First Basic Strand Purchase

Great choice with those metallic pearls! I think you will find them amazing.

I'm sure I recall seeing that photo with all the strands before when Jeremy first listed the colorshifting strands back in August/September 2011. I seem to recall Jeremy said he mixed some metallics in with the colorshifting ones to make the multicolored strands.

I'd say you are in good company, too-- most of us who love pearls have multiple pieces. There are too many beautiful pearls to stop with just one or two. As long as you are paying your bills and meeting your personal financial goals, don't worry.

Last edited:
Oh dear, after considering it for a while I decided to order a Freshadama strand as well, so that I can have them both in hand to compare and decide which to keep.

I have a strand each of the metallic whites and white freshadamas on their way to me from PP. I couldn't decide between the two with just photos. I think it will be much easier to make a decision when I can try on both necklaces. My pocketbook hopes I love one more than the other and don't have to have both lol! I hope you get your freshadamas soon...how can you stand not to open the AAAs??? Your muilticolor freshwater drop strand is lovely too! It is a great size and will be very versatile. Pearls are like potato chips, you can't have just one :D

I have a strand each of the metallic whites and white freshadamas on their way to me from PP.

LitGeek, I have been wondering about how those two would visually compare. The metallic whites seem to be a bit more cool toned which wouldn't suit olive skin like mine, what do you think? I would love it if you were to take photos comparing the two (also with neck shots!). I have seen Freshadamas vs white metallics like this:
https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6842&highlight=metallic+freshwater but I am a bit confused... Pearl Dreams, they are both amazing strands, do Freshadamas usually have a bit of a warmer tone or did you pick a strand that has a subtle color to the pearls?

Hahaha I am exercising my last bit of self-discipline by not opening the AAA's. I am still so distracted by looking at pretty necklaces online :O

khanzy, the Freshadamas were silver ros? in that photo.
They blend in a little too much with my skin tone but look very good on my daughter (whose skin is fairer), and I will probably give them to her at some point. At present she has little interest in them, apart from having borrowed them a couple of times over the years.

You could ask for Freshadamas with ivory tones...

For that matter I understand some of the metallics are a creamier white. Those might suit you more than the white-white ones.

Last edited:
Ohh, I did not realize that Pearl Dreams. I have to wonder if it would be easier for me to just show up in person to compare all the tones instead of having to order them by mail (if only I weren't on the East Coast..). Now I have to look for comparison photos online for the overtones..there was a really great reference on google images of a bunch of freshadamas, akoyas, and metallics with different tones but the actual photo doesn't seem to exist anymore. That and a comprehensive reference on skin tones/pearl tones.
And I was already ruminating over whether a white gold or yellow gold clasp would be better for the multicolor strand.. to complement the necklace without distracting from the pearls, or complement the skin tone..or both ideally?

I must be driving PP crazy on facebook messaging with all my questions..(you guys too probably)

I know the photo you are referring to-- it was posted on a Pricescope thread also (here: http://www.pricescope.com/forum/pearls-new/freshadama-question-t189200-30.html)
, but the photos are gone now. The photo came from PP-- maybe they still have it on file and can email it to you?

It's best if photos are uploaded directly to the forums; then they aren't lost. Photos that are only linked from hosting sites generally get deleted after a while.

Hmm, Mrs. Taylor is also on this forum under another handle. I will message her and see if she still has the photo.

Okay I messaged her but she has not been on here since early November...hopefully she'll get an email notification of a private message.

I don't know of any good places to buy pearls in this area. B&M stores carry pearls, of course, but there isn't anywhere I would put down my money, as the selection is small and the prices high.

I went back and found this posting on another forum (not PS). I think it is the Pearl Paradise comparison photo you are talking about, but I think the Pearl Queen who posted it added the letters. Here is the photo and her description:

A ? White Metallic strand with silver and slight ivory overtone

B ? White Metallic strand with strong ivory/copper overtone

C ? Freshadama with strong rose overtone

D ? Freshadama with ivory overtone

E ? Akoya AAA with silver overtone

F ? Akoya AAA with ivory overtone

G ? Akoya AAA with Rose overtone

white pearl comparison.jpg

LitGeek, I have been wondering about how those two would visually compare. The metallic whites seem to be a bit more cool toned which wouldn't suit olive skin like mine, what do you think? I would love it if you were to take photos comparing the two (also with neck shots!). I have seen Freshadamas vs white metallics like this:
https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6842&highlight=metallic+freshwater but I am a bit confused... Pearl Dreams, they are both amazing strands, do Freshadamas usually have a bit of a warmer tone or did you pick a strand that has a subtle color to the pearls?

Hahaha I am exercising my last bit of self-discipline by not opening the AAA's. I am still so distracted by looking at pretty necklaces online :O

The metallics are available in different overtones. PP did have creamy metallic strands available earlier this summer. They were gorgeous and I am kicking myself for not getting a strand or triple strand! You might see if PP has any left or if they can add you to their list when Jeremy finds more.

I ordered the metallics and freshadamas to compare IRL. I will let you know what I think when I receive them later this week :)

Hi Kids, remember we can rate this thread ​at the top of the page. Give it enough stars and it might be easier to locate later.

That's awesome, thanks LitGeek! The silver and ivory strands certainly appeal to me more against the white background.

That's awesome, thanks LitGeek! The silver and ivory strands certainly appeal to me more against the white background.

ITA! I have a 36" long strand of white with silver overtones akoyas from PP and the color really pops against my fair skin. I really love them, but they are a little too white to wear with cream/ivory clothing (just my opinion of course). I would love to have some creamy freshwater or akoya strands too :)

Freshadama Strand Arrived! First Impressions

Freshadama Strand Arrived! First Impressions

So I finally received the Freshadama 6.5-7.5mm 16" necklace from PP that I ordered to compare with the AAA grade strand of the same size and length. I have to leave for a week in FL tomorrow so I won't have time to take good photos or assess them in normal light, but I definitely will when I return, and by then I would have also received the metallic drop multi!
As someone who has only seen pictures of pearls online, and some poorer quality strands at department store jewelry counters I might not be the best judge of how these strands look, so feel free point out any misconceptions I might be making.
Here goes:

1) There's definitely more luster in the Freshadama strand compared to the AAA, but what strikes me the most is the uniformity and roundness of the former. I didn't expect shape to matter as much to me as it turned out, but that might also be because the luster is pretty high in the AAA strand. The pearls were visibly off-round, which was as described by the seller, and individually they look fine but as a whole strand that is when the difference becomes very visible. The pearls in the AAA strand tended to be longer vertically (perpendicular to drill hole axis) so that there was more of a gap between pearls that made the knots more visible. It didn't seem to be due to a difference in how thick the knots were or anything, so I am attributing it to the shape.

2) The Freshadama were rosier than the AAA strand. I actually preferred the color of the AAA strand a bit more because of the contrast it created against my skin. So now I am debating whether to keep the Freshadama or try to exchange for an ivory/silver strand. Regardless of what happens with the Freshadama it is clear that I will be returning the AAA and sticking with gem quality in future purchases. When I contacted the PP Facebook page about this initially to ask about color selections, they replied that most Freshadama strands sent to customers were silver rose but that the differences were slight compared to Akoyas, so that there wasn't even a dropdown menu option to select overtones for Freshadamas.

3) There are stiff, sharp pieces of something, glue?, on two of the knots near the clasp on the Freshadama strand. I couldn't find anything similar on the AAA strand. I don't know if this is normal or a production flaw. Could anyone tell me if this is typical or should I be concerned? I could also still spot 2-3 mm wide blemishes (indentations and marks that look like when you put pressure on something and it starts to cave in) on a few of the pearls on the Freshadama strand, also closer to the clasp. Please let me know if this is to be expected.

4) Even though both strands were sold as 6.5-7.5 mm, the pearls on the Freshadama strand looked larger. This is most likely due to the even roundness, again (also, how is the size measured? is the measurement just the distance the pearl is at its widest? if so, I can see how if a pearl is longest perpendicular to the drill axis, it might appear smaller because its technically narrower width)

In summary, I really preferred the Freshadamas because of exactly the features you guys described as well as what was clearly noted on the seller website. I guess I had to really see for myself to decide what I personally would accept, and the Freshadama quality won out in the end. I do have reservations about the overtone as well as the blemishes (and odd knot glue"?) I saw on the strand I received, so I would love your input on that. I will work on photos after New Year's.

Happy holidays everyone! :)

My suggestion is that you return the Freshadama strand, ask for a more silvery tone instead. I have a silver ros? strand (my first strand ever from PP) that my daughter knows is hers whenever she decides to take me up on it, because it is perfect on her skin.

A few of my Freshadamas have little flaws like what you describe-- they are advertised as "virtually flawless", not completely 100% flawless. I do think it's good to know what features matter most to you, and to communicate that to the vendor. To some ladies it may be paramount that the pearls be as nearly round as possible, or to show more orient, or to have fewest flaws, or that they be a specific tone...it may not be possible to have every feature you desire, to the nth degree, in a single strand (because these are natural products.)

I know oval pearls are measured perpendicular to the drill hole, but I'm not sure about pearls that are just off-round.

Hi khanzy, I have quite yellow/green undertones in my skin and ivory pearls look so much better to me. Rosy overtones can look really great, too. I highly suggest you try some ivory/cream pearls on! Even a pair of earrings would give you a good idea of how the color works for you - often it is instantly obvious what your preference is once you see them on, so it is a great idea to see some in person. Also, back to your question of a gold or silver clasp for a multi-toned necklace, I think you should go with whichever you prefer abstractly. It's pretty rare that one or the other actually clashes with the pearls. I have had the debate myself a few times, but I so prefer gold that even if I think the necklace looks slightly better with a silver clasp...it still looks better ON ME with a gold clasp, if you see what I mean. And who cares what it looks like all by itself!

Oh, and it is normal to seal the final knots near the clasp with some kind of epoxy, yes.

So fun to follow you in your quest.

If you are going shopping, you can tell what colors flatter your skin type by laying them across the top of your wrist - works like a charm! :)

Pearl Dreams, thank you for the advice. I ordered a Freshadama 16" strand (6.5-7.5mm) with matching earrings (7.5-8.5mm) and asked for silver overtones, no rose or ivory. It should get here this Thursday- I believe my little Goldilocks adventure with the classic strand has come to a close! Will post comparisons when they arrive.

Thank you, Pattye. I hope that my observations will help future new buyers that are uncertain about quality differences between the grades and have price considerations. It has been a great learning process for me.

Theseventhsphinx, I totally agree about the gold and am happy I am not the only one that ponders over minute details such as these. Now what would you say is a good size pairing between earrings and necklace? I love your golden/pink pairing in your latest blog post, metallics are divine.

Thanks for the tip, GemGeek! I definitely used it for my photos in the next post.

In necklaces, little surface/knot flaws don't hold my attention anymore :) I have found I am more nitpicky about roundness and luster evenness within a strand, as you will see with the metallic multis.

Back