Doing “pearl surgery” while knotting?

amsev89

I am trying my second stringing/knotting project and running into issues with loose knots. I have had to reinforce and re-knot some sections. Will this hold up or is it wiser to re-start the project?

Thank you for sharing any tips or experiences! I am a beginner clearly

60F05C5F-C694-423A-8F5C-B21A596BDEEB.jpeg

I would start over. Your knotting will improve with practice!

Do you double your thread? I can't make tight knots unless I use doubled thread, personally. Pulling the two threads apart slides the knot close to the pearl, seating it properly.

Link to tutorial explaining this, with photos:

Thank you Pearl Dreams, I think I will have more luck using the double thread method. I find it super tough to get those knots close enough. I appreciate the tutorial, hopefully I can get this way to work.

I am also curious if glue is necessary? I am trying to avoid it.

Some people use glue but I do not. Since I back-knot for 3 pearls, there is adequate security. Sooner or later (depending on how often it is worn) even the best-knotted necklace will need to be re-strung, and I find that glue makes it harder to cut the necklace apart to redo it. If the glue seeps into the drill hole it can be especially problematic, and I don't want to have to drill out the hole.

Good luck with your project, amsev89! You’ll find a technique that works for you in tightening the knots with a little practice. I agree with Pearl Dreams in not using glue. I also back knot at the ends then use a thread burner, so eventually if an end knot comes loose, it is not going to break apart because of the additional knots. I have had a lot of frustration with restringing strands that have been glued by other stringers, so you would just want to be careful to only get a little on the thread. I have a little stash of pearls with stuck thread. Fortunately I can wear shorter strands or it would be a problem not being able to use some of the end pearls.

I use a thread zap tool also to cut the final thread. It does prevent fraying of the cut thread.

When I went to restring my metallic white FWP I could not get the glue out of one of the end pearls, and as I do not have a drill, that pearl was not usable when I restrung the necklace. I think if I buy another necklace from a vendor I will request that glue not be used in the stringing.

Thank you Pearl Dreams, Pearlescence and Jeg. I really appreciate hearing everyone’s methods.

I have a ton of these purple dyed pearls (not even really sure what they are but I got them a couple years ago in a 32+ inch rope at a vintage store) so I can mess around with them a lot and maybe glue toward the end knots.

It sounds like I should find a zapping tool. It doesn’t sound like anyone here uses a knotting tool so that’s another good thing to know.

B7393074-B097-4F9B-BD29-E5ED874AFD29.jpeg
Okay! I don’t want to speak too soon or be overconfident but I am really liking the double thread method so far. I kind of winged it a little at the beginning but think it’s going ok so far.

I don’t have a thread zapper or glue yet but was ready to get started.

I don’t know how you guys can cut apart and restring projects…it was a little emotional for me! But, I think this method will not cause nearly as much frustration.

Thanks so much Pearl Dreams, Jeg and Pearlescence.

I, too, prefer the double thread method, the same as in Pearl Dream's excellent tutorial. If pearls are very small, I may use a tiny dab of G-S Hypo Cement between the threads to make sure the tail doesn't work out. It doesn't stick like superglue.

Because you are using a variety of pearls, some may have various size drill holes, which can add to the knotting challenge and finding the best size thread.

Your knots are looking great here, Amsev; thanks so much for using Serafil!

Thank you for the kind words and the excellent thread, Pattye. I had such a hard time choosing from all the colors!

I do not mix well with super glue so I tend to shy away from it. I will check out the cement that you recommended.

I would start over. Your knotting will improve with practice!

Do you double your thread? I can't make tight knots unless I use doubled thread, personally. Pulling the two threads apart slides the knot close to the pearl, seating it properly.

Link to tutorial explaining this, with photos:
This tutorial was amazing, Pearl Dreams!

Thank you! I went through it last night fixing some dead links and adding back in a photo that was lost when PG changed over to a different platform last year. Websites change all the time, so if anyone ever finds any more dead links, send me a message and let me know.
This is very kind of you. I appreciated it and I am sure many others do as well!

I am now enjoying knotting instead of getting frustrated using the methods you show.

Do you still plan to knot on either side of the metal beads? (I wouldn't.)
The metal beads are small enough that they can function as a knot for the purpose of flexibility for the strand.

Hi Pearl Dreams,

I did add knots, but I am kind of regretting it a teeny bit because it adds so much negative space and is eating up my thread.

Thank you for the suggestion and all of your advice!

Attachments

• 7A9972DC-A779-4E72-81DA-B9E8C1996864.jpeg
    7A9972DC-A779-4E72-81DA-B9E8C1996864.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 72
Back