Faceted Pearls

pearlescence

purveyor of pearls UK/EU
Hello pearl persons
This is my debut post. I just got these into stock. They are faceted pearls and a lovely ruby red colour. I cannot see how the facets are cut - the angles and planes are smooth and sharp and it sort of looks as if the pearl has been coated in some hard clear material into which the facets have been cut, but I cannot tell at all, even at the drill holes.Does anyone in the forum know how these are done?

They look amazing though, and as a start I made this necklace.

Straightforward knotting onto matching silk and with a sterling clasp
set with a faceted garnet.

Last edited:
Yes, much similar colour, but bigger.
Squinting at them again, with some the colour is thin to near white under the shallowest part of the facet, while the angles (where the apparent layer is deeper) is full colour.
Does this mean that the colour is in the coating?

Hi
Thanks for that. I thought white ones might be good for brides, many of whom seem to want a bit of sparkle.
I've not yet spotted any.

What size range do those pearls have?

Are you sure thay aren't faceted Lop Noors?- the color is exactly right.
(joke. The fabled "LopNoors" were a perfectly matched Christmas to cranberry red about 10mm)

Attachments

• rubyredpearls.jpg
    rubyredpearls.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 35
Here are some white faceted from Cool Beads. HERE is a link to a page of faceted pearls- one is similar to Wendy's. There are three red ones shaped like Wendy's if you scroll down. One of them is closer in color than the others. There are about 20 styles and colors of faceted pearls on that page..

Attachments

• coolbead white facts.jpg
    coolbead white facts.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Caitlin said:
Are you sure they aren't faceted Lop Noors?- the color is exactly right.
(joke. The fabled "LopNoors" were a perfectly matched Christmas to cranberry red about 10mm)

Freaky!! Pearlescence, according to the infamous, but now mysteriously vanished pearl scholar, Zeide Erskine, your faceted strand of red Lop Noors should fetch an astronomical price. Even with faceting, they are still rare enough that only Billy Gates can afford them. Count yourself lucky because according to the same infamous pearl scholar, you are only one of three people on earth that own a strand. Obviously, Prof. Zeide owns one(what didn't she own?), the Dalai Lama the other---and now you!!

By the serious way, that strand is lovely. Can you PM me the price of that strand. It warms my heart somehow.

Faceting pearls was first done by a Japanese company. They were able to cut facets in pearls the same way it is done on diamonds. For bead nucleated pearls the nacre has to be thick.

Slraep

Cor, I'm making plans to retire immediately, complete with sun, sand and someone else to do the cooking and ironing! I have four strands plus the necklace I made!

Back