Gimp

Hi Bernadette,
Yes, the 2 strands that had string wound over the french wire were both really old. I wish I'd taken pictures but I only discovered the french wire under the winding of thread after I'd taken the necklace apart. I thought it might be done because the wire was much larger and courser than the wire I see on new things, some of which is so fine it takes good eyes or a loupe to even tell it's wire.
I've found both sterling silver and gold plate but no solid gold french wire in internet stores. Does anyone know where 14k french wire can be obtained? Since it needs to be replaced each time the strand is re-strung plate or ss may be okay. It won't have time to rub off.

All,
I know there are many books available with general directions on stringing and knotting but I do appreciate the opinions expressed here, especially since often those opinions represent a unique style or function. Maybe we need to start another thread devoted to particular aspects of stringing. Topics I'd like to see discussed concern thread size to hole size, mixing beads with different hole sizes, colored thread, mixing gem quality pearls with other beads, special techniques for odd shaped beads....

thread size to hole size, mixing beads with different hole sizes, colored thread, mixing gem quality pearls with other beads, special techniques for odd shaped beads....
Hi Taylor
That sounds like enough topics for a whole separate Forum section for the stringing of pearls/beads with its own sub-topics.

All beaders (lowly and otherwise)
Do you think there would be enough interest to expand the bead section to cover all the beading topics you mentioned that cross over to beading with pearls----and more?

Is there any good beading forum on the net?

Last edited:
Hi all
I like the shaved silk and gum arabic technique to make a "needle". Henrietta immortalized it in her classic book, which title slips my mind at the moment, but it is posted here somewhere... I like to use a double thread though, and getting both ends shaved and glued together to make one needle is at least an intermediate technique, but one that all lowly beaders could master. Did you know Gum arabic was a trick ballet dancers use to re-stiffen up the boxes of our sweat-softened toe shoes to make them last one more class?

In my post on using 2 threads because it is a great technique for controlling the knot, I did not go into starting and finishing the strands, or various kinds of needles. That is a subject I will take up in the near future unless someone wants to beat me to it.;)

I recognize the authority with which Bernadette writes and I am glad she posts here to give a professional pearl stringer's opinon. Bernadette is wise to remind us that fine quality pearls deserve natural threads.
Theres a growing trend of "crafters" taking their wirework processes and applying it to pearls without any appreciation of what the long term effects would be.
I would like to hear an elaboration on above statement. what wold it do to what kind of pearls?
I shamelessly use softflex on cheap, commercial quality pearls. I also use it when I am designing and have not decided on a final pattern. Even though knotting is fast, I don't like to take them apart when knotted, just to change the style a little.:rolleyes:

Some of my natural pearls from Bahrain have holes that indicate they may have been threaded with wire at one time. I believe it is called Portuguese style? (ZESPA) That kind of hole is also evidence supporting the age of those pearls at 200 years give or take. So the wire stringing obviously did not affect the longevity of a natural pearl. I would imagine it would wreck the nacre around the drill hole of an akoya PPB though!

Last edited:
This thread got me thinking about the current sources of "Gimp" -sooooo I did some research the last couple of days.

Now I didnt have much success on finding 14K (or14ct depending on your pref) - BUT - I did locate some information on a Spanish manufacturer that produces fine gold wires (as in quality not size) and amongst his products that he will make "On demand" is 3 sizes of Gimp

So - if your prepared to buy a minimum of 500Grams and fork out approximately $1600 Australian then it will be made for you.

Alternately - the British still make high quality gimp from what is called "Admiralty standard" wire - effectively somewhat similar to rolled gold\goldfilled material in that it starts with a bar of White metal (Typically silver) with a layer of gold applied that is calculated to produce an effective assay value of 2% gold - this is then repeatedly drawn through smaller and smaller dies until the final diameter is reached - and then wound into the final product.

Hi!

There must be something out there that could be used as spacers between pearls and gems and gold. Perhaps a small clear rubber washer or rubber bead of some sort.

Karen

There is - but its a tightly kept secret amongst the innermost sanctum of the guild of stringers - its called - "a knot" :)

Okay so thats the humerous answer.

On the serious side I have seen silicon rubber spacers on high end south sea strands. Where they come from I dont know - it wasnt something that really floated my boat as I use the secret "stringers knot".

Bernadette said:
There is - but its a tightly kept secret amongst the innermost sanctum of the guild of stringers - its called - "a knot" :)

Okay so thats the humerous answer.

On the serious side I have seen silicon rubber spacers on high end south sea strands. Where they come from I dont know - it wasnt something that really floated my boat as I use the secret "stringers knot".

I have heard of knots before but I can't find much info. about them.:D

Beadalon carries "bead bumpers" or you can use Delica seed beads to simulate knotting.

jewel457 said:
Further more, I have yet to come across French Wire in 14k or SS. This wire is most often offered as plated base metal. Put that with a 14k or whatever precious metal and we are cheater our customers.

Fire Mountain carries SS french wire in varying widths and Vermeil french wire (Sterling bonded with a high karet gold). I have used both for many years and have found it to be extremely reliable. It does not breakdown as plated french wire does. I have not been able to find 14kt. french wire and as far as I can tell, and my finding resources have verified, 14 kt. french wire is not used in the industry. But just because I can't find it, does not mean it isn't being manufactured somewhere in the world. Please continue to search as will I.

Staying up late thinking 'bout bullion...

Staying up late thinking 'bout bullion...

Wow, this thread has some great info! I, too, like the polished look of gimp but have had a hard time finding some that won't 'fray' after time. I'm about to place an order for some sterling silver and vermeille (sp?). HOWEVER....I'm not sure which size to purchase.
They offer a 0.8mm, a 1.0mm, and a 1.1mm, I think. I'll be using it with silk and medium sized akoya pearls for a traditional necklace.

Also, I've been looking over all the pearls I've inherited and also some old gorgeous graduated strands of friends and none have gimp....just the silk directly on the loop. Is this common with older pearls?

Thank you!!

Dana

The size of the gimp should be based on the size of your thread. You don't want the smallest size gimp with thick thread. You want the gimp to move down the thread smoothly.

Thank you Knotty Panda.... I just checked and I have Gudebrod size D silk thread. It doesn't say squat about it's mm width. :confused:
Hmmm......I'm tempted to order the 1.0 AND the .8 and testing it.

Or you can go to your local bead store and ask their recommendation.

Thanks! Will do.... The bead shop near me mainly deals in glass beads and craft style bracelets but maybe they'll have some bullion or know about it.

I appreciate you responding. Your posts here on this forum have been so incredibly informative. I can't tell you how much I've learned just in the last 24 hours. (I stayed up LATE reading till my eyes were like :eek: ...LOL!) Seriously...thank you for sharing so much. :)

If the price of the gimp is in your budget, go ahead and buy all the sizes. You may find you use it to cover beading wire and other stringing products as well. And thank you for the kind comments.

I've been looking at expensive strands of pearls and they all have gimp. I've dug into the bowels of wholesale finding suppliers and can't find 14K gimp. Do you really think they're stringing these strands on gold plate gimp or vermeil?
Would it make more sense that they are making gimp with 30 gauge 14K wire? Has anyone here tried this? Thank you!! :)

Gimp is not round, it's flat. 14KT wire would not be supple enough to make gimp, not even 30 ga. Rio Grande, who is the probably the most respected jewelry supplier in the U.S., does not carry 14KT gimp (the last time I checked was about 5 years ago). At that time they only supplied base metal gimp. So, I suspect high end suppliers are not making their own, but they are using base metal rather than plated. The vendors on this site all do their own stringing. Ask what they use.

knotty panda said:
Gimp is not round, it's flat.

What?? All the little packets of gimp I buy are always round. And it says GIMP on the little packets in big letters too! Gimp is flat? I can't find any real karat gold gimp anywhere either. I use the plated or vermeiled kind and that's okay because it gets tossed and renewed on each restring. Real sterling gimp(?) is ease to find though.

Slraep

How many packets do you use? I've only bought two in I guess it must be 5 years and I probably won't have to buy more for another 5 years. One sterling and one vermeil. They both are flat. I must have purchased some plated before. I don't remember the packaging but I do remember how it broke down. Maybe we're getting confused here. The actual gimp itself is coiled, but the wire is flat.

I use gold plated or vermeil gimp not only because I haven't found any 14kt but also because the little gimp-loops don't touch the skin. Actually I have yet to see the gold plating wear through, though it will become discolored.

I would rather use sterling, but I get a few restring jobs with gold clasps

Look at the job of restringing done on this one!!!!:eek: It is a baroque akoya from the 1940's and shows some wear around the drill holes. I'll take a pic after I am done with it.

Attachments

• cynthia's baroque akoya 002.jpg
    cynthia's baroque akoya 002.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 47
Back