Fair market value for Pink Akoya 7-7.5 mm pearl earrings

dcbhit

Hey guys,

I'm in the market to buy naturally pink Akoya 7-7.5mm pearl earrings. I've seen a wide array of prices online, from $50 to around $800. Most online pearls have AAA (or higher somehow) ratings. I have a local dealer that is supposed to be reputable that is selling AA quality natural pink Akoya pearl 7-7.5mm with 14k gold studs for $250. In your expert opinion, does this seem like a fair price?

Thanks in advance for your help!

It is fair price, but I am curious to know about the "natural pink" part of it. If the akoya are noticeably pink, the color is not natural. It's from a process called "pinking."

Thanks for the fast reply! They actually are only very slightly pink. I was a little disappointed when I saw this, as I was looking for something more noticeably pink. They said that I would be getting dyed pearls if that were the case though. Sounds like they are a decent dealer. Thanks again.

Thanks for the fast reply! They actually are only very slightly pink. I was a little disappointed when I saw this, as I was looking for something more noticeably pink. They said that I would be getting dyed pearls if that were the case though. Sounds like they are a decent dealer. Thanks again.

If it's a jeweler, you can be certain that the pearls have been bleached and pinked. Pinking isn't considered dyeing. It is a process that all akoya pearls go through before they reach the wholesale market unless they have been selected out from harvest prior, and those are sold with a special designation. Very few jewelers would even know about this, however.

The natural pink that one finds in akoya is extremely subtle and is an effect caused by thin-film interference when the light passes through the nacre. Whenever it is a part of the bodycolor, light or not, it's a product of pinking.

dcbhit,

If you really want pearls that are naturally pink, why not consider getting some cultured Chinese Freshwater pearls?

The freshwaters come in a range of natural colors that are really lovely and nowadays the Chinese are managing to culture round and nearly-round ones.

Back