found a wonderful treasure I hope help???????

Teacher66

I have just found a wonderful necklace that was at my grandmothers house which has been handed down to me and I am cleaning up to move in. I know that this necklace was my great great aunts. I believe it to be a Miki from what I've seen and read on this forum. I probably wont part with the necklace but would really like to know more about its value and what I really have in my hand. I took pictures I hope that you can see the quality and detail well enough. sorry for the lighting and I can take more if needed. These are in my album on here. It came with the velvet case, a booklet, a receipt and there are 2 clasps as well. The receipt says she also bought earrings..I have found several pair of pearl earrings and they have passed the "tooth" test but with a magnifying glass I really am not sure I see any markings. I havent posted any pics of them. If anyone could please take a look and give your opinion I would appreciate it and also if there might be an appraiser you could suggest in my area. Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• 086.jpg
    086.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 085.jpg
    085.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 092.jpg
    092.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 091.jpg
    091.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 081.jpg
    081.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 31
One of the clasps seems to have a Mikimoto logo - m in a clamshell - but would Mikis be unknotted (except for by the clasp) and have calottes?

The strand that my grandfather brought from Japan in 1956 are finished just like the ones pictured.

One of the clasps seems to have a Mikimoto logo - m in a clamshell - but would Mikis be unknotted (except for by the clasp) and have calottes?

I just noticed that, it looks like only the last couple of inches of the strand are knotted - I can't comment either way if that was typical back then. The one clasp with the "M" is mikimoto but where are the pearls that went with it, are they in the triple strand now?

I really have no idea about anything you just said. I found these in the back of a wardrobe hidden. They are like I found them. I thought in my unlearned/untrained eye that they seem to have been put on a different clasp. I dont know what calottes are. It seems there are two clasps in the box ...
So do you think these pearls are not real? or not the ones that were on the clasp with the (m) and then restrung with different clasp? I dont know.

May we please have more pictures? One of the certificate. Both sides. One of the outside of the box and one with the pearls out of the box. With a possible Miki, the certificate and the box are very important. Can't tell what the certificate describes.

The necklace is a 3 strander, the Miki clasp is a one strander. I guess it came from a different pearl set. It was just stored with the other pearls.

We need more clues. A real closeup of a few pearls. What do they look like around the drill holes?

Caitlin...
Yes..I will take more pics tomorrow... of : Certificate(front and back) Box(outside) Pearls(outside of box)..not sure what background to put them on
Pearl(close-up of drill holes)

I do know the certificate lists each strand
and a pair of earrings...but will get the pics tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

It's difficult to tell from the pictures submitted here, but given their age and general appearance, they seem to be vintage cultured akoyas, in reasonably good condition.

Some zoom/macro shots would certainly help with identification. A scan of the duty slip might glean some additional information.

Your guess is as good as ours to why there are two clasps. Either they were restrung and the clasp was changed to a preferred one, or it's just a coincidence that a Mikimoto clasp was aquired from elsewhere, perhaps in anticipation of restringing.

If indeed they are indeed real as I suspect, they'd carry a medium value. (not expensive but not cheap either) Also, there may be a slight value-add if they are authentic Mikimoto pearls.

More Pics but bad news

More Pics but bad news

Well I finally have a few more pictures! But..I had my daughter take the pearls to a jeweler and they said they were not Mikimoto and in fact were worth nothing but $10. Very sad :( I know that 3 strands were purchased as well as earrings now I'm not sure if they were Miki's that were purchases and I wonder where they might be since the receipt and nice case were left. Oh well didnt start with anything and didnt lose anything. So sorry for your time but thanks for helping. I will keep the clasps and booklet and case but will make sure I put a note in with the whole thing that they are not Miki. Please take a LOOK at the receipt if you dont mind :)

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 42
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 36
Before you throw them away, DO NOT take your jeweler's word for it. Maybe one in 1000 jewelers has more than a remedial knowledge of pearls.

The tax receipt you posted states Mikimoto, but it is written in the katakana form of Japanese. Just to the right of the box that reads Tax-Office Concerned is a column that says "name." On each line it reads Mikimoto.

ミキモト is Mikimoto, and the receipt is for three strands and a pair of earrings.

I think it is also important to point out that in 1958, the buyer paid an average of nearly 5000 yen per strand. Considering approximately $50 in today's currency valuation, with inflation that comes to nearly $400 per strand in 1958 ... an antique ... and a Mikimoto.

You could have a real collector's piece there, not a $10 piece of garbage.

Thank you for your reply and information on the tax receipt. I tried to take a picture of the drill hole but was afraid I would break the strand if I pushed them over too hard. Is there any resources, i.e. website that you might recommend that might point me to an appraiser or someone that can evaluate my finding? I appreciate all the help on this forum that has been given and I have learned so much about pearls...I had no idea...I'm a teacher and believe me I am passing on this wonderful information about the different looks and kinds of pearls to my students...it's very interesting :)

This sort of strand really is a rare find. You've got the original pearls, clasps, paperwork ... if it were only a single strand it wouldn't be as rare, but you have three and the papers to prove it. To top it off, it was purchased in 1958, just after Mikimoto stopped producing their own pearls. So they could have come from one of Mikimoto's farms. In my opinion, it makes the necklace a collectors' piece, as there can't be many like it. It would be the provenance that would give it the most value; the type of piece you would see at auction possibly.

I haven't seen Valeria101 here in a while, but she would probably be able to find comparables somewhere. I don't think the pearls are worth a huge amount of money, but I do think they are worth a lot more than the pearls would be on their own - without provenance.

thanks

thanks

thanks for all the info. I guess I will continue to try to find out more about the value. I may try to find a collector or something. I really am not sure what path to take. I'm not sure whether I want to keep them. If anyone has any further suggestions I'm open or any other resources for me to look for value or collectors that info is appreciated.
tracy :)

wow.didnt know it would be so difficult

wow.didnt know it would be so difficult

wow didnt know it would be so difficult to find more out about these pearls. I have been on the computer for almost 2wks now. I really haven't found anymore out than before. I was hoping to find an appraiser or a collector who might have information or interest in them. I will keep searching :)

Look on eBay for equivalent necklaces and keep an eye on them as they are bid- or not. You will get a lot of info by doing that. Like what are people bidding on and what are things going for? That is actually better than an appraisal, but you will have to do the work.

I am not at all sure the Miki is the triple strander- I know nothing about multiple strand clasps from them, but if it not a miki, the value goes down.

The separate Miki clasp is worth money as it is highly desired. Perhaps a search for Miki clasps on eBay?

Tracy,

They don't look like Mikimotos to me and the clasp that they came on generally hold average priced pearls. The clasps are sort of looked down on even on eBay from what I have seen. If you sell them on eBay you might get $200 or so. It just depends whose bidding at the time and if they have a competition. If you are going to sell them that way do give them a bit of a clean as they look a little grubby and that will not help you get a decent price.

You can buy pearl cleaner from you jeweller. Or there are other methods which you could look up here or ask if you can't find them. I guess I should have spoken up before because I do list on eBay and surf it too and have seen many double and triple strands with what is considered an inferior clasp. I do think it is actually the clasp that keeps the price on the pearls down. The talk of them possibly being Mikis kept me quiet before. Sorry.

Good luck.

Dawn - Bodecia
http://stores.ebay.com/Dawns-Designer-Collections
Natural pearl collector and all round pearl lover

The one clasp is a miki. And Jeremy said the certificate said Miki, but the 3-strand pearl's clasp doesn't look Miki. If it is cleaned up, the necklace could get 200 and the clasp, sold separately could get 200- on a good day. Is that what you said ,Dawn?

The certificate????? I wonder what a complete translation would say? Is the three strander is listed on the certificate?

Hi Caitlin,

Yes I think it would reach around $200 for the pearls with that clasp. The Miki clasp I am not sure on but I believe there are collectors for them. That seems a bit suss to me but who knows. I guess if someone really wants a Miki clasp they might pay $200 but both pieces would have to be listed correctly with good information and top photos.

That is what I think the lot would bring but one can never tell with auctions. But all needs cleaning up. Grubby pearls, risk a grubby price.

Dawn - Bodecia
http://stores.ebay.com/Dawns-Designer-Collections
Natural pearl collector and all round pearl lover

Back