Fiji J Hunter pearls Savusavu

I am having so much fun reading this thread. Thank you for sharing the photos and story of your gorgeous Fiji pearls, Justin. That handful of circled drop pearls makes me drool -- I want one (or 20)!

Justin, thanks so much for your ever increasingly fascinating posts about pearling in Fiji ... love it!

I am a little behind on the grading going on at home.
These are the baroques, sb's, and round / semi-rounds from Friday. Same group the circles came from:
Lee working on the harvest by line.
IMG_5200.jpg
Baroque's
FullSizeRender (1).jpg
SB's
FullSizeRender.jpg
Round / semi rounds. Again not the % we would like but not going to complain about colour.
FullSizeRender (2).jpg

I love the rounds so much. The colors are stunning J Hunter, but the golden pearls really sing to my heart. This is such a fabulous visual and education thread, thank you!

Hi everyone,
and thanks to Justin for the introduction.
Just went through the whole thread and I can concur with Justin. Farming here is not for the faint hearted. But... look at these colours! Justin has been really instrumental in our growth and success are we really grateful. He has been a great guide in the ups and down of pearl farming in Fiji. Could not have done it without him.

Thanks bro.

Claude Michel
owner of Civa (Fiji) Pealrs Ltd.

Attachments

• My first pearls - baaad freshwaters given to me by an ex (the orchid was a later addition, to try to
    My first pearls - baaad freshwaters given to me by an ex (the orchid was a later addition, to try to
    29.5 KB · Views: 40
Welcome, Claude Michel! So glad to have you here as well as Justin. What a beautiful photo ... glorious colors above AND below the waters ... Thank You!

Gorgeous eye candy! Some of the SB's really have a wonderful mix of colors. *heart eyes*

Hi -

we are still working through the lines.
Here are a few shots from Thursday / friday.
IMG_5219 (1).jpg

There are ways to increase round % - but this last year we did not employ some of those methods. Food issues - around "high islands" is tough to deal with. Sometimes the shells are strong (then you can manipulate and try and increase round %) - this year we saw that shells were strong - but after the fact. May be one full year before we see good retention and good % of rounds + colour. Ideally we look for a 30:30:30 breakdown - though we have never seen that.
Our techs (all of us) get very frustrated - but it is what it is. This is farming pearls in Fiji.
Hope to get all lines mixed next week.
High and low Baroques from Matsuda - Hatchery line.
IMG_5209.jpg
Some of Lee's favourites from that line:
IMG_5210.jpg
Enjoy your weekend. Will have more next week.

Thanks Justin, this harvest is looking to be more plentiful than the last one? Amazing colours.

Wow, look at that rose and charcoal pearl in row 2! (group of pearls under the bowl of pearls above) Very cool.

Last edited:
Bula everyone,
We are done with our harvest for 2015. Pretty happy but... always the impossible dream of having all boxes ticked at the same time (size, shape, luster, colors and numbers). I guess it will always be difficult. This time around, the numbers are not exactly there, a lot of oysters were empty. I think a good part of the problem is getting sorted now and we will have much more numbers to show in 18-24 months from now. At least, for the first time, my partner Danielle is smiling. We have colors, shape, size and luster. Here is a pic of this week circled (still my favorites.
Enjoy

Claude Michel
Civa (Fiji) pearls ltd
civafijipearls.comCircled.jpg

What a treat to witness the results of your harvest as it is happening. I am amazed by the glow of your colorful pearls visible through their plastic baggies. Thank you so much for the posts and the photos.

Back