GIA Dreams of Diamonds Exhibition - Basra Pearls

GemGeek

Pearlista
GIA Dreams of Diamonds Exhibition - Basra Pearls

We often argue about the term "Basra" to describe pearls because today it is almost meaningless. That is because Basra is used for any pearls that look like Basra pearls. These pearls are the real deal!

20150429_183400.jpg

Follow the link below to the article to see the video!

https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/content.php?r=270-GIA-Dreams-of-Diamonds-Exhibition-Basra-Pearls

I agree. It would be wonderful if the necklace could tell stories. Something so magnificent must have seen some drama! :)

Yes, I made the video in person. I had to hurry as I got in just before the madding throng and made quick shots of most of the pieces. I didn't realize how short the video was, and even I felt a bit cheated, but you can see the scintillation of the diamonds very well. And there is a great shot of the whole necklace in the GIA article linked at the top of our Pearls of the Week.

This was one of the times that made me forever grateful that I am invited to GIA special events. They went all out to showcase the diamonds and the special book that was the inspiration for the event. The people who created the book told some great stories about getting the photos, including one where they had waited too long to visit white peacocks for a diamond shoot and showed up when the birds had molted and were basically naked. ;)

Back