Freshwater pearl jewelry from hawaii....

Luckykelleyk

I got this pendant and ring when I was in hawaii, maybe 5 years ago. I pretty much forgot about them, and just found them. I love this pendant though! I really don't remember anything about the pearls, but they appear to be natural freshwaters.

2272377238_c17a7119a4.jpg

2272377438_e6d3302025.jpg

2271584015_4e4a3b551f.jpg

2271583829_db89511ec5.jpg

(If anyone is interested in purchasing these pieces (together), send me a pm.)

Last edited:
Well, look at you!

Great start on a pearl wardrobe! Love these items, the gold swirls around the pearls like surf on the beach!

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Well, look at you!

Great start on a pearl wardrobe! Love these items, the gold swirls around the pearls like surf on the beach!

Pattye

I also have a pearl ring being made right now (with a lavender pearl from pearl paradise) and some pearl and diamond earrings. AND , I REALLY want a tahitian pearl solitaire necklace. Maybe with my tax return money? This is going to turn into a real problem... haha.

Those are worthy of some research. I think the pearls are also two different stories.

The ring setting is unusual and could possibly be one of a kind or one of a sequence and could be older than 5 years. If someone can date it and say where the setting originated or identify who made it, it would help tell us something about the pearl.

I never heard of freshwater pearl collecting in Hawaii either natural or farmed, so I am fairly sure the pearls are from elsewhere. I would want to rule out that they came from China. Where did you buy them-what kind of store- and what did they tell you?

The mabe---it looks like a half pearl to me, must be Chinese and cultured because there were no mabes cultured in America. If I am wrong about any of this, would someone please speak up?

May we see the back of the pendent? And a side view?

2271751769_5149ffacf9.jpg

2272544606_4c374a020f.jpg

2271751667_c96f383efc.jpg

It is definitely a half pearl, as it is completely flat in the back. Both of the settings look like they could be one of a kind, probably custom made for the pearls themselves? I got these pieces at a small jewelry store in the Royal Hawaiian in Honolulu. Even if they did tell me anything about the pearls, I don't remember. I doubt I asked though ( I was 16-18 at the time and didn't know anything about pearls, or what to ask) . I also wonder how much these items (specifically the ring) might be worth? Although beautiful, I hardly ever wear yellow gold, and I don't think I would ever wear the ring. If it were worth it to sell it I would, and use the money to get something that I would wear....

Last edited:
Just a thought--

You might look into having the pieces plated in white metal, my D-I-L has her wedding set done--looks great. No doubt they would remove and later reset the pearl, but probably could be done for a reasonable amount.

Pattye

I don't know, I don't think that they would look very good in white gold! The style of the ring is also a reason I would want to sell it. It is a beautiful piece of art, I just probably wouldn't wear it (I haven't for years )

Thanks to both of you. With the new pictures, I see it is an actual pearl, not a mabe. If it is keshi, it is not natural and it most likely came from China.

As for the baroque, it looks like a baroque freshwater, natural or cultured. That is the trouble with freshwaters, it is hard to tell the old naturals from the new cultured ones.

The setting looks modern, with a look back to art nouveau shapes. The Royal Hawaian was selling mostly, if not all, newly made jewelry, top of the line, often made by local artisans -and sophisticated ones at that. Artisans who had access to the latest and best materials could have gotten new Chinese cultured baroques a lot easir than century old natural freshwaters from America. Unless you can show the ring is old, I would go with Chinese.

Now if you had gotten the ring in an area of the US where they are still selling natural freshwater pearls, you would know it, because they advertise it loudly and feel bound to educate you about these mussle-y creations. If they had been kicking around your grandmothers' jewelry box or passed down by auntie, they would more likely be old, wild, Freshwaters.

In any case they are both wonderful pieces with beautiful pearls.

could anyone take a guess at how much the ring might be worth? It is size 6, 14k gold, and the pearl has no damage at all.

Hum,
they do resemble the druzy pearls available nowadays, not very expensive either. I sure would want to see a certificate of naturals on that one, for that price.

Pattye

I agree with Pattye. Pattye and I looked at thousands of single Chinese AND American freshwater pearls, all baroques and wings.
The Chinese had the drusy patterns, not one American had it. I would agree that they are natural colors.

Here is another purported natural American Pearl necklace. It was photographed on a jeweler's counter in a southern state know for freshwater pearls. I was asked to keep the details quiet. The asking price was 10k. I'd want to see proof on this one too. They are so well matched for size and color, how many pearls would it take to make this? Since most Americans don't seem to be round, it would be a real tour de forrce to acheive this one!

Attachments

• american pearl necklace.JPG
    american pearl necklace.JPG
    14.4 KB · Views: 43
Although I think these are beautiful, I would like them to belong to someone who would actually wear them. If anyone would like to purchase these pieces, just send me a pm.

Last edited:
I would add the side view photo of your ring. The photos here are much better. Maybe if you crop them close, they'll fit on eBay. Good Luck! ;)

so, not surprisingly the items didn't sell. The highest bid was 86.55 (yeah right!!!) I would just keep them if thats the case. Im thinking about relisting them with a 600 dollar reserve. Thats fair, right? I will wait though, just in case anyone on here might still be interested, I will entertain offers ;-) .

Back