First look at Gulf Cultured pearls from RAK

Donzi32

With great pleasure I'm able to share with you first look and some sample pic's of the UAE's first cultured fresh water pearls.

**Drum role please**

These are the first cultured pearls from the UAE and it is the only company in Ras Al Khaimah that produces cultured pearls. The company stands to its corporate slogan which is "Reviving Pearling Industry Luster".

This is seen as a partnership between a commercial local pearl farm in RAK, UAE and the technical support of its Japanese partners.

Hope you all enjoy these images as personally these is really exciting development in the world of cultivated pearls and thrilled to see this part of the Gulf reviving it's pearl heritage again.

Attachments

• pearlthickness.jpg
    pearlthickness.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Assorted images of Gulf Cultivated pearls from RAK Pearl farm

Assorted images of Gulf Cultivated pearls from RAK Pearl farm

First pictures of RAK Pearls shell, earrings and loose.

More on the way once I see them in person.

Attachments

• IMGP3349
    IMGP3349
    29.2 KB · Views: 53
  • RAK Pearls shell.jpg
    RAK Pearls shell.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 47
  • RAK Pearls earrings.jpg
    RAK Pearls earrings.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 48
RAK Pearls jewellery piece

RAK Pearls jewellery piece

Lovely sample of RAK Pearls jewellery

Attachments

• RAK Pearls jewellery.jpg
    RAK Pearls jewellery.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 46
I thought Tahitian pearls had a 0.8mm nacre minimum?

Thanks for the photos, very interesting indeed.

Honestly I've no idea of what the correct nacre specifications are hence looking to you guys for your expertise to chime in.

More pic's on the way when I get to see the firsts in the "nacre" for real.

Price I can advise the are astronomical unfortunately but looking to see what is within my budget.

That jewelry is lovely but not my style at all. I do hope they get around to releasing at least their A and AA pearls to the common folk.

Yes .8mm nacre is the legal standard for Tahitians from Tahiti. Less than that and they are not allowed to be sold or exported. However, some people do illegal things and pearls cultured outside of Tahiti are not legally bound to be any thickness. That ad should not have said "Tahitian". I notice they did not mention SSpearls either. Some flummery going on - when there is no need for it.

Thanks for chiming in Caitlin - can I ask what are "SSpearls"

Price wise as I mentioned these pearls are right up there with Gulf Natural pearls (Basra) but then I am yet to see these pearls in person.

So far so good? Or what is your gut feeling?

SS = South Sea Pearls. They are large, and usually white / silver / golden. And pricey.

The jewellery itself isn't my style, either, but it's pretty.

What sort of price range are the pearls? Or is the price only known to you in relation to the finished necklaces etc, including all the gold and bling?

SS means South Sea pearls- sorry for not explaining!

My gut feeling is that if these farmed pearls are marketed successfully, they will continue to try to be as expensive as SS pearls. The Gulf has many countries. If this operation is successful, I expect to see more and more of the Gulf countries trying pearl farming.

I wonder if any of them could afford to do 'tissue only' nucleation to better simulate the old style pearls. If they leave the oysters in the water long enough to get that really thick nacre anyway, perhaps they could try it. I also expect to see lots keshi very similar to the akoya keshi. The Persian gulf oysters have always made natural seed pearls the most plentiful type of pearls. I love to string itsy bitsy natural Gulf seed pearls into bracelets. I am lucky enough to have a couple of those.

Do you have a photo anywhere, Caitlin, of a seed pearl bracelet you've made? Sounds fascinating!

Thanks Caitlin that is fascinating stuff and I got to see my first Gulf seed pearls recently in that recent pic I posted. Not my cup of tea in how that piece was presented as the pearls were literally sewn into the metal making it very fussy and unnatural looking.

I know the RAK pearl farm began life in 2005 so no doubt the best pearls have been harvested for the Royals etc so far - as the way it has always been.

Would also love to see any pictures of your seed pearl bracelets.

Other interesting news on RAK pearls is apparently the jewellery designer is a German lady and was actually in Dubai last week so sorry to have missed her.

Yes. I currently have one that is operable and another that is laid out for restringing. I will try to get a shot now, but my camera is the cheapest point and shoot you could find!

seed pearl bracelet 004.JPG

The seed pearls are maybe less than .5mm. The bracelet above it is made out of a variety of 2-3mm seed pearls, SS keshi and trocus shells about 5mm for contrast.
Sorry it is blurry. My macro setting is a joke.

That must be like threading a needle, over and over again! Nice work, really lovely. The pearls in the lower bracelet look absolutely tiny.

They are my current favorite size and that is saying something from the Queen of Klonks! (klonks are pearls 12mm and larger) tiny pearls clink, medium pearls clack and big pearls clonk.

They're just beautiful Caitlin and thanks for sharing. I take it you have quite a collection of Gulf seed pearls and assorted pearls from this region, inshallah you get to show us some more of them.

Caitlin's willingness is the key, I think, rather than God's.....

flummery - loved the sound of it, so looked it up - first of all, every link I clicked on sent me sent me into ebay pearl sales...... ??

then I got

It was first mentioned in 1620s, "a type of coagulated food" like sour oatmeal jelly boiled with the husks, or, as an acid preparation from the husks and fragments of oats, fermented and subacid oatmeal, its acridity and sharpness explaining the Welsh etymology of lym=sharp, similar to the Scotch sour sowens.[3]. Another improbable etymology sends to the German Pflaumerei (plum tarte), there is a variety of flummery called 'plum flummery'.

Finally, I got

Flummery's negative connotation was picked up in its alternate, figurative meaning: empty compliments, unsubstantial talk or writing, and nonsense.[4]

Hey-ho - happy days ;)

I didn't click on any links at all. Lucky me, by the sound of it!

I wish.
I started with the equivalent of about ten inches of nice round pearls and 4-5 inches of the tiny ones. My grampa pearl hunted a decade after after the major trade in natural pearls was dealt its final blow by the oil refinery my gramp built for the Sheik of Bahrain (whose son or grandson is now the 'king'). He had 4 daughters and d-in-l's and a dozen grandchildren. The pearls got divided up a bit so every one could have some.

Jeremy added to my collection last year when he gave me the necklace from Al Hashimi that got advertised on Craig's list. I found it and urged ANYONE to buy it as I KNEW they were the real deal. Jeremy did and passed it on to me-(am I one lucky Admin or what!)That added about 15" of pearls, most of which are not round or very big. I recently took it apart and shuffled up the pearls added some SS keshi and made a necklace about 21" long. I did a thread on the making of it. I need to make it just a couple of inches longer and since I did knot between each bead (it adds that precious length) I have a big job to undo and do over.

I have also been negotiating with another member here for another one about like the Al Hashimi. And it has LOTS of the itsy-bitsy ones I love so much! So finally I will be able to complete another bracelet. And add to my wannabe opera length necklace so I can put it on over my head.

Alex
Ha, Ha! I actually thought of Wendy when I used the word. It is so northern England. (imo) It just came out of nowhere into my head. Maybe she used it here before. In any case, it is her kind of word!

Back