Earrings or not earrings

ericw

Hi, Dear Friends
May I ask you your feeling about these two pearls : did you pair them to make earrings, despite their little colours'difference ?
Thank's a lot to read you.

peach 6 pair PG.jpg

Peach 6 pair recto etsy.jpg

Last edited:
The color difference is less apparent with the pearls seen against your skin, so probably it would not be very obvious on the ear lobes either. Also, they would not be seen side by side when worn.

I think you could get away with making earrings from them.

My opinion as you asked, Ericw: The pearls are lovely. They are a close match on skin, and will not be right next to each other, as they would be in a pendant. They are real works of art, both by nature and human hand. As such, I find the slight differences beautiful and part of the work of art, and I'd happily wear them as earrings, or some sort of creative pendant, or ... or ... :) Some people prefer "perfection" and are more bothered by such differences than I am. I'd display them together, and maybe even show them alongside or with an earring finding temporarily inserted but not glued ... to suggest the possibilities, but not glue in permanently till someone purchases them as so. That way you still have options. Just my opinion, for what it is worth :)

For what it's worth, I think the color variation would be fine, but the shape would maybe have a concern for me (though someone here who actually makes earrings would be better to address this than me).

My thought is that if the post is put in where the pin is now, at the pointy-party, then would earrings that large not sit nicely against the ear but instead sort of droop? If so, then instead of studs, maybe a dangle/drop type of earring with the pointy part up, at which point is attached the hook or whatever? Just a thought.

P.S. BritM has a great point. I never even thought of these as stud earrings ... I'd want them as a dangle/ drop, so the carvings dance and catch the light in every movement.

Sure, BritM, dangle/drop is a good idea, even pearls are near round, to well see carving. Just entangling with hairs can be a problem.
To show pearls as temporary assembled jewels is a great idea, too... First, I must speak about it to my wife... Second, it's not always easy to find the right chain (less than earring drops), but it's a great suggestion, indeed.
Edit : my wife has only one pierced ear ! After ten years, the time is still to the discovery.

Last edited:
Since my head would be between the two pearls, nobody would notice a difference in color. This is being said by the person wearing one black and one white Tahitian earring today. Also, I see these as dangly drops, not studs.

Ericw, I don't think you need a lot of chain, maybe just a wire wrap or a a loop at the top to wear on a hoop as a charm, or on an earwire?

An eye pin would work well as a drop from a lever back or hook style earring. You could also use a large eye pin (one with a larger opening) and dangle over a huggie style hoop earring so that it dangles much like a charm. Here is a photo of what I am trying to describe: IMG_2198.jpg
Please note that this pair are from my personal collection and are not for sale.

JErsey Pearl, those are gorgeous! I love purple. Can you take more picture when you get a chance PLEEAASSEE??

I have several pairs of Tahitian pearls that do not match exactly in color and size. Very close but not an exact match. I drive Jeremy crazy with I choose pearls for earrings that don't perfectly match. I always remind him that there will be my head between the pearls so they don't need to match. One thing he reminds me is that when he sells a pair of earrings they are sent out in a box sitting side by side. When the box is opened and someone sees them for the first time color and size need to match or they will be sent back. So does it matter? The answer is it all depends who the earrings are for.

A good point Newberry : even if some little colour difference is not a problem when earrings are worn ,it can be in evidence at the time to buy them.
It's precisely why I ask you your advises.
JerseyPerl, your earrings are wonderful ! I love so much this rare colour like aubergine, I hope to carve, some day, some of this kind of pearls...
About your idea, as my pearls are round shape, I think it's good, but reversed : hoop earrings would have tear shape, and it will be perfect.

Thank you Azurazzy... A good idea... and more, to use the pound and a half of rose quartz raw gems I have kept from my old carving works!
Look at this photo: enough gems for many many pearls, I think! And I don't speak about other stones also sleeping in my drawers.
But to carve stones has not the same charm than pearls, my passion, now.

View attachment 55243

Last edited:
Oh, but Ericw, I LOVE Asurazzy's idea of mixing pearls with gems ... how lovely would it be to make a pendant ... one of those soft pastel carved freshwater pearls of yours, hanging from one of these carved rose quartz crystals ... I'm in :)

Back