Did I get a good deal?

Dimple01

Can someone tell me whether I got a good deal or I have been looted? Picked up a pair of 12.5mm golden south sea pearls for 202 dollars (some blemishes a few pointy dents visibly there, shape seems to be round), a pair of 10.2mm black tahitian for 68 dollars (don't look completely black, are slightly different in colours if looked close not completely blemish free), fresh water strand for 23 dollars and the two pairs of fresh water earrings for 16 dollars. Does that look like I got a good deal? Did the rubbing the pearls together and seemed a bit gritty, could see my face clearly when seen in light.

When you are a new member, your first few posts have to wait for moderation, which may be why you had trouble posting the photos. Your Picasa link didn't work for me, but maybe it will for others. :)

The link didn't work for me, either.

In any case it is best to upload from your own computer, as then the photos remain visible on Pearl-Guide even if they are someday removed from your hosting site.

How to upload photos from a computer:

1. Click on Manage Attachments. This opens a small window, the File Upload Manager.
2. Click the green + button to "Add files".
3. Click "Choose File". This opens a large window to your computer files. Find the photo file you want to upload.
4. Highlight the one you selected and Choose it. The large window will go away.
5. On the small File Upload Manager window you should now see the name of the file you have chosen. Click "Upload".
6. Next to Manage Attachments you should now see the name of the photo you have uploaded.
7. If you have more photos to upload, repeat the process-- click "Choose File" on the small File Upload Manager window, etc.
8. When you are done uploading, click Preview Post to see your post, or just Submit.
9. If you want to add more photos or remove photos later, return to Manage Attachments.

No, the manage attachments does not work. It keeps showing uploading but does not probably something to do with my connection but with the same connection i could upload it on picassa. Please try this one and it should else i shall try uploading
https://goo.gl/photos/9rhsk8DgsCtyno9fA

That link works for me.

$23 for the peach/pinkfreshwater strand was a good deal. They're pretty!
At $16 the 2 dyed freshwater drop earrings are not overpriced either.

It would be good to have larger, closer-up photos of the studs from several angles. For instance, I can't tell from the photo whether the black studs are round or buttons, Tahitians or dyed fwp.

Is your vendor very reliable? I'm asking because the color matching on the GSSP studs is very close. I am wondering whether they might be color enhanced, given the low price. That said, I am certainly no expert on GSSP. And they are a very pretty color.

The freshwaters are priced ok .. You could try for a close up on the gold pearls from a couple of angles .. same with the dark studs. I'm surprised at the price for GSS pearls of that size .. those are the ones I'd be concerned about. But if you take some close ups we have folks here who know their SS pearls and they should be able to tell you.

Regarding the vendor reliability cannot comment. I am in Manila for some meeting and everyone seemed to recommend how Greenhills pearl market was shopping mecca. The market has various stalls and these are no frills shop, the pearls can have more or less imperfections depending on how much you intend to pay. The GSS was quoted at 270 dollars a pair and the black ones for 90 dollars a pair, after haggling i got these for 202 and 68 dollars respectively. Since i haven't picked up from a big mall store I am not too sure...

Looks to me like you have Tahitian and GSSP.

I gather these 2 pairs are not yet drilled? Then you can have them drilled where the flaws are. Luster also tends to conceal flaws.

I live in Manila, and I frequently shop in Greenhills.

I can see that you're a no-nonsense person, and that you appreciate straight answers. So for what it's worth, here are mine:

1. The freshwater necklace and the earrings were sold to you at near-tourist rates. The necklace is a better bargain than the earrings.
  2. A pair of button and near-round SSPs, between 10-12mm, with decent luster, and little to no orient, should sell from $70 to $200.... From the way they're mounted on the card, I'd say your Tahitians are 10mm and GSSPs are 11-12mm.
  3. For Greenhills prices, you paid a fair price. They will sell for more in malls, brick-and-mortar jewelry stores, and certainly much higher in the US.
  4. The little bumps are where the jeweller usually drills the holes. By the time the pearls are mounted, no one will know they were even there.
In Greenhills, I resist the urge to dicker on a low-ticket item; I usually pay the asking price. It's my warm-up, because a first sale eases the negotiation on the second, big-ticket item (which I had my eye on from the start).

So rest easy. For a tourist without assistance from a local, you did well.

Last edited:
I live in Manila, and I frequently shop in Greenhills.

I can see that you're a no-nonsense person, and that you appreciate straight answers. So for what it's worth, here are mine:

1. The freshwater necklace and the earrings were sold to you at near-tourist rates. The necklace is a better bargain than the earrings.
  2. A pair of button and near-round SSPs, between 10-12mm, with decent luster, and little to no orient, should sell from $70 to $200.... From the way they're mounted on the card, I'd say your Tahitians are 10mm and GSSPs are 11-12mm.
  3. For Greenhills prices, you paid a fair price. They will sell for more in malls, brick-and-mortar jewelry stores, and certainly much higher in the US.
  4. The little bumps are where the jeweller usually drills the holes. By the time the pearls are mounted, no one will know they were even there.
In Greenhills, I resist the urge to dicker on a low-ticket item; I usually pay the asking price. It's my warm-up, because a first sale eases the negotiation on the second, big-ticket item (which I had my eye on from the start).

So rest easy. For a tourist without assistance from a local, you did well.

Thanks, I just wanted to know whether it was a fair price; I did not intend to have a gem quality pearl at that price because I realised that they are freaking expensive. This is more affordable souvenir; the tahitians are 10mm and gssps are 12.5mm. Maybe next time when I am here, I can use your little trick for bargaining.

Looks to me like you have Tahitian and GSSP.

I gather these 2 pairs are not yet drilled? Then you can have them drilled where the flaws are. Luster also tends to conceal flaws.

Thanks, yes they are not drilled. I wanted to just hand them as a souvenir to my mother and sister, am not much of jewelry person and maybe that's a good advice getting them drilled at the flawed places so that those aren't visible.

Last edited:
The freshwaters are priced ok .. You could try for a close up on the gold pearls from a couple of angles .. same with the dark studs. I'm surprised at the price for GSS pearls of that size .. those are the ones I'd be concerned about. But if you take some close ups we have folks here who know their SS pearls and they should be able to tell you.

Here are the closeups on the GSS
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=MFJJUXVaZ2pKeTQ4UFNuekZad0h3NURyNk1WOEZ3

Last edited:
Back