Cream 7mm Pearls with Possible Rose Gold and Platinum Clasp

Tami

I hope nobody minds me submitting 3 threads.
I would appreciate any idea you can give me about these?
They are 7mm perfect rounds, cold and gritty and they have not been restrung. My jeweller doesn't know much about pearls but is pretty sure the unmarked clasp is platinum on the outside and rose gold on the inside.

IMG_0558.jpg
Blue Tridacna clams

Thank you for looking.

Did he test the metal or is he guessing? I would have guessed silver myself, or even base metal with a silver plating that may be wearing off on the inside, hence the color inside. The safety chain could also be silver; it looks tarnished.

I'm not positive from looking at the photos that these aren't imitation pearls, which would make sense if the clasp is silver/plated. Can you show us a close-up of any blemishes the pearls may have? Also if there is any coating flaked or missing, or excess coating, near any drill holes. Try to get it in focus as best you can.

Sorry I can't get any more pictures for a week or two but there is no flaking on the clasp and my jeweller is a manufacturer not a retailer. He is 100% positive about the rose gold, just not about the platinum, it isn't plated whatever, and, apparently that kind of sharp "cut work" would be almost impossible to do on silver.

If you look at the pearl between the clasp and safety chain on the second picture you will see that the chain has eroded the pearl around the hole. (I tried to find this to photograph it but whatever way I was looking I could not see it again until I had uploaded the pictures) the bead (about 1.5mm inside the nacre) is clearly visible

Then it is likely they are cultured akoya pearls, as Pareltje said. They seem to have yellowed a bit with age; this is common as pearls are porous.

Thanks, I haven't even attempted to clean them with soapy water as I rather like that colour so it might even be surface dirt. They are a distinctly different colour to the tiny white pearls.

The color won't change with washing, so it's great that you like it. I strongly recommend restringing them if you plan to wear them. Silk becomes weakened as it becomes old; it absorbs skin oils, moisture etc. and this makes the knots look dirty. You don't want to risk losing the necklace if the thread breaks.

It's actually easy to restring them yourself, if you are so inclined; many of us string our own pearls. See tutorial sticky threads on the Lowly Beaders Club forum for instructions. :)

Thanks...I tend to restring everything...my Grandpa taught me how to string pearls, apparently, in his day, pre WWI, it was a talent that curried more favour with the ladies than buying flowers or chocolates. :D

Thanks...I tend to restring everything...my Grandpa taught me how to string pearls, apparently, in his day, pre WWI, it was a talent that curried more favour with the ladies than buying flowers or chocolates. :D

This is so cool! Old romantic tricks in the new world -- and right on time for Valentine's! I should teach my son to restring pearls, he's just 5yo but it might help him someday. :D

They look like akoyas to me, too.

The clasp looks like tarnished silver. Platinum would be bright white. Rhodium (platinum) was often plated over white metals (like white gold), not over colored metals, to make the white metals look whiter. Silver was often plated over gold to make it look whiter.

I don't understand the comment about "sharp cutwork being impossible to do with silver." That only applies if the clasp is 100% platinum, which it is not.

I am sorry but I think you are slightly mistaken there...platinum and rhodium (that is plated over silver, white and even yellow gold to make it white and shiny) are completely different elements and metals.

The clasp is made of two separate pieces bonded together, the underside is solid rose gold and the top is solid and bonded to it (a lot of rings are made that way), so it is 100%...it's my fault that the pictures do not make that clearer.

Before the time that premade clasps were widely available, probably there were many talented bench jewelers who creatively designed their own clasps. It's a gorgeous clasp and wonderful to see! Please do show us when the necklace is restrung. So cool that you already know how to string! The creamy pearls are lovely too.

Back