Pearl display tray from the 1930s/1940s

CaptainApache

My grandmother worked as an assembler for a jewelry company in NYC from the mid-1930s through WW 2. Going through box after box in my 145 year old "attic that time forgot" (the family home), I found this 14" X 8" tray which I imagine is some type of company sampler of various types of designs and shapes available. The frame is leather covered wood and the lining are velvet and satin.

Anyone know more about it? Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

Last edited:
I thought it might be some type of salesman's sample array for potential buyers. The box is definitely manufactured for that purpose, very well made, and not a thing that could be easily whipped up at home at that time. The pearls appear to be permanently attached to that backing board through the material, either glued or stuck through and affixed in some way, seemingly rendering their use solely to display examples, but they don't poke through to the other side. I know very little about cultured or costume pearls, or the jewelry business in general, current or vintage, which this piece is from 75 to 90 years ago.

There are boxes with pearls of many hues in the attic, from pearl white to brown and grayish tones. Some are loose and some are strung. But this is the only display like this among them. I remember a conversation that my grandmother once had where she mentioned working at one time with cultured pearls and "better" costume pearls. If any of this helps.

The company/manufacturer she worked for was in NYC. I know they had at least 2 dozen women working there with my grandmother, maybe more. There's a picture that shows them all gathered together. I have to see if I can locate that picture (haven't seen it in 50 years) that might have an identifying clue.

I thought it might be some type of salesman's sample array for potential buyers. The box is definitely manufactured for that purpose, very well made, and not a thing that could be easily whipped up at home at that time. The pearls appear to be permanently attached to that backing board through the material, either glued or stuck through and affixed in some way, seemingly rendering their use solely to display examples, but they don't poke through to the other side. I know very little about cultured or costume pearls, or the jewelry business in general, current or vintage, which this piece is from 75 to 90 years ago.

There are boxes with pearls of many hues in the attic, from pearl white to brown and grayish tones. Some are loose and some are strung. But this is the only display like this among them. I remember a conversation that my grandmother once had where she mentioned working at one time with cultured pearls and "better" costume pearls. If any of this helps.

The company/manufacturer she worked for was in NYC. I know they had at least 2 dozen women working there with my grandmother, maybe more. There's a picture that shows them all gathered together. I have to see if I can locate that picture (haven't seen it in 50 years) that might have an identifying clue.
Some of those pearls look to have texture. Can you identify if they are faux or real by gently scratching with the edge your tooth, some of them? If faux, they will be smooth. If real, the pearl with feel gritty to the edge of your tooth. It may take a little maneuvering with the box, but it may answer your question. Especially if this was a sales display case. It is certainly a very interesting vintage find. Would love to see pictures of the other finds from the attic.

Some of those pearls look to have texture. Can you identify if they are faux or real by gently scratching with the edge your tooth, some of them? If faux, they will be smooth. If real, the pearl with feel gritty to the edge of your tooth. It may take a little maneuvering with the box, but it may answer your question. Especially if this was a sales display case. It is certainly a very interesting vintage find. Would love to see pictures of the other finds from the attic.
OOF! That sounds painful!! I'm getting sympathetic tooth pain just thinking about it!! I'm going to try to get some high resolution closeups and see if I can give you a better look.

If you have access to any known "real" pearls that you can rub against them and there is a "gritty" feel when doing so it will tell you these re real. Conversely if there is a smooth or plasticky feel they are faux. I found this the best test to avoid the dentist lol.

If you have access to any known "real" pearls that you can rub against them and there is a "gritty" feel when doing so it will tell you these re real. Conversely if there is a smooth or plasticky feel they are faux. I found this the best test to avoid the dentist lol.
Lol. Your teeth are much harder than pearls. 😆

Try a long-wave UV lamp: they will fluoresce (glow) blue if real pearls.

There are plenty of "pearl" jewelry items here, but I have not idea as to which may be real pearls.

I gently lifted up one of the pieces on the tray and this is the view from behind, to the best of my ability to capture a decent image of it. And they are definitely glued in place.

122723_Pearl4.jpg

There are plenty of "pearl" jewelry items here, but I have not idea as to which may be real pearls.

I gently lifted up one of the pieces on the tray and this is the view from behind, to the best of my ability to capture a decent image of it. And they are definitely glued in place.

View attachment 467454
It does have some glue residue, so it is hard to see...but it looks like an imitation pearl to me.
I do recommend you get a small long-wave UV light: for about $5 dollars you can tell real pearls from imitations and find scorpions at night!

for about $5 dollars you can tell real pearls from imitations and find scorpions at night

Based on what I'm able to see inside of the hole in the back of the "pearl", it being semi-hollow, I lean towards imitation. But I am going to take your advice and pick up a long-wave UV light to have on hand for examining baubles and beads (no bangles). (y)

Back