Hallmark Initials ID

CatsNme

Community member
Hello everyone, I am new in this forum and I am hoping for a maker's hallmark initials ID. I recently purchased a black pearl necklace with a 14K clasp that bears the initials MI (merged together or on top of each other). Has any member came across or have seen these initials before? Any guesses as to the maker's name? According to the seller it was made and purchased in Hong Kong. I would attach a photo, but I don't have the necklace yet. I would appreciate any help you can provide. Thank you in advance:)

Welcome. It's hard to tell without a photo. If I google "hallmark MI" I get a list of every Hallmark card store in Michigan. Whoops.

Also, the hallmark could be just for the manufacturer of the clasp and not for the person who made the necklace.

Post photos on a white paper towel after you get the necklace. Make sure they are in focus.

Hi BWeaves, I will take a photo of the necklace once they arrive. Thank you for the tip as to what background to use to photograph a black pearl.

(Update) i wanted to attach a photo taken by the seller, but it looks like as a new member to the forum I have not earned that right yet. Any idea about how many postings I need to post before I can or will be able to attach photos? Thanks

Last edited:
Hello Pearl Dreams, thank you for the link to the geology forum lots of cool information.

"black pearls" with 14k clasp

"black pearls" with 14k clasp

Below is a photo (used by the seller) of the "black pearls" with a 14k clasp (hallmarked MI) that I purchased from an eBay seller.

Stats are: length 18 inches; "All the pearls are the same size; about 5/16 inch in diameter. There are no knots between the pearls. Gram weight 49.9 (weighed on a jewelers scale." The seller claimed that this was an estate find and was made and purchased in Hong Kong; year unknown.

I'm not really sure what I am getting other than what the seller described because this will be my first black pearls necklace. I love vintage jewelry, which is what drew me to buy this piece.

Any educational advice and/or feedback about this necklace will be greatly appreciated.

IMG_3345.JPG

My first black pearls necklace

My first black pearls necklace

was delivered today.

I apologize ahead of time for the quality of the photos (used my phone) below:

20170318_142334.jpg20170318_142530.jpg20170318_142734.jpg

My phone did not do the colors justice. The colors in person are incredible. Per my caliper, each pearl is about 8mm.

Not sure how old the necklace is, but the silk thread needs replacement. It is showing the age. Dropping this off with a jeweler near my work on Monday to be re-strung.

Thank you :eek:

Hi Jeremy, could you explain what is a dyed Chinese freshwater? My imagination is running wild with how they are dyed but would like to get educated on the dying process. Will the luster go fade faster because the colors were not naturally occurring in nature?

(Update/edit) How old do you think this necklace is?

Thanks

It's impossible to say how old the necklace is, but it certainly doesn't look old. It's likely it's no more than a year or so old. My guess is that the person who sold it to you was not being truthful about how it was acquired. Dyed freshwater pearls can be purchased on every other street corner in China and Hong Kong.

Natural-color freshwater pearls, such as pink and lavender, are colored with an organic dye. They are subjected to heat and pressure and the dye penetrates the surface of the pearls.

Catsname, were these sold to you as Tahitians? If so they were misrepresented, and you may be able to get your money back. Chinese freshwater pearls are worth much less than Tahitians. (The colors will be stable, however.)

If you didn't pay a lot for them and like them enough to want to keep them, consider that as dyed freshwater pearls the cost of restringing them may be about the same as the retail value of the strand, or even more depending on what is charged in your area. A few years ago I was quoted about $70 to restring an 18" strand.

It would be really easy to restring them yourself, and would not cost much either. Many of us do our own restringing. See the tutorials on the Lowly Beaders Club. P-G member Pattye sells what you would need in her Etsy shop: a synthetic thread that many of us prefer to silk (it won't stretch, and can be washed), a few wire needles, some gimp (the little gold wire that covers and protects the thread where it meets the clasp). Links in the tutorial thread.

Hello Jeremy, thank you for the information on the dyed Chines freshwater pearls. This is a valuable lesson I will never forgot :(

Pearl Dreams, the eBay seller was careful not to say that the necklace was of Tahitian pearls. Based on Jeremy's and your feedback, I probably paid too much for it. I like how the necklace look, however, and will probably keep it. I will check out Lowly Beaders Club - Pattye's Etsy store for the supply to re-strung.

CatsNme, welcome to PG thank you for sharing your experience here...the pearls are lovely and if you are pleased with them, then it's not a complete disappointment. I agree that you should try to restring yourself. And going forward, do take a look at the MANY MANY MANY photos of wonderful pearls here on this forum...ask before you buy, as the many experts here are always willing to offer opinions on quality.

Hello JerseyPearl, you are so sweet. I ordered the supplies from Pattye's Etsy store to re-string the necklace. I will use the tutorial as guide and will post new photo(s) when I finish :eek:

I looked the listing up, CatsNme. Your seller takes returns. 30 days, buyer pays return shipping. You might want to consider that.

Last edited:
Hi Pearl Dreams: Thank you so very much for doing that for me. You found the seller based on the first photo I posted? Wow! Now, I think I will consider returning the necklace. I will contact the seller. Thanks again.

(Edit) I just processed the return request and printed the label. Thank you so much Pearl Dreams. Hope you don't mind getting a big hug. :D

Last edited:
I would have returned it too. That was way too much.

That will be money you can apply toward a strand of real Tahitians, when you find one you want!

Oh, and I love hugs. :) I'm getting some extra ones from my DD before she goes back to college tomorrow.

Back