FW pearl nucleation?

T

tahitiangirl

Hi everyone. I just had a question about fw nucleation. Would it be very obvious if fw pearls were nucleated with a bead nucleus and not a tissue nucleus?

It used to be very obvious. Now "South Sea Pearl" necklaces are being sold on eBay that have decent bead-nucleated freshwater pearls. In this case, they are yanking the pearls out before they get a chance to get enough coating to get off-round.

I guessed that the Ikecho pearls I bought at Tucson last year were bead nukes because the size was a dead give-away. My regular pearl vendor, John, always tags the pearls that are bead-nuked. If you have a concern, only buy from someone you trust to disclose that kind of information.

As they get better at making good bead nucleated freshwater pearls, it will become less obvious. For now, you might be able to see into the drill hole enough to spot a bead. If you carry a loupe with you, it has a two-fold benefit - it will be easier to see if there is a nacre shell around the bead, and, just pulling it out may be enough to make the vendor cough up the information on their own. ;)

If a freshwater pearl is bead nucleated it will usually be noticeable. I will direct you to an excellent article that has photos and an in depth explanation into recent developments in freshwater pearl nucleation.
https://www.pearl-guide.com/innovation-continues-in-chinese-freshwater-pearl-culture.shtml
3pearls.jpg

Hi Jun Wei,

Good photos, thank you! The last photo shows great examples of good quality "flame ball" or "fire ball" pearls, with "keishi tail", as they are often described.

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Hi Pattye,

there are also other forms for bead-nucleated pearls. I have sold two piece round pearls with ca.12 mm and intensive color. In the long term, they can change the pearl world (bad for SSP). but at moment, they are still seldom and expansive. Here a picture for drop form (the bead has also drop form).

Attachments

• zk11.jpg
    zk11.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 40
Those nukes look great! BTW, are the nuclei still the giant clam shell?

Hi,

I do not know which nuclei is used. I will ask them if I meet them in the future.
The best are used for drop earrings, which are really beautiful.
Jun

Have you cut any of those drops in half? I am referring to the most recent picture. The reason I ask is because I have never witnessed drop-bead nucleation in freshwater, and the pearls appear to be normal, non-beaded drops. Without a split pearl I would not believe they are nucleated.

I agree. While the first are clearly bead-nucleated pearls the second batch does not appear to be.

It would not make sense to me either. If the farmers were able to produce beaded drops from beaded shapes this would mean that they have devised a consistent way to ensure that the pearl sac completely envelops the nucleus. If this method were perfected we would see an abudance of beaded rounds and fewer fireballs.

The coin and other shapes are different. They are thin and can be placed in the mantle during the initial first graft. A drop-shaped bead would not fit.

I have not cut the pearls into pieces. But I think what they told me is true, because my family is in Zhuji. The pearls have metallic luster like fireballs. They are also different from coin pearls, which are too common and cheap.
They still have not mastered the technology. The death rate is too high and most pearls have tails because of breathing or black spot. Also most of pearls are barock.
I have ordered other bead-nucleated pearls, which will be larger and better. I will add some photos in the next week after I receive them.

I guess what we are saying is that if they were to culture with a drop-shaped bead the drop-shape pearls would have tails. But they don't. The tails that are on fireballs come from the loose pearl sac that does not completely envelop the bead implant after the second grafting operation.

Ann mentioned coins because flat shapes can be used during the initial operation (they fit in the mantle between the valves) and this is why those shapes do not have tails. A drop-shape bead would be a second or third-graft operation and would have the same characteristics as spherical-beaded pearls - most of them would have tails.

This is why they do not really make sense. No tails on drop-beaded pearls would indicate that the producer found a way to also create spherical-beaded pearls without tails consistently.

There are some spherical-beaded pearls. They are seldom. I have gotten 6 pieces with diameter 10.8 mm, 11.4mm and 11.8mm. The price is more than half of SSP. I try to get more, but it does not succeed.

Hi Jeremy,

Last year in Tucson, I purchased a strand of fireballs from Sea Hunt. They are 13 - 14 mm, very high-end, and many of the pearls appear to me to be a drop shape. Jack says they are bead nucleated and I certainly would not disagree with him. Several pearl dealers in NYC have complemented me by saying, "your South Sea pearls are gorgeous"!:p

I'll try to post a picture of them in the next few days, but if I am unable to do so, I'll show them to you in Tucson.

Actually, I showed them to you last year at the Strack lecture.......you seemed impressed!

Gail

I believe it, but I would be very surprised if the bead is drop-shape. I have seen a lot of fireballs that come in all sorts of shapes, but as far as I know they are all produced with round implants.

I think I misunderstood what was originally said.:confused:
What I thought you were saying was that bead nucleated fireballs were not drop shaped; but I now I think I understand you to mean......the Chinese are not using beads that are shaped like a drop. Sorry if I misunderstood.

Gail

Hi Jeremy,

I have called my friends and he has contact with the farmer.

The pearls in drop form in the picture is bead-nucleated, but the nuclei are round, not drop form.

Here are some pearls, whose are bead -nucleated and the nuclei are button form. The pearls were brought for the last fair and have a size of ca. 11x13 mm. At first look, they are similar to normal barock pearls. The price is also reasonable (I offer them with 30-35 Euro/piece). If one look them carefully, something is different. I tried to cut them into two parts. But it is easier to cut the finger than the pearls. I had to give up after 15 minute test and used brutal force to remove the shell.

The nuclei are about 8,8-9,2 mm. The shell is 1mm thick.

Attachments

• x5.jpg
    x5.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 30
  • x7.jpg
    x7.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Back