freshwater and diamonds

Dreamin_Sqaw

I have a pearl necklace that is simply beautiful.
It has 72 pearls on strand, has a "v" shaped gold bar with diamonds on it, then come to a point where there is a larger single pearl. I believe the pearls to be around 7mm.
The clasp is gold, 14k and a mark that looks like it could be two letter "j"s that are back to back. There is number 72 on back of the gold bar that houses the diamonds.
I took it to a local jewelry store to see if they would know who the markers mark may be. They didn't. They did tell me they are fresh water pearls. I'm now confused because someone else told me they were south sea or eastern something. I'm not familiar with pearls. Any help from anyone here would be appreciated.

Im trying to find out if ........
there is any value?
Are they in fact freshwater?
Who the maker is?
Any wait to date them?

Thanks for any/all help.
Ps
Im trying to figure out how to post photos

Would someone please tell me how To post pics him hurting

Hello and welcome! Yes, We'd love to see photos of your necklace. The whole piece and also close up of the details you are telling us about. Here is an excellent tutorial explaining how to post the photos. Usually when you are a new member it takes a day or so for the attachments to be approved. Here are the directions. With thanks to Pearl Dreams!

Well pattye, i guess I'm to old and being times on this cell phone too. I can't find anything on here that I can click to add photos. I think that is why I stopped posting on here before. Felt like I was wasting members time asking questions when I couldnt show pics to help you out. I will try on the home pc this evening. I prefer using my phone because it's always handy. I work extremely long hours in private health care so I am seldom near the home pc... so if anyone can pass on info for cell phone help please do. Thanks to you all. I think last time I was here I had to email them to someone here and they may have posted a pic for me. It has been a couple of yrs. I'll keep trying. Thanks

IMAG2800.jpg

hope this pic shows up

ok that was a test pic to see if i am doing this right.... thankfully i am. This is the photos of the pearl necklace i was asking about
thanks

Pattye,
i have a bunch more pics. So if you would like to see a certain portion of the necklace just let me know. thanks so much for looking at these to give me your opinion

What a pretty necklace!

The pearls do look like cultured freshwater pearls.

Have you had any of the other metal in the necklace tested to see if it is gold or other metal? e.g. gold plated base metal, or gold-filled, or vermeil (gold plated silver).

Have you had any testing done of the stones? They could be diamonds or they could be CZ, white sapphire, rhinestones (glass) etc.

Great job on the photos and getting them up here! That is a beautiful necklace, and I don't recall ever seeing a y-necklace with the pearl and diamond stations on 14k gold like this. The size graduation is very well done.

1. the pearl size (7mm) is too small for South Sea, and the slightly flattened shape indicates cultured freshwater pearls. The larger drop shape is common to freshwater pearls also.

2. The number 72 is likely the identifier for that particular casting, or a part number.

3. The clasp is a traditional fish hook style 14k, and the additional mark could relate to the company that made the clasp or possibly the necklace.

4. The knotting is clean with no apparent wear or stretching. Diamonds are small, and usually not the highest quality in a piece like this.

5. You might check Ruby Lane to see if they have any necklaces similar. Not certain of value.

It would be lovely on a bride!

Great job on the photos and getting them up here! That is a beautiful necklace, and I don't recall ever seeing a y-necklace with the pearl and diamond stations on 14k gold like this. The size graduation is very well done.

1. the pearl size (7mm) is too small for South Sea, and the slightly flattened shape indicates cultured freshwater pearls. The larger drop shape is common to freshwater pearls also.

2. The number 72 is likely the identifier for that particular casting, or a part number.

3. The clasp is a traditional fish hook style 14k, and the additional mark could relate to the company that made the clasp or possibly the necklace.

4. The knotting is clean with no apparent wear or stretching. Diamonds are small, and usually not the highest quality in a piece like this.

5. You might check Ruby Lane to see if they have any necklaces similar. Not certain of value.

It would be lovely on a bride!

Yes the gold it's quinine. And the jeweler loved the quality of the diamonds. I'm not a jewelry expert by far, I do collect costume jewelry and I knew this was different from what I have. I was offered $2400. From one jeweler so I wanted some more opinions for what I have.
I have 3 sons, ranging mid to late 20's. But none are interested in marriage yet. They are very career goal oriented. Maybe by the time I'm 80 I will have a daughter in law to put them on. Lol. I'm still waiting for a bride to wear them.

I understand that the mark on the clasp, which I think looks like " ,jc" or "jj" not really sure, is a makers mark. It also got the jewellers attention. I guess it is a good thing that I love doing research and learning. Looks like I have a lot to do.

The maker's mark would most likely be on the back of the central piece. Did you see anything there? It's a gorgeous necklace. I am surprised that a jeweler made such a high offer. They usually don't offer much in the hopes of making a big profit. Your necklace is so beautiful that they know they won't have a risk of not selling it. :)

What a pretty piece!
To my untrained eye, it almost looks like the gold and diamond and pearls in the 'y' section are different to the rest of the pearls and the clasp.
Lucky future daughter in law!!

...To my untrained eye, it almost looks like the gold and diamond and pearls in the 'y' section are different to the rest of the pearls and the clasp.

Good, sharp eyes there-- I agree, they look very different. They look like bead nucleated pearls, actually. Could these be akoyas or SSP? And the oval drop-- FWP? Or SSP?

Back