to be authenticated, but will he prove that he did so?

4. Sorry but absent paperwork (original sale receipt) showing the clasp originally had an 18K diamond clasp, you only have his word. If he doesn't have the clasp how does he know what it was? If he has it why would he not include it in the listing?

I would not pay yet. Let him take them to a jeweler and let him show you the letter from the jeweler, on letterhead, that they are real. I don't think he will do it. An appraisal would cost him money.

Are you prepared to risk losing your purchase money? If not, don't pay yet.

The colors do not seem right and in the photos the surface seems a bit grainy.

The time to have taken them to his jeweler was before listing them. Sorry, I smell a fish. I would not pay.
Thanks for the advice...and to the seller's defense, other than the main listing determination, he messaged me that he wasn't sure if they were real or not.

1. A seller can decide not to send, no matter if you have paid or not. He can easily refund and cancel the sale. Paying does not protect you.

2. The fact that he stated he is aware of stories that people swap out /return fakes means if you do return them, he could claim that you returned fakes, which could make it harder for you to claim "not as described."

3. He can claim he took them to a jeweler to be authenticated, but will he prove that he did so?

4. Sorry but absent paperwork (original sale receipt) showing the clasp originally had an 18K diamond clasp, you only have his word. If he doesn't have the clasp how does he know what it was? If he has it why would he not include it in the listing?

I would not pay yet. Let him take them to a jeweler and let him show you the letter from the jeweler, on letterhead, that they are real. I don't think he will do it. An appraisal would cost him money.

Are you prepared to risk losing your purchase money? If not, don't pay yet.

*off to cut my hair, will come back to thread later.*
All excellent points and great advice. You were really helpful!!!

Seller was very kind. He cancelled the sale. He said they are still at the Jeweler's getting "checked out" and I told him that if they were deemed authentic, he could get a lot more than what I paid for them, and if they were not authentic, then both of us were saved from a great hassle. Thanks for your help. Glad it turned out OK for both me and the seller.

These look like phony to me. All the hallmarks of IMITATION PEARLS.

It seems to me the plastic coating has piled up around the drill holes. That doesn't look like regular drill holes in real pearls at all. A drill hole might hide a blemish but blemishes don't look like that and you certainly don't find two blemishes that seem identical.

I bet the listing will be going up again soon to try to catch someone asking fewer questions.

It seems to me the plastic coating has piled up around the drill holes. That doesn't look like regular drill holes in real pearls at all. A drill hole might hide a blemish but blemishes don't look like that and you certainly don't find two blemishes that seem identical.

I bet the listing will be going up again soon to try to catch someone asking fewer questions.
I think it's called "burr" and it's where the post that was sticking into the "pearl", and it's used to dip the bead into the "secret pearl sauce"

Back