GIA Pearl Tour - Eyris Blue Pearls - New Zealand

Fingers crossed!

... but... your pearl is larger and nicer then the one in the necklace - quite obviously so, methinks.

And I was merely reffering to the way the drop there was 'capped' too. Now that ImageShack consents to upload pictures for me again, THIS is what I had in mind.

That's very nice! And there are the colored gemstones... ;)

That's very nice! And there are the colored gemstones... ;)
Agree with Caitlin, that's an exceptional tooth-shaped ab. Not too sure I'd limit an appraisal to per-carat pricing, given the surface perfection. Too unique!

The elegant chain necklace offered by Valeria101 is now on my list of all-time favorites. I will carry an image with me to any future discussion of custom work?

Agree with Caitlin, that's an exceptional tooth-shaped ab. Not too sure I'd limit an appraisal to per-carat pricing, given the surface perfection. Too unique!

The elegant chain necklace offered by Valeria101 is now on my list of all-time favorites. I will carry an image with me to any future discussion of custom work?

Jeremy S. showed it to Jeremy Norris, who stopped by his office and he gave a further valuation - you can't do better than that.

I went back and looked at Valeria's necklace again just because I could. This time I noticed that the pearls could be twins! ;)

GemGeek said:
I went back and looked at Valeria's necklace again just because I could. This time I noticed that the pearls could be twins! ;)

:eek: Got to do something about this.... these collage things keep looking too real for their own good.

Your pearl is beyond beautiful! On a second (tenth? :)) look, I've noticed that the top is also unblemished - this one doesn't even need a cover on the top end.

Any idea if these pearls are usually solid enough to be drilled just anywhere? Are there hollow spaces inside? How are abalone pearls drilled after all ?! Whoever knows how to handle these rarities?

A lucky jeweler will have a fun day setting this pearl :cool:

gravityalwayswins said:
I just found this there! It's so different and unique... of course this would blow the pearl budget for about 10 years, but OMG!!! (My husband says he'd like to have a word with you...)

Husband wants to talk? Sure: :cool: I can take commissions :p [kidding]

10 years worth of pearls? No.... Not on this forum! :(

Jeremy S. showed it to Jeremy Norris, who stopped by his office and he gave a further valuation - you can't do better than that.

Were you privy to the valuation?

Yes, the pearls are amazingly well matched, incredible for asymmetrical pearls. Just think if they could be paired. Valeria101, is that necklace for sale?

Were you privy to the valuation?

Yes, the pearls are amazingly well matched, incredible for asymmetrical pearls. Just think if they could be paired. Valeria101, is that necklace for sale?

I hate to tell you this, but my pearl was photoshopped onto the necklace by our ace artist Valeria! :eek:

The visual balance of the gemstones from one side to the other is incredibly pleasing. Did that get photoshopped in as well?

Last edited by a moderator:
GemGeek said:
Did that get photo-shopped in as well?

A long, long time ago, for another poster, on another forum... who actually had this made with diamonds 'reused' from older jewelry. It is a simple design - since you'd have to have it made on order with the chosen colors and sizes of tiny colored stones... there's no restriction for what goes where.

As much as I know, the chain is a simple project: a matter of finding small stones, which should not be a problem. The colors were added to fit the pearl: there are obviously several alternative gem materials for intense green, blue and blue-green in ... 3-4mm stones if I have that right. They could all be tourmalines and one sapphire, for example. If your jeweler gets tired just considering the search for them, you might as well pester Gene (www.precisiongem.com). Steve Perry (www.steveperrygems.com) often has fine small stones... And there are others, of course.

The bale for the pearl would be the most intricate part methinks, and I have no idea whatsoever how such a pearl can be 'handled' (pierced? not?... Xray to decide?).

2c

You are getting me in trouble wanting a multicolour necklace like that! :rolleyes: Not that it takes much :cool:

What size is the pearl? I am having trouble translating 30cts into millimeters for such a shape...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm having dinner with the pearl tonight so I'll get an idea of the size. I've already been threatened about giving it back...;)

If anyone else was curious about the price of that incredible Edwardian abalone pearl necklace, thought I'd pass on the sad news that it has been sold. Not to me, alas! For a mere $25,000...

HOWEVER, I took the plunge and bought a similar unset tooth-shaped ab pearl yesterday...can't wait to get it and start dreaming of faboo creations...something wild and primitive and precious and nouveau...

Ooooh, this site is DANGEROUS!!!!!

Sheri

Here is the abalone pearl in my hand...
octavia observes pearl.jpg

The back is pale and has a few scratches, the end is not bad, and the front could be darker, but it was fabulous. The colors shifted across the front of the pearl when I moved it, with depth, such as I haven't seen before. True interference colors. ;)

abalone.jpg

You can see the colors on the end, too, so it would be a shame to cover it. I didn't measure it, but it was between 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 inches long. I can't wait to see the abalone pearls at Pearl Paradise to compare the surface qualities.

Cheers,
Blaire

If anyone else was curious about the price of that incredible Edwardian abalone pearl necklace, thought I'd pass on the sad news that it has been sold. Not to me, alas! For a mere $25,000...

HOWEVER, I took the plunge and bought a similar unset tooth-shaped ab pearl yesterday...can't wait to get it and start dreaming of faboo creations...something wild and primitive and precious and nouveau...

Ooooh, this site is DANGEROUS!!!!!

Sheri

Hopefully the new owner will wear it sometime so that it not disappears in a vault, never to be seen. Lovely necklace.

:)

Guess not everyone buys the "natural pearls aren't as good as cultured" line . . . :)

Perle

Stewart Island New Zealand

Stewart Island New Zealand is the home to Eyris Blue Pearls new on land pearl farm I thought you would like to see how most of Eyris Pearls are produced. Roger will be in the US at JCK Las Vegas he will be at Imperial in the Plumb Club

Hi pbazar
Can you invite him to Tucson next year? You come to Tucson, don't you?

Blaire
I just reread this whole thread. It is so well done, we may have to resurrect the Pearlitzer Prize for best photo essay. I bet Octavia would like that!

Back