Cook Islands Pearling Developments

Cook Islands

Cook Islands

I have made significant purchases in Rarotonga over the last several years. I have tried to work with the farmers to make changes in their grading. The fact is that the Cook Islands are a poor country.

Their pearling operations have been nearly wiped out on several occasions by disease and weather. They are completely reliant on Japanese technicians that demand up to a third of their pearls in return for there service since the don’t have the money to pay for there services up front.

Besides the pearls that I have purchased the vast majority of pearls are sold to the Japanese that commingle them with Tahitian pearls. The production is still relatively small it has not reached the levels of pre the great disaster.

The colors are greyer and less vibrant than their Tahitian cousins. There is no export tax making the pearls less expensive especially lower quality circle pearls since the Tahitian tax is on weight and the tax on those pearls can be higher than the cost of the pearls.

The conversation about the Cook Islands concentrating on growing better pearls and marketing them is not going to happen anytime soon. The farms just want to sell the whole crop for cash as soon as they can. The Japanese technicians control when the oysters are nucleated and harvested.

I do have a lot of 2 ups that was sent to me it is quite nice larger
pearls but I don’t need the lot if anyone is interested in a lot contact me.
IMG_1075.jpg

met with some of the bigger pearl farmers on Rarotonga
At the meeting (L to R): Piho Rua (Rakahanga Community pearl farm), George Ellis, Peter Bazar, Peter
William, Apii Piho, and Temu Okotai

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr. Bazar,

Thanks for the practical contribution, which was reported in detail in CIPA's newsletter, Poe Vira Vira. Certainly this thread has been largely conjecture, and suffice to say that the idealistic young farmer quoted in Post 11 was not among those farmers to whom you were introduced during your visit.

What a pity if the steamroller of mediocrity were to crush him under!

Last edited:
Whilst Japanese technicians may be prevalent in the Cooks (as indeed they are elsewhere and for good reason), there are other options including Indonesian technicians.

I agree that good quality pearls will not appear overnight but what a huge advantage it would be for their industry if they could harness what they have and move forward along a clear and defined strategy rather than hand to mouth.

They are completely reliant on Japanese technicians

I don't think that's entirely true. More the case that most of the seeders who work there are Japanese.

that demand up to a third of their pearls in return for there service since the don?t have the money to pay for there services up front.

Fair enough too. The technician usually has to provide the nuclei. Not exactly cheap. On ocaassion the money to buy long lines, chaplets and floats.

As far as I'm concerned it's relatively fair. There needs to be some sort of pay off for having to wait 18 months (or more) to get paid for services rendered. Especially if you've had to put in your own money.

The production is still relatively small it has not reached the levels of pre the great disaster.

The great disaster?

The Japanese technicians control when the oysters are nucleated and harvested.

That mainly happens because the Cooks was a place that people tried to fit in to their work schedules sometime during the year.

The great disaster?
Peter is referring to the disease that killed young oysters in 2000 on Manihiki. Ben Ponia said at the time that it would take five years for the local industry to completely recover.

Peter is referring to the disease that killed young oysters in 2000 on Manihiki.

There were concerns about the possiblity of a disease out break due to overcrowding as far back 1996/7.

Ben Ponia said at the time that it would take five years for the local industry to completely recover.

How badly was the industry effected? Considering how small the lagoon is does the industry want to return to the production levels of the late 90s?

There were concerns about the possiblity of a disease out break due to overcrowding as far back 1996/7.

How badly was the industry effected? Considering how small the lagoon is does the industry want to return to the production levels of the late 90s?
Greed (read mismanagement) was amply rewarded in 2000, it would seem. But Manihiki is not so small, one of the larger lagoons (area the size of Manhattan), so there is room for a significant number of large farms, and the semi-closed nature of the lagoon offers sufficient water circulation.

But basing an entire national industry on a single, susceptible lagoon has certainly had its down side!

But Manihiki is not so small, one of the larger lagoons

Relatively speaking it's one of the smaller lagoons I've seen.

But basing an entire national industry on a single, susceptible lagoon has certainly had its down side!

Penhryn is much larger but you then run into problems with logistics because of how isolated it is.

Relatively speaking it's one of the smaller lagoons I've seen.

Penhryn is much larger but you then run into problems with logistics because of how isolated it is.
Penrhyn (how many ways are there to screw up the spelling of that name!?) was actually the lagoon on my mind when speaking of Manhattan-scale and open reefs. Those open reefs have been mentioned as one of the reasons pearliculture was difficult to maintain (hard to catch spats in the currents), not to mention shark infestation and underwater volcanic activity. My romance with Cook Islands pearls certainly originates there, evidenced by the poe pipi in my avatars.

I have a friend on his way to Cook Islands for a holiday. Do we have a member there to whom I should direct him to buy some pearls? They would be a gift for his girlfriend, and he knows even less than me about pearls.

Bergman & Sons in Avarua provides the best quality and service at the top level. They will work within budget and help avoid the pitfalls of the tourist trade.

But primarily tell your friend to relax and enjoy, go on Pa's guided cross-island hike for some good exercise and fun, and tell Pa we said hello!

For Pa, it's 'friends of Almudena and Steve' (emphasis on Almudena).

As this thread has been miraculously revived, I would be remiss in not linking to the results of the CIPA's search for a more effective grading and marketing policy, ongoing during the initial posting phase here.

Avaiki, the mythological home of all Polynesian peoples, was chosen as the identity for a premium range of Cook Islands pearls. It's a beautiful and evocative name overflowing with cultural significance. A marketer's brainstorm?probably worth what he was paid. Now it's up to the industry to implement it.

My friends returned from Cook Islands, with an appreciation of pearls, but sadly, they couldnt decide on their favorites. They obviously needed an on hand pearl advisor with them, & I have graciously offered my services for their next visit. They did say they were impressed with the friendliness and really felt they were being looked after, even though the wires got a bit crossed. They told Bergman & sons that their contact was me in Melbourne, & Bergmans have never heard of me! Nice to know they were treated so well with such a tenuous connection.
Pearl people are nice!

I have just returned from the Cook Islands and had a quick day stay in Rarotonga. One thing that I noticed via a quick trip around the markets was that they only had the black pearls and everything seemed really expensive (like NZ$300+ for one pearl). It isn't helping their industry as the baroque pearls are just as sought after by the tourists (me included) especially as I would have liked to add a Cook Island pearl something to my collection.

Sorry you missed out on the Cook Islands pearl. There is a trusted seller, Carolyn Ehret (also a member here) on ebay that carries them--not sure how the price compares tho http://shop.ebay.com/druzydesign/m.html?_nkw=cook+island&_sacat=0&_odkw=&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3911.c0.m270.l1313

You reminded me of the last time I was in Mexico, wanting an inlaid abalone shell necklace, looked all over, finally found "the one" at the airport shop on the way home! Not a romantic story to tell, but love the piece!

The suggestion to purchase from Carolyn Ehret is best, she has top quality from one of the best farmers on Manihiki atoll. Aside from pricing (no higher than Rarotonga retail) you don't have to wade through the junk. Pearl retail on Rarotonga reflects the 'splendid isolation' of the place, where they tend to make their own rules. I must say my novitiate experience with black pearls there was a primary factor in pushing me towards naturals.

It's been two years since we've been to Rarotonga, meanwhile the 'Avaiki' grading system has been introduced. It would be interesting to see if this is having the desired positive effect on image, or if it has even been implemented in any serious or uniform manner.

Thanks for the link to Carolyn eBay store and her prices are about half of the markets (just as a guide). Now time to get that PayPal account up so I can go shopping!!!!!

Back