Earring quality Hanadama

Before freshwaters made pearls so much more affordable, I suspect most women owned fewer pearls. Probably many women only owned one akoya strand. Such a necklace would be worn more often and so would need to be restrung more often.

With regular use, after a year the silk might fray or stretch. Silk readily picks up oils and dirt so then the knots turn grayish. Gaps might form between the pearls as the knots stretch out. All these are indicators that it's time to restring.

A number of us have taught ourselves to string and knot pearls so we can take care of the task ourselves, saving money in the process and avoiding downtime while the pearls are out for repair. Knowing how to knot also allows you to buy loose pearls and make your own strands. It only requires a few basic tools and thread is cheap.

Well I guess I am one of those women who only own one set of Akoyas so they will see lots of use! Restringing myself is looking like a great option! I really wonder why the pearling industry is unable to come up with a more permanent solution, because frankly it sounds like a pain. A stronger, non stretch thread that was also gentle on the nacre!

Hi Ishta,
I would use Breader's Secret on Akoyas, especially if you are going to do it yourself. Power Pro is very strong and difficult to cut... (not a great quality for practice knotting). I use it in strands that contain metal beads or gemstones that might have rough spots in the drill holes. Good luck!

Some more Pros and cons:

Pattye's Serafil thread and Beader's Secret thread knots slide into place more easily than Power Pro if no tweezers are used.

True Pattye's Serafil and Beader's Secret can be cut more easily with ordinary scissors, but with a cheap razor knife Power Pro also is cut easily.

I have broken Pattye's Serafil and Beader's Secret thread with an overly enthusiastic tug, but I have never broken Power Pro.

Power Pro is a single filament thread so you can never accidentally split it with a wire needle, when back-knotting. Beader's Secret can be split unless care is taken to make a clear path for the needle when back-knotting.

Last edited:
Hi Ishta,

I also string my own pearls and this have given me opportunities I wouldn't have had otherwise - such as being gifted with one strand of Kamoka Tahitians and being able to string allowed me to make them into both a necklace and a bracelet. If you look at the website you'll see that they match many akoyas for price if I was to have bought them as finished pieces.

For practicing I recommend that you get yourself a strand of fun, inexpensive pearls. I'm sure you'll get inspired if you hang around PG :) That way you'll feel up to the task when the time comes to restring your precious pearls.

- Karin

Hi Ishta,

I also string my own pearls and this have given me opportunities I wouldn't have had otherwise - such as being gifted with one strand of Kamoka Tahitians and being able to string allowed me to make them into both a necklace and a bracelet. If you look at the website you'll see that they match many akoyas for price if I was to have bought them as finished pieces.
For practicing I recommend that you get yourself a strand of fun, inexpensive pearls. I'm sure you'll get inspired if you hang around PG :) That way you'll feel up to the task when the time comes to restring your precious

Thanks Karin , practicing on an old strand is a great idea, though DH wants to try, he is the hobbyist in this house! Lucky you having Kamokas! I have noticed that you can buy loose pearls and make your own pearl strand of pearls!

Hey maybe this is a way to get my Pelosi pearls without being relegated to Mac and Cheese!;)

Some more Pros and cons:

Beader's Secret knots slide into place more easily than Power Pro if no tweezers are used.

True Beader's Secret can be cut more easily with ordinary scissors, but with a cheap razor knife Power Pro also is cut easily.

I have broken Beader's Secret thread with an overly enthusiastic tug, but I have never broken Power Pro.

Power Pro is a single filament thread so you can never accidentally split it with a wire needle, when back-knotting. Beader's Secret can be split unless care is taken to make a clear path for the needle when back-knotting.

Hi Pearl Dreams, Power Pro sounds stronger, does this mean less frequent restringing!

Yes, it is longer lasting, won't fray, can be gotten wet etc.

Also comes in various thicknesses. Right now I have 10#, 20#, 30# and 50#-- but I know there is a 65# and I think an 8# available. The heavier threads are good for beads with larger holes. EBay is a good source for large spools.

:(

Hi BAS, I plan on being very careful with my pearls but also intend to wear them as often as I can. I am not in the least bit interested in wearing them a few times a year for formal occasions! I have heard that in Japan they don't knot between each pearl. It seems to me the knotting would prevent stretching! Anyway I don't know of any jeweler around me that I would trust the restringing to!

It must be a lost leader for PP do do such a labour intensive job for $20.00! I was expecting to pay a lot more!

I have even been looking at youtube videos to learn how to do them myself! I don't really like the idea of sending my babies away.:(

I made a youtube video on how to know without using tools for the knots a couple of months ago. I mean to do another one where I also show how to attach the clasps. Meanwhile Pearl dreams has made a very good written instruction guide to attaching the clasp and knotting with a tool.

I can't tell you how much we all love it when another member learns to restring their own pearls. It is not all that labor intentive. Hisano can knowxk on eout in 15-20 minutes, but it shouldn't take longer than an hour even with the learning curve.:cool:

Back