Granny inheritance

AWeng

Hi all, here's a strand given by my grandma. I loved its various overtones under LED lights. They are 9mm~10mm in size. I'm new here and not a pearl expert, so I was wondering if you all could share some insights with me as to what these pearls are? Thanks a lot! :)

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 29
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 31
Cultured Fresh Water pearls (in a brand new box).

Agreed, cultured Chinese FWP.

That's a nice size, and since they are solid nacre, there is no bead nucleus to wear through if you wear the pearls often. The nacre won't ever wear off.

That said, you still want to take care of them to keep them lustrous. Sweat, perfumes, hair spray, air pollution etc. are not good for pearl nacre. Always put your pearls on last, after you are done applying perfume or hair products. When you take them off, wipe them with a soft cloth (I like to use a microfiber cloth.) You can even dampen the cloth lightly but try not to get the silk wet as the knots may stretch and gap. If you do need to wash the pearls someday, soak them briefly in mild soapy water (not detergent), rinse and wrap them gently in a towel to dry slowly (the silk inside the pearls takes longer to dry.)

Thanks a lot Lisa and Pearl Dreams! It was not worn often by my grandma and she has been keeping it very carefully, so the box looks brand-new! I think this set was purchased 20 years ago.

Well, there's always a first step, isn't there? :)I hope you get lots of pleasure from wearing them, and continue to join us in conversation.

Last edited:
Back