Earrings or not earrings

Yes, Asurazzy well knows how to mix pearls and gems, but with such these sizes of stones, I should not want to be a ear... :):)
Seriously, I have stopped to carve gems. No surprises, none magic to do, maybe I have become bored ? but each pearl I carve is really an enchantment when polishing reveals final result... You would not believe your eyes! However my wife, herself, can't wait to see.
Edit : a gem's crystal really gorgeous to be used raw is diamond. An unknown use, but I assure you it's a special brightening beauty, a real present of the nature, like pearls.

Last edited:
I'm sure too heavy for earrings, Ericw ... but a necklace pendant ... maybe?

Unfortunatly, I am not jeweller.... I say that because, in France, it's impossible to be without special degree. If I should have been, I should work many design ideas I have. But each thing at the right place... In France, we have a phrase for that : nobody can work at furnace and, in the same time, at the mill...

My grandmother also had a phrase: It is never too late to learn something new. :)

Your grandmother was wise, Marianne. We have the same phrase in frensh, and it's why it's so interesting to share views on P-G.
In France, without special degree, we are not allowed to work precious metals, only steel, bronze.
I should want to share my ancient gems and metals carving, too, but I have gone to live two years in the middle of amazonian rainforest, alone, to paint animals, and there, moisture have destroyed all my photos I had kept with me. The only last I have, there are presents I have given to my mother, as this brooch (Jewel, specially its bronze, would have to be cleaned...) :
View attachment 55297

Last edited:
Hi Eric! Can you cut them and then polish it into cabochon? Or facet them. Will look better than rough form like that.

I wouldn't be concerned about the colour difference. When you list them for sale you just point out that one is a little darker. Depending on the final design it probably won't make any difference. I quite like the idea of mixing them with stones as a 'mismatched' pair as Asurazzy has suggested. I think with one pearl up and one pearl hanging down the difference wouldn't really be noticed. You could even try using a darker pink stone with the lighter pearl on the ear and then a lighter pink stone with the darker pearl hanging down. just a thought

Asurazzy, I am sorry, you have not understood me because my bad english... Of course, these stones are rough : these are the rest I have kept of my gems stock to carve. The smallest piece is as big as a prune (look at the graduation, in centimeters). To carve these stones (about 3500 carats) would give several hundred faceted or cabochon gems!
Katbran, thank you! It's not easy to find right colour to pair with this kind of pink, that I call "peach". I think a little warmer stone colour would be better, as madera quartz (made by heating amethyst) or some dravite tourmalines, all colours about amber, but a little more dark.

Last edited:
Waaghhh wish we can trade!! I have this a strand of 14-15 mm rippled freshwater pearl strand I got from Kongs pearl that I didnt like. U can make those cabochons n trade it with my pearls haha!

So I vote that Eric's pearls and his artistry are displayed in Renee Newman's next pearl book update :) Amazing work on all your pearls.

Btw that pearl display/sculpture really was a piece of art. If you have not already, you should consider doing one that is strictly an art piece.

Eric,

This statement is very shocking!

In France, without special degree, we are not allowed to work precious metals, only steel, bronze.

Here in the US we can buy and work in all metals without any degree or formal training. If one wants formal training, there are many art schools, colleges and even stores that sell beads and supplies can give lessons. There are many suppliers of karat gold, platinum and silver. It is simple to set up an account with most of them if one has a little jewelry business.

Wow! Thanks so much, BlackPearlDudeDC and BWeaves for your supports! I couldn't wish more than this true esteem for my work...:):)
Pattye, I regret so much I can't work myself jewels! Now, in France, most of freelance works need an licence, even to make just hamburgers, you must have a mandatory training which price is around 1600 dollars! Often, that's for a question of taxes to take anywhere about anythings... For exemple, you must pay a taxe just for having the right to stamp your precious metal, even if you have your jeweller's licence... Pfff

Back