Gimp

I was trying to get a macro view of the gimp on my camera, but the battery went low-and those were the batteries I borrowed from my TV remote, :mad: so I gotta wait until the recharagables get a charge, grrrr.

I have used several little pakages of gimp in the past year. I buy it in small, medium and large in 14" lengths. Someone who had it in longer lengths was out. I use it to finish everything, even the ones I string on wire. I have done dozens of necklaces in the last 6 months. maybe dozens and dozens and dozens counting all the ones I did over until satisfied. I use fresh gimp every time. No point in trying to save the old stuff, even if it was just done.

This whole thing about 14K gimp has really got my goat! I just can't wrap my mind around using something other than 14 or 18K gold with an expensive clasp. Soooo.....I called GIA and spoke with the person who teaches the pearl course. Could NOT believe what she said!!! :eek: "Don't use gimp."

Whaaaat?

Also spoke with the person who does the restringing for a huge national company...she also said there is no 14K gold gimp, that she uses gold plate and if I can find some let her know where....LOL!

So....this leads me to my problem. I am stringing a gorgeous strand of Akoya pearls with a WHITE gold clasp.

My choices are now to either use sterling silver gimp :eek: OR do the fun little wrap around the loop like all my old Mikimotos have. I'm leaning towards the silk wrapping on the loop as I've yet to have gimp not begin to fray.

What would you do in this situation? Caitlin...I'm especially interested in your response since I know you use gimp and have high standards! :)

Bumping back up to the top at the risk of being obnoxious. :p

Nice akoya pearls, 14karat white gold clasp.

Should I use Sterling silver gimp or none at all. Don't want to take a chance of any fraying of gimp.

Thank you for your advice! :)

Did you purchase the gimp? Yes, it does appear sterling is the best available. I know that flies in the face of the consumer's expectation that if it says one type of metal, everything is that metal. Anyway, sterling gimp doesn't really fray, (I think I used the word fray before) but it does bur when it's cut sometimes. Just make a clean cut with a side flush cutter and you're good to go. Scissors will bur it. Work gingerly with it. Nudge it in and out of it's little case. It looses it's shape easily. If you're careful with it, one little pack will last you through hundreds of necklaces.

Hi Danachit
I like gimp. It gives a nice finish to any necklace. I use sterling except when i have to use the gold plated. If you gently pull it tight, it generally doesn't fray or burr. I have seen some that do, but most I have seen the gimp is not the reason for the restring.

As for the GIA pearl stringing course---Jeremy is the one who said "Don't take it!" Besides I think they teach the "one thread" method, which is really hard to get the knots seated correctly......

Down this LINK are some tiny niobium coil findings that are never called 'gimp' but seem to fit the specs. Has anyone tried them as gimp? Just remembered of those and this thread browsing for wearable earwire.

Just from the picture, it looks awfully stiff for gimp. And the coil that fits 12 ga. wire? Waba! Wish the colors were more visible.

The gimp I use is made in Switzerland, Griffin and A & F. I get it from House of Jewellery in Sydney. They tell me it's the best (though they said that about Griffin silk, and I much prefer Guderbrod, though of course I can't get that in Australia, so I buy in bulk from the US). I tried (much cheaper) Beadalon gimp, and think its rubbish. Whatever Griffin and A & F are they feel totally different.. much heavier. I'm working towards buying a bulk lot from Firemountain (have to get lots to make the postage worthwhile)

Griffin and Beadalon are the same thing. I never heard of A&F. Does anyone have a Rio Grande catalog? That's why I've never ordered from them. I have to pay for the catalog then, what if I don't buy anything ever?

There must be different qualities then. The lot I got labelled Beadalon was flimsy and light, the unlabelled boxes they said are Griffin have a much heavier and more 'liquid' feel (and cost 3 times as much as the beadalon)

knotty panda said:
Just from the picture, it looks awfully stiff for gimp.

Now that you mentioned, it does!

How does one resist the urge of beading along? ;)

Ok, I'm laughing! Baaaaaaaaaaaad! LOL

Cathybear said:
I tried (much cheaper) Beadalon gimp, and think its rubbish. Whatever Griffin and A & F are they feel totally different.. much heavier. I'm working towards buying a bulk lot from Firemountain (have to get lots to make the postage worthwhile)

Oops sorry I'm wrong, I just stumbled accross the gimp I don't like, it's Beadsmith not Beadalon (the needles Caitlin reccomended are Beadalon... I got some of those and they're great!)

Help, I am having trouble with my little box of gimp! I think it's silver or plated with something but it has tarnished! Now it has got me thinking that it would be a disaster if the gimp tarnishes on my strand. That would mean I would need to re-string! Has anyone had this problem before?

I was thinking of getting some pearls to string myself as a gift for my mum this Xmas but she wears silver very poorly - silver tarnishes within days on her. I can't really understand why but it might have something to do with some of the medication she takes.

I can get a plated clasp but I'm in a panic about the gimp? Is there such a thing as a gimp that won't tarnish and does anyone know where to get this? Or can I coat it with something to stop the tarnish?

This is a wonderful thread though. Before this I had never even heard of gimp and now I know it is the professional standard. I love the healthy debate between bead clamp and gimp.

Thank you so much to everyone for sharing all your expert ideas with us newbies.

You could try gold plated instead, with a plated, filled or vermeil clasp rather than experiment with silver solutions. Never heard of gimp tarnishing in the box though.

You could try gold plated instead, with a plated, filled or vermeil clasp rather than experiment with silver solutions. Never heard of gimp tarnishing in the box though.

Thanks for the tip, Wendy. I never even thought gimp would tarnish at all but I asked my friend who deals with silver and she said that I should not really touch it with my fingers and use only tweezers when handling it. The other thing is, I often neglect to place the top back on the box after cutting some off and he thinks that I may have stored it with some rubber in the drawer with it. When I checked, sure enough, I have an open bag of rubber bands in there. Who would've thought...apparently, natural rubber can tarnish silver very rapidly especially in the humid weather. Most of it is still fine but it's the potential to tarnish that is making me worry.

It can be so frustrating working with silver.

Just goes to show, you can learn how to string but there's a whole heap of other stuff that still has to come in hard knocks. Thank you so much for your prompt reply. I will look into other options and better storage issues.

I had the same thing happen with a packet of needles too but this was rust and not tarnish as the needles were made of steel. So, I think the moral to this story is to approach any unused gimp or needles with caution, a pair of tweezers and to make sure things are properly sealed.
No fingers and keep any silver things away from rubber and leather according to those in the know.

I would have thought that handling gimp with tweezers would squish it. My big tip for gimp is to cut up the whole strip in one go..then you can dab out the piece you want with a damp fingertip. If you keep handling it by cutting it as you need it it will invariably end up stretched and kinked and very irritiating

....should not really touch it with my fingers and use only tweezers when handling it. QUOTE]
Really? I wonder why, when eventually it will come into contact with skin, when the necklace is worn. If it cant 'handle' being handled whilst being made, it doesnt say much for its wearability.
I have much to learn,
signed Grasshopper (AKA Purlgurl)

I would have thought that handling gimp with tweezers would squish it. My big tip for gimp is to cut up the whole strip in one go..then you can dab out the piece you want with a damp fingertip. If you keep handling it by cutting it as you need it it will invariably end up stretched and kinked and very irritiating
Great hint Wendy, I have had to become an expert at re winding (inherited) gimp, which was badly kinked. I just use sewing needles of various gauges to get the diameter required.

Back