freshwater and diamonds

If only I could see what y'all see. I don't understand what you are seeing that looks different. I can tell you that there is a high possibility the lighting was different on some of the pics. Some were in direct Sun light, some in shade. Will that make a difference?

And as to the size, I have no clue. Nor go I have a clue on how up measure them. Any suggestions ?

Gemgeek, They were handed down to me. I will try to get some pics taken tomorrow with better close ups.
Is the a way to tell what type they are,? Fps? Ssp?

Does it hurt the value of the piece if it has 2 different types of stones?

I am no expert, at pearls or photography :) ... however, I too think I see a difference in the pearls that are set into the gold pieces. To my eye the difference is they look much more evenly round, and maybe a slightly different tone/color in certain photos. That could just be a trick of lighting though. As for size, my suggestion might be to try and get the photos taken with a ruler and/or a small coin such as a dime next to the pearls. That should help the wonderful experts here gauge the size if you have no way to measure them. Good luck and have fun; it's a really gorgeous necklace!

I am pretty sure these are fine Cultured Fresh Water. In one of the pictures there is a "round a circle" that is not indicative of Japanese
Akoya cultured. I get identification questions weekly and in person it's not difficult. Photos are complicated because there are so many
complications caused by the electronic process itself. Your photos are quite outstanding. For legal purposes, estate etc., we do no identifications other than in hand. I don't recognize the hallmark on the clasp. No doubt added later from some old stock to add
Chen set qua (sp) to the strand.

I am pretty sure these are fine Cultured Fresh Water. In one of the pictures there is a "round a circle" that is not indicative of Japanese
Akoya cultured. I get identification questions weekly and in person it's not difficult. Photos are complicated because there are so many
complications caused by the electronic process itself. Your photos are quite outstanding. For legal purposes, estate etc., we do no identifications other than in hand. I don't recognize the hallmark on the clasp. No doubt added later from some old stock to add

chen set qua = je ne sais quoi (i.e. a certain indefinable, elusive something). :)

(I think you meant that.)

Pearl-man,
Is there a difference in " fine cultured" and "cultured"?
What does this mean " round a circle "?
Do you think they are all freshwater? That there is not 2 different types of pearls?

Thanks so much for the help. And thank you all for the nice compliments on the necklace

Sorry for sounding like an idiot, but when it comes to pearls I guess I am .

chen set qua = je ne sais quoi (i.e. a certain indefinable, elusive something).

So this is a good thing for me, right?

Dreamin_Sqaw, look at post #9, the second to the last photo, the second pearl from the left. See the circle around the pearl? That indicates it is a freshwater, not a Japanese cultured akoya, as pearl-man said.

chen set qua = je ne sais quoi (i.e. a certain indefinable, elusive something).

So this is a good thing for me, right?

It's neither here nor there, if it was indeed "added later from some old stock to add [je ne sais quoi] to the strand". (Like someone was attempting to make it seem more special, to add cachet, by adding the mark.)

It's neither here nor there, if it was indeed "added later from some old stock to add [je ne sais quoi] to the strand". (Like someone was attempting to make it seem more special, to add cachet, by adding the mark.)

Pearl dreams,
Thanks so much. I now see what you are seeing. I will take more pics tomorrow. I will attempt to get each pearl because here live I'm not seeing it. So I figure I should just take more pics in an open area to try to avoid shadows. Is there a preferred way to get pics ? Direct Sun? Shade? Flash or no flash?

Indirect natural light is best. Stand with the pearls in front of you and a sunny window behind you. :)

Hi
Anyone with the courage to ask questions does not sound like an idiot. Fine cultured and cultured could be a rush to type thoughts error.
Pearls look very nice and I do see what looks like two types of pearls. Not uncommon jewelers and dealers have mixed two ;types
for years. Usually adding cultured to natural necklaces. You will notice one one of the pictures there is a indentation which circles the pearl.
This "imperfection" (It really isn't) is not usually found in Japanese Akoya material often found in Chinese fresh water. Facts are that out of the tons of Chinese material some material is very nice.
is of very good quality. Early small diameter necklaces rivaled Natural pearl necklaces.

Is it possible that the pearls on the gold are akoya while the rest are FW? They do seem more pink and more round, but would it be strange to mix both in the same necklace?

Beautiful necklace in any case, Dreamin_Sqaw.

Thanks Tucs,
That is a question I would like to have an answer to as well. I will say this one has me confused.
The folks here have been wonderful at taking the time to help me out with this. But now , I have discovered something new on this necklace.
Sure hope they check back on this forum page.
Or should I start a new post. I really don't want to take time away from any one else in need of help advice, or opinions but I am super excited about my find.
Thanks again to all of you.

IMG_20150624_182309 (4).jpg
the 72 i was told about by jeweler
IMG_20150624_183521 (6).jpg
the area showing 14k on the back of the pearls i was not told about
IMG_20150624_184503.jpg
the marks set on the back side of this area

IMG_20150624_183716.jpg
tried to get a pic as close as possible to the diamonds

IMG_20150624_182930.jpg
the black circle of the frame of the loupe that accidentally got in the pic. but it may help you to see how i was trying to get you the pics.

Back