Ebay estate pearl necklace

knotty panda

Pearl Knotting & Wire Expert
Wendy: I'm not an expert, I only play one on TV. Tell me, are you looking or really considering? Dania Beach (where the seller is) is covered with antique shops and a ready supply of estate jewelry. Several weeks ago, when I had a life, I saw a flapper style Biwa necklace dated late 20's for $18K. No clasp, just Biwa. Your necklace looks very similar, but much whiter. The size of the pearls are described as rather large but they appear to me to be nugget. I don't think I'd write this one off yet. It might be a good deal.

Last edited:
Gemsveritas said:
...they look too irregular (therefore cheap,if CFW) to be using a FANCY gold and diamond clasp.

The combination seems inspired to me (leaves & wild looking pearls make sense together)... Not all jewelry combines elements based on or according to their individual cost, and this may well be such a case. I would have used more strands, perhaps of different size... but what do I know what were they thinking making this one, what I am thinking.. is Robert Lee Morris and his pebble necklaces with the worst pearls used so well (IMO).

This being an estate piece, I wouldn't be surprised if the combination clasp & pearls wasn't a recycling project (e.g. making use of an older pin for clasp etc.)

And then, there could be other reasons. I wouldn't find this one too unusual... methinks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Valeria: My sentiments exactly. Recycle job, absolutely. A strand in the original design breaks and voila! new design! That would explain why the piece looks so new. Think they are Biwa? Wouldn't surprise me if the seller doesn't even know. The more I look at it, the more I think it needs a closer look.

Last edited:
Hi All,

These pearls have a lot of lustre--in the closeups, and one by the clasp seems to have a large lump, makes me think keishi? I looked at the other pearl pieces, not a lot of info on the pearls themselves, like I thought the 3-pearl ring would probably be white south sea--and little description of the colors and overtones of the pearls, like someone knowledgeble about pearls would likely do----IMHO-----

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

knotty panda said:
Think they are Biwa?

No idea... besides, if they were, how to tell them apart from the 'keshi' shaped freshwater of today?

I would be a bit surprised if they were forgotten saltwater keshi - rather large, unexpected matching and uniform colour, etc.

Frankly, I'd bet on new freshwater. Of a shape I happen to like quite allot, too :cool:

Hi Wendy,
The clasp as pictured does not show a makers mark anywhere. The clasp may have been made by someone early in their career before they registered a mark or by a talented partimer, possibly with help. It would not be unusual for a clasp made in a small production situation to be on pearls of that type. There is no date on the piece but the pearls by there look could be from lake Biwa. I was putting expensive gold and gemstone clasps on relatively inexpensive ( but nice) biwa strands of pearls in the 80's.
Then again maybe the pearls and the clasp are a recent recycle job.

DFrey

Back