Golden SSPs and turquoise?

cyndayco

Ever since I invested in my golden Wilma Flintones, my first go-to GSSP necklace has stayed at the back of the jewelry case.

The pearls are circled and dyed, but I like their casual elegance that went well with sundresses and jeans. That got me thinking about reconfiguring them with turquoise beads.

Do you think this is a good mix? Or is it sacrilege?

IMG_3446.jpg

Not sacrilege but not to my taste either. There doesn't seem to be anything tying the turquoise to the pearls, it seems somewhat random. The pearls feel casually elegant while the turquoise feels just casual.

If you do go ahead, change the clasp to something with a similar turquoise (although it may be hard to find in gold instead of silver).

Maybe it could work if the turq had a similar tone/color as the pearls .. like a more bluish turq and pearls that had an iridescence of the same tone of blue as turq.... but to get the full effect of how it truly looks, may need to restring just to get a sense (just temporarily).

I like the turq and yellow combo...but I would use a larger turq presence...meaning a bead that is about the same size as the pearls on either side of it...and I would place them randomly. Alternatively, drop shaped pieces of turq could be used to make more of a statement necklace. I think the smaller turq beads get a little lost next to the larger pearls.

No, no, these are all good comments. I knew there was a reason I didn't take my wire cutters to the necklace right away. Thank you all for being my voices of reason.

I think there's real potential here too ... and JerseyPearl said best what I'm thinking :) Bigger turquoise, more "deliberate" presence ... I don't mind nuggets if the right size and arrangements ... but then I spent a lot of time in New Mexico, so my judgement is more like brainwashed when it comes to turquoise LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm also from the Southwest, and really like turquoise, but I just don't see mixing is with golden SS pearls, IMHO. If you want a more casual look, those pearls look like perfect candidates for a long tin cup necklace that can be worn long or doubled. I would put some gold or gold-filled links between the pearls. Maybe something similar to Newberry's necklace?

GSS & WSS tincup (4RG).jpg

Or maybe strung with tiny akoya keshi, like this necklace from Kojima:

Tiny Akoya keshis and 10.5-12.5mm FW (Kojima).jpg

That look would also work with faceted white sapphire beads or other gemstones.

I could also see clusters of pearls separated by gold chain and beads:

10-12mm baroque Tahitians in 3s alternating with gold nuggets.jpg

Just a few options to think about.

I like the tin cup idea.

Or perhaps smooth turquoise rondels, with a shape echoing that of the pearls, would work. Something this shape, perhaps, but in a truer blue, not so greenish: http://www.stachurawholesalegemstones.com/chinese-turquoise-rondels.html. Then a nice turquoise clasp to finish off. Since the rondels would add a significant length, the extra pearls could be used for a tin cup. Best of both worlds!

I actually have three tin cups--one with semi-baroque Tahitians, and another, a mixed set of golden, white & grey SSP keshis, buttons, and tall buttons. They literally do not sit well with me. They go this way and that, and never stay put.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'll take Lady Disdain's earlier suggestion and think this through.

pearlturq.jpg
I believe this is African Turquoise (with glass pearls). I love this look.

Back