found a wonderful treasure I hope help???????

Caitlin,

The tax receipt is for three strands and a pair of earrings - and it clearly states Mikimoto. The clasp may be aftermarket, though. Who knows. But the receipt proves provenance for the strand.

Tracy,

Yes, you will be hard-pressed to find info on them. You just don't see triple strand Mikimotos very often. That is why it is such a rare find.

Is there a Mikimoto store Tracy can take them to. They could ascertain if the quality is Mikimoto. Would be a shame to sell them as ordinary pearls on a rather ugly clasp if they are Mikis. In the photo with the Miki clasp there is another clasp which looks a lot better than the clasp the pearls are on. Tracy can you check the other side of it because I have seen similar clasps with a tiny diamond chip on one side. Very small which can be missed easily. This may be the clasp they came on and possibly is a Miki clasp. Also check if for marks i.e. gold or silver. Might be white gold.

Actually I didn't see all the photos when I last posted. Think you really need to have them checked out and professionally cleaned so that you can get the best possible price for them.

Good luck.

Dawn - Bodecia
http://stores.ebay.com/Dawns-Designer-Collections
Natural pearl collector and all round pearl lover

sorry I've taken so long to read

sorry I've taken so long to read

First...thanks so much for all your opinions... I havent been back on here for sometime. I have just been sitting on the find. I have looked on ebay and watched several sales of double strand Mikis. I really dont have pearl expert or an appraiser nearby. Probably the closest would be Indianapolis, IN., Nashville, TN, ? I'm not sure about anything about them. If anyone would know of someone I could take them to I would be willing to try to get them there in person. Again..thanks for your info and help. I havent cleaned them at this point either. I know that it takes special cleaning and I didnt want to do something I know nothing about. I hope to get someone that can also do this. I will check back more often...
I just realized I didnt have the notifications on that preferences to notify me of replies to my post...I have them on now...nugent3@hotmail.com

Well Im still holding on to the pearls.. not sure yet what to do with them. I was going to try to get a ticket to antique roadshow..but didnt apply in time.

Let's see photos of the box, too. Clearly you have the documentation for a three-strand Mikimoto necklace. Clasps were often changed when necklaces were restrung and the stringing style with knots near the clasp is correct for the era. The problem with washing them is that the string may have degraded and might not withstand the process. But I would find some very mild soap - not detergent - and gently soak them and clean with a soft cloth.

I was thinking that the original buyer wanted a three-strand necklace, but it was unavailable. So she/he got three separate Mikimoto strands of varying lengths (the receipt shows different price for each strand) and had them assemble using an after-market three-strand silver clasp. This explains the loose Miki clasp. I wonder where the other two clasps are?

@GemGeek Thanks...I will include a photo of the box

Attachments

• 088.jpg
    088.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 080.jpg
    080.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 079.jpg
    079.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 38
@coabadsantos I think that is what happened and 3 strands were bought. The clasps might also be with the earrings I wish I could also find those.

Thanks for posting the additional pictures, Teacher66. The pearls are resting near two pieces of ribbon in the red folder. Do the pieces of ribbon have snaps and, if so, will the snaps close easily over the pearls?

Did I miss where you did the tooth/rub-two-pearls-together test and determined that these are pearls, not beads? That would rule out the jeweler's assessment that they were worth only $10.

The case is more proof. This just gets more and more interesting! :cool: It's shocking that you showed the case, which clearly has the logo, and the salesperson didn't know what they were looking at. The case is worth a lot more than ten dollars.

@Unusual Pearls... They are my adult daughters. She would like to keep them but she is remodeling a huge house that was also given her by her grandmother's family and was considering selling them to help pay for some of the remodel.

@Gem well I did learn from this that what ever piece of jewelry you have you must find and expert in that particular piece not just a jeweler. :) They are very beautiful and I hope she can keep them. Would love to have them cleaned professionally.

@Bacca Yes the tooth/rub test done. they are real. those are not snaps. they are more like hooks

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that, Pattye. You saved me the trouble. :)

Teacher66, on that same page, please note this information in answer to the question: What is the Mikimoto trademark? How do I know that my pearl jewelry is Mikimoto? (I put the most important info in red.)

You can always identify Mikimoto jewelry by our trademark, which is either the outline of an oyster or the Mikimoto name engraved on every jewel. This engraved mark can be found in the following locations:

Necklaces and bracelets: back of clasp. They are also fitted with a signature M charm. As the clasp is the only place in a strand or bracelet where the Mikimoto trademark is engraved, it is not possible to appraise a strand or a bracelet as genuine Mikimoto without it.
Earrings: on post, earring nuts or back of earrings
Rings: inside the shank
Pendants: on the back of the bail
Brooches: on the underside of the brooch​

Last edited:
Teacher 66, i like you dont know the difference from a real pearl to a faux pearl. i have about 6 pearl necklaces with hallmarked 925 silver clasp, one has 935 so i assume that to be silver too. i would put pics on here but i dont know how too. this is a great site with interesting people i wish i had a great find to show everyone. saying that, if i did have that special pearl i would not be able to show it at all lol , good luck with your pearls i hope you get a great satisfactory answer about your pearls. Barbara

I still have the pearls...and I still am at an impasse :) I don't know anymore than I did before. I would like to have them cleaned at any rate even if they never get appraised! Hope to find out more about what they are worth someday :)

Back