former lurker bares best strand, tells all...

Narcissa

Hello to all, I am new on the block and finally have drummed up enough nerve to own up to my pearls.

I worked my way up to these pearls from cheap FW dyed giftshow buys, through more expensive giftshow pearls I didn't have the first clue about from anonymous vendors, and finally plunged into South Sea Pearls at Tucson in 2004, where I was the guest of a jewelry professional who bought her best strands from this particular vendor at the AGTA. So I went by her opinion and my own awe at being at there.

Since then wads of pearls sat in a drawer until earlier this year when I found PG, and with YOUR help finally knotted and clasped these. I have a darker necklace yet to photograph, and a silvery strand still to knot. Before you tell me, I already know I need to re-do: there are little mistakes and imperfections, I will, I promise I will, make it right. Sooner or later.

These greens are my best, IMO, and I was used to thinking I had better than anyone I knew (nyah nyah) until I came here and saw someone's post (apologies - can't re-find who or where) who showed the strand she wore for scuba. RATS, those scuba pearls put me in my place.

So after much higher pearl education here I am still not really able to assess my own pearls realistically, maybe I was just too wowed by the AGTA and that beautiful, cultured (pun intended) vendor from NYC.

Whatever, I tell myself. They are pretty even so. And, they give me that *I could sink into your depths* feeling that deep pearls can do. So even if they are not quite as wow as I thought when I bought, they'll do for now until the time for buying comes around my way again.

Cheers,
Narcissa

Attachments

• HPIM3168.jpg
    HPIM3168.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 37
And here is my *worst* strand from the same show, different vendor. There are glaring flaws, but they are the *size matters* strand.

Cheers,
Narcissa

Attachments

• Narcissa 025.jpg
    Narcissa 025.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 43
And here are the dark and the silver South Seas.
May I add that the pic in my first post doesn't show nearly as green as in life. Perhaps on a better day I can upgrade your views: today is dark and rainy, the flash was needed to get anything at all

Cheers,
Narcissa

Attachments

• SSs, midis 004.jpg
    SSs, midis 004.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 40
I like your strands and commend you for beginning the "knotting journey". I have discovered here that there is a wide range of beautiful pearls--and I think that yours are definitely beautiful.

Those look lovely to my eye, beautiful Tahitian drops and "whoppers" with lots of luster! You had the fun of choosing them!

LOL, Sheri, aka la_corsetiere, is the amazing scuba-woman of extraordinary tastes, and someone we don't even try to compete with when it comes to owning the biggest or most beautiful pearls!

IMHO, perhaps what is most fun about this forum---it's not about who has the biggest or best, but encourages us to restring as often as necessary, whether beader or connoisseur, with pearls being admired and revered for so much more than their price tag!

Hi Narcisa
Your pearls are all wonderful, each at its own level. You've already learned a lot and seem to have good instincts. Any more pearl collecting on the horizon?

Thank you, claudenancy, indeed beautiful pearls abound here, and of course everyone enjoys hearing that theirs are in that pool.

pattye, I totally confess to being guilty of the most awful pearl-lust. I imagine inventing my own PG emoticon: a little dragon with gleaming eyes, dripping with greedy salivation, the steam of pearl envy rising from the scaly nostrils. OH! Sorry - *snaps out of it* Yes, I too have enjoyed seeing the enjoyment and reverence for all the pearls on this forum. It is here that I am learning how to see pearls for themselves, rather than evaluating them by who is selling them and/or for how much.

Caitlin, thanks for the encouragement. Besides the unstrung and the re-stringing, and their respective matching earrings yet to be created, I have in a drawer smaller projects yet to approach: some little inexpensive round pearls of unknown origin to combine with bead grade rectangular faceted emeralds. Some smooth creamy must-be FWs w/o very much lustre that could go with smooth polished amethysts. There are some corner drilled square pearls I have had several ideas for, all discarded before execution. As to new acquisitions, my pearl budget is not what it was before world economic meltdown, But one can always hope.

Cheers,
Narcissa

They all look terrific. I hope you relax and enjoy them. It's all relative - cheap or expensive - you're buying a look. Beauty can be found in a wide range of pearls. (Thank Goodness!) ;)

Your pearls are beautiful!! If you love them, that is all that matters. ;)

Enjoy wearing them!

I totally agree!!! Your pearls are lovely, Narcissa. Part of the reason I posted the photo of the pearls I wear while diving is to show that you don't have to save pearls for special occasions - they truly go with everything, from velvet to denim...to neoprene!

So wear your beauties with health and joy...and welcome to the forum. Ah, pearl lust...I'm afraid it's a very serious malady...but one that's oh so much fun to nurture!

Sheri

Lovely pearl strands! :)

One of the things I appreciate most about pearls is that they can also be combined beautifully with semi-precious or precious gemstones.

Provided they are lustrous, pearls of all shapes, colors and sizes can be used to advantage in creating original and attractively designed pieces in a wide range of cost, especially if one makes one's own jewelry. Some of my favorite pieces cost me relatively little to put together.

No one ever needs to feel they can't afford to wear pearls beautifully!

Thanks to all for the pearl therapy.
It's a good place to recover from pearl anxiety and yet fan {appropriate} flames of pearl envy.
I do like my pearls, they are lovelier than I can show you with my lame little old camera, and I want you all - but especially
la_corsetiere - to know that, as I have no neoprene, I wore them today to go check on the horses.

Cheers all,
Narcissa

Ah, pearl lust...I'm afraid it's a very serious malady...but one that's oh so much fun to nurture!

Sheri[/QUOTE]

...and absolutely endemic in this forum! I think it's pretty much cheerfully acknowleged around here, and we're even making plans for the 'Afterlife':rolleyes:, so relax and have fun with some of the nicest people I've never met.

I think your pearls are loooooovely:). Very respectable job stringing, too! AND, you posted pics - you're way ahead of the game, already.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with pearls worn for horse checking - we had a strand come in for re-stringing not so long ago which was very mucky and it turned out the farmer's wife wore them all the time, even for milking.
She just loved her pearls, so what was the problem there?

Back