What I've learned about wire wrapping and jewelry making in the last couple weeks

Kat - oh I definitely mean gold filled wire. I haven't even come close to considering working with real gold! I'd very much prefer a professional piece with that kind of investment :) I'm still looking for a decent local supplier, online is great but since I'm in Canada my selection is a bit more limited (higher shipping costs and longer waiting times from popular US places) Very true about correcting mistakes...I can't count the number of times I closed and wrapped the loop before inserting the next part of my necklace. At least I got lots of practice!

Cathy - thank you!

Here's my completed second project with the UFO shaped pearls. I ended up using the little rondelles after all.

IMG_0759.jpg

Great job Karman! I love tin-cups and wire-wrapping too. I also use the tuck method, but I'm curious about the rounding too. I started off practicing a lot with cheapy craft wire then progressed to precious metals. It's also a good idea to invest in decent tools when you're ready. Your hands will thank you!

I have never had a burr issue with my Lindstrom wire cutters.

Thanks Kat- they sell a lot of head pins but I just need a shop with a good selection of wire gauges, type and material! I have what I need for now. :)

I haven't had issues with the wire ends yet. I'm able to tuck them so far. Maybe that'll change once I lose my patience for doing wrapping slowly :D

Karmen--That is absolutely beautiful! Such a wonderful and balanced design and use of color and sparkle! Kudos!

Oh, I really like your new tin cup. Great design and stone mix. I like tucking my wire ends; for my OCD, a wire wrapped piece would be incomplete without tucking. On the neck I bet it's not noticeable either way.

Thank you everyone for your kind words! it was inspired by a Chanel necklace that I had (but sold) a few years ago. I wore the necklace for the first time yesterday and because the pearls are a little heavy, the necklace doesn't quite sit the way I want but as many have pointed out that's the great thing about making your own :)

Kat - thank you :)

MSC - I've just been cutting the wire maybe 1-2 mm from where I want the wrap to end, then I pinch down really hard so nothing sticks out. I'm not sure if that counts as "tucking" or if that's just finish wrapping?

Last edited:
I like to make Tin cups with equal spacing on gold filled 1.8mm round rolo, Finding the mm needed for space on beading board. Quick size note a standard wood pencil is 6.5 mm diameter.

Here's a picture.
031etsy.jpg

Lloyd

Very nice, Lloyd! I like the gold chain, but also the relationship of pearl size to spacing.

Back