Golden Pearls

csmcpng

Hi all, just to let you know that gold pearls are produced in Papua New Guinea as well as Indonesia & Philipines. I have been farming hatchery produced gold lip pinctada maxima shells & pearls since 2000. All publications I read never mention PNG as a producer. Well, now you all know. SAM_2791.jpg. regards, Kim Harvey

Welcome Kim! In case you haven't noticed, we LOVE pearls, esp GSSPs!!!

Loved reading the old thread about PNG. Thanks for posting the link, PD.

Welcome Kim ... looks like beautiful pearls, and fascinating. Please tell us more :)

Pearl Dreams, thanks for reviving that old thread; one I'd missed.

Hello, Kim, amd welcome to the forum! I'm looking forward to hearing more about your farm. As an avid scuba diver, PNG has been on my list of places I would love to visit for years...the presence of a pearl farm just bumped it up a few notches! I'm always trolling for places willing to put me up in a hut for a week in exchange for my slave labor...I'm an experienced oyster de-mucker and a great pearl sorter...let's talk!!!!!

Hello, Kim, amd welcome to the forum! I'm looking forward to hearing more about your farm. As an avid scuba diver, PNG has been on my list of places I would love to visit for years...the presence of a pearl farm just bumped it up a few notches! I'm always trolling for places willing to put me up in a hut for a week in exchange for my slave labor...I'm an experienced oyster de-mucker and a great pearl sorter...let's talk!!!!!

I'll share a hut with you! What a great adventure.

Hi again folks, I have the only pearl farm in PNG and are located at Samarai Island, Milne Bay Province. Am originally from Broome Western Australia where as a bullet proof 23 year old decided to become a pearl diver & spent from 1979 - 1990 pearl diving. When I became too old for that side of it I went into farm setting up/management and was one of the first aussie's to be trained by the Japanese to seed. Came here to PNG in 2000, spent a couple of years diving for suitable shell to seed, seeded them, grew pearls and the results were pretty good so built a hatchery 2003 and have been producing ever since. That's it in a nutshell folksL1164239.jpg

What a great story and life! I'm sure there are ups and downs, but from here, it's like a fairy tale! Are most of your pearls white or gold ssps? You have no idea how much I wish there was an enlargement option on the photos to see the pearls up close! :D

Your story is fascinating, Kim! It's very rare for the Japanese Techs to train others, I've heard. You really know the pearl business from the inside out. We'd like to reach through the computer monitor and roll those pearls around too! Do you have problems with storms in PNG?
Are you finding any particular unique characteristics in your pearls? A number of us are especially fond of baroque and keshi shapes, although of course the rounds are gorgeous and most valuable.

Another bump! Whishing csmcpng would give us an update!

Hi, I second that! With the global situations, we hope everyone’s healthy, as well.

Back