Hanaleimom applies for membership

Really lovely pieces! Nice job with such pretty pearls. I admire your courage to start with wire wrapping--the hard part!

pearlss

pearlss

I retook some pictures of my pieces. I like the 2 pearls. On the neck, they transformed into cherry and green and constrast each other really well. I saw a website where 2-pearl pendants are named "You and Me". I think it's a cute name.

Attachments

• IMG_2906_1_1.jpg
    IMG_2906_1_1.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2912_1_1.jpg
    IMG_2912_1_1.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 44
pelosi

pelosi

I bought some pearls from Care, my first purchase from Druzydesigns. I made a Pelosi tin cup necklace last week. There are 2 gold pearls left and I will wire-wrap them to make earrings for hoops later. I am really slow at wrapping and kept messing up. It doesn't help that I am a perfectionist, so I kept cutting them up and re-wrapped because I wasn't happy with the loops. These are made with gold-filled headpins. When I get better I may replace with 14K.

Attachments

• multi-color tahitian necklace - pearl paradise
    multi-color tahitian necklace - pearl paradise
    18.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3007_1_1.jpg
    IMG_3007_1_1.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3008_1_1.jpg
    IMG_3008_1_1.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Nice work!

Now, I've never made earrings before, so I'm going to ask some dumb questions. Apart from the ear wires (or clip-ons/screwbacks since I don't have pierced ears) the main components of your earrings would be the head pin, pearls/gemstones, chain and jump ring to attach multiple chains to the same ear wire. Am I correct?

For the tin-cups, you actually use headpins? So what happens to the end that's flat and supposed to hold the pearl - do you cut it off and then wire wrap it to form a loop to attach to the chain? Or do you use the looped ones - I think I saw some but didn't realize what they were for ...

Thanks in advance!

p

p

I cut off the flat end. There are some pins with the loop and I haven't used those. I am not sure if they sell wires by the yard or not. And if so, they might be in spool and I wonder how easy it is to roll them to straighten them.

As far as earrings, I use pearls only and just wrap them and keep the loops large enough to put through the hoops. If you look at my pictures, I use the ones with the interchangeable earrings. It has a curved end at the bottom. The opening to go through the ear has a thin side. There is no jump ring for my earrings, yet. I am afraid I don't know much about the option for non-pierced ears.

Thanks for all that. Non-pierced isn't a problem. All you have to do is find the appropriate finding, the hoop is the same as for ear wires, which is why I used that interchangeably.

What kind of practice wire do you use? I've seen argentium silver wire locally but not sure I want to practice with that. Do the beading wires work? They might be a bit too soft to wrap though ...

Oh yes, and what sized chain? There are some 2.7mm gold filled ones. The rest are bigger but usually base metal or plated.

Raison

Raison

Hi Raison,
Maybe Pearl_dreams can chime in. She told me in her membership application thread to use beading wire? I can't remember exactly. I would search that post for you but I am on my way out the door soon.

During the hurricane in September, there were no stores open for me to purchase supplies. So I tore up all the twisties that are used to twist trash bags, and use the wires inside to "play" with some plastic beads that I have. My husband also gave me some thick copper wires and they were too hard to wrap.

I use wire on my chain necklaces. You can order gold-fllled or silver, and I'm sure there is base metal, but I don't use that. I also order 14k and 10k for some projects, but you want to be sure with that. I like 26 or 24 gauge dead soft because it is easy to use. I use 22 gauge (I think) to create the ehancer/charm rings that I have been making. When I did my really long tin-cups, I did a loop through the chain and did not finish the actual wrapping until it was all together the way I wanted it. Does that make sense? I usually get the wire by the foot, or by the troy ounce depending on who I order it for (something else to Hui on?). You can get it on the spool, but I've never ordered that much. If you get a kink in it, (not often) you use a Sunshine cloth to straighten it. You have to remember that the wire gets harder the more you work it. Anyone else with advice? I don't use jump rings for earrings, I use wire, even with the chain. I also use wire to put clasps on chains. Here is the long tin cup chain (I need to reshoot that, the pearl colors are way better than those pics). I use beads to frame my pearls and to give it a more finished look.

Attachments

• tincup.jpg
    tincup.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 47
Beading wire will not do for wrapping-- it is wire coated with clear nylon and is springy. It won't hold a shape.

For practice in wire wrapping you can use copper wire (often plated with silver tone or gold tone) which you can buy at a craft supplies store. It is very cheap and comes in different gauges. Aim for a smaller gauge-- 24 is good. To practice making hook clasps, get 18-20 gauge.

Re: Argentium wire, when we order it from Rio Grande, it comes very loosely wound in a wide diameter-- maybe 6" around-- so straightening is not an issue. But if you do need to straighten wire (or a bent head pin), pull it gently between the jaws of nylon head pliers. They won't scratch the wire, but doing this will work-harden the wire somewhat and make it less flexible, so don't overdo it.

Back