Cook Islands Pearling Developments

jshepherd said:
The Tahitian pearls that we see at shows in Tucson and Vegas that appear to be of a quality that should never pass export are almost certainly pearls that have come to the US via some route other than legal export, or they are not Tahitian pearls at all.

Been seeing lots(no pun intended) of those lately in stores around here. It's so obvious they cannot be from Tahiti. Nothing really surprises me when making a buck is involved. Lots of people do not realize what is going on.

Slraep

It would be very interesting if one of their native bivalves, the one that gives the natural golden poe pipi pearl, was studied more. The Pinctada maculata is probably as small or smaller than Pteria sterna of Cortez pearl fame.
P. Sterna is unquestionably a small oyster, according to one web source I found growing from 7 to 9cm shell height. P. Maculata occasionally reaches 6cm shell height, more commonly between 4.5 and 5cm. Culturing experiments on Penrhyn were done in the 1970s without success, and now there are serious questions regarding water temperature on the atoll due to volcanic activity.

Musings:

Perhaps implantation technology and tools have improved since the 1970s?

Perhaps P. Margaritifera and P. Maculata could be crossed (a la freshwater mussels)?

?perhaps someone in the Cooks is reading this!

Now that is an interesting musing!

Great, now in addition to imagining an ideal Cook Islands pearl trade we have conceived an oyster. As long as we're at it, we should find a good name?perhaps commemorating its birth here at Pearl-Guide?and thus circumvent any such posturing by some mere scientist.

;)

Speaking of crossing: does it ever work to use tissue from a related species for nucleation? Since that's what determines color, and the host is what handles size... it would seem that combining these factors in a new way could appeal to somebody, if this ever worked.

Valeria101 said:
Speaking of crossing: does it ever work to use tissue from a related species for nucleation? Since that's what determines color, and the host is what handles size... it would seem that combining these factors in a new way could appeal to somebody, if this ever worked.

Are you out there tonight, Josh? What ever happened to the P. maculata graft in the P. margaritifera. It worked, right?

I did suggest this a few weeks ago to 'Mr. Manihiki Farmer' quoted here, when discussing the creation of more high quality silvers and golds. He is half Manihikian and half Tongarevan (Penrhyn) himself, so it would be like having grandchildren? Glad to hear Josh has tried it, and very much hope he will report!

My favorite Fan-t-Z is the transgraft pearls. Her idea was to insert SSP mantle into freshwater mussels while thay are in a hibernating state to obtain a real Pinctada Maxima pearl. She even sent me one. I thought it looked just like a CFWP, though.:rolleyes:

Caitlin said:
My favorite Fan-t-Z is the transgraft pearls. Her idea was to insert SSP mantle into freshwater mussels while thay are in a hibernating state to obtain a real Pinctada Maxima pearl. She even sent me one. I thought it looked just like a CFWP, though.:rolleyes:

One of my favorite Fan-t-Z's is low quality P. margaritifera that come from the waters around Taiwan. Heheheh. Yah, look out French Polynesia!!

Slraep

This entire discussion may be Fan-t-Z if the Cook Islands Pearl Authority does not offer adequate leadership during the next few months, or an individual farm is not able to demonstrate an ability to consistently produce pearls that appeal to the quality niche market.

CIPA is aware of this discussion. Let's see if anyone there will have anything to add.

Fan-t-Z
That's priceless, Caitlin!

I wish I could take credit, but that is Jeremy's word.

Steve,
I hope the CIPA will encourage the kinds of pearls we have discussed here. CI pearls already have a bit of a name; now it is time to clarify it.

The CIPA should also note that getting into ecological perliculture would give them a great boost. The Cooks are a pristine piece of paradise in people's minds, and they should exploit that as a marketing strategy also. There are strong ecological movements starting up all over the place. I did a bit of research, and since last year, the number of eco-friendly products and ventures in all corners of the globe has sky rocketed. It is not a trend or marketing-spin of any kind, it is a modern day necessity. I would love to see that. I would pay extra for that. And if coupled with the unusual colours they are capable of producing---WOW!

Slraep

The individuals I've chanced upon are open to these ideas (if not already considering).

Been thinking about Jeremy's hint that Josh has experimented transgrafting P. Margaritifera with P. Maculata tissue. While such restlessness is to be applauded (as inherent to the pursuit of quality) and we anxiously await his results, here we have the opposite argument: Kamoka Pearls has established itself as a superior example of a classic category (Tahitian), and there would seem to be minimal advantage to challenging the typicity of said genre.

Josh, the Cooks await you?

smetzler said:
.... here we have the opposite argument: Kamoka Pearls has established itself as a superior example of a classic category (Tahitian), and there would seem to be minimal advantage to challenging the typicity of said genre.

Josh, the Cooks await you?

Heheheheh.

Slraep

This is a very interesting thread. I know nothing about branding but just an observation. For wine, you can bottle it, put a seal and label on the bottle and everyone can go get Y brand wine after reading that it scores 92 etc on Wine Spectator. For pearls, the Cook Island Pearl Authority or someone else would have to make a strong alliance with some distributors and retailers who can trace origin and proud to tell customers about originality of various pearls. Or CIPA would have to venture into a vertically integrated organization covering farming to retail themselves.

Ecologically farmed beautiful pearls, that would be a big plus.:)

Regarding comparing colors, I remember Josh showed some very beautiful color pearls (I love them!):), so may be CIPA can show some nice pictures for comparison if they believe they have more color variety.

I do remember Josh and Douglas commented upon the low pricing of Tahitian pearls (on the farmer's side), so perhaps innovation on Josh's part in culturing techniques, hybrids, etc. can bring some unique pearls to his farm (and may be later to other Tahitian pearl farms) that help improve his/their returns..:) Ecologically farmed pearls probably do cost more for the farmers...

Cheers,
Pernula

For wine, you can bottle it, put a seal and label on the bottle and everyone can go get Y brand wine after reading that it scores 92 etc on Wine Spectator.
Yes, labels are a distinct advantage, as well as winedom's 100-point rating system, although the producers easily manipulate this with technology. On balance, the rating system has accelerated the subrogation of individuality. Would hate to see it applied to pearls, although a 100-point Cook Islands pearl would certainly alleviate a lot of marketing drudgery!

Regarding comparing colors, I remember Josh showed some very beautiful color pearls (I love them!):), so may be CIPA can show some nice pictures for comparison if they believe they have more color variety.
My post early in this thread of pearls from a single farmer on a single day of 2006 harvest provides some hint of the range, in addition to my wife's keshi bracelet from another thread. But the concept of colors here has been carefully couched as more 'potential' than reality, given observations of the shells themselves, and the efforts of one man, Peter Cummings, in the 1960s and 1970s (simultaneous to the earliest efforts in Tahiti).

For pearls, the Cook Island Pearl Authority or someone else would have to make a strong alliance with some distributors and retailers who can trace origin and proud to tell customers about originality of various pearls. Or CIPA would have to venture into a vertically integrated organization covering farming to retail themselves.

I do remember Josh and Douglas commented upon the low pricing of Tahitian pearls (on the farmer's side), so perhaps innovation on Josh's part in culturing techniques, hybrids, etc. can bring some unique pearls to his farm (and may be later to other Tahitian pearl farms) that help improve his/their returns..:) Ecologically farmed pearls probably do cost more for the farmers...
Integrated producer/end consumer marketing is the key and one of the great advantages of labels on wine bottles, as each label is able to tell a story. Kamoka and Sea of Cortez direct market (to PP, Druzy, etc) and as such control their pricing to a great degree, while cutting out a middleman or two. They are clearly getting their message across, to a hardcore group of followers that eagerly spreads the word. I would wager that given continuity of current efforts they will each be able to raise their prices at will, alternatively offer their 'branded' pearls through conventional distribution channels.

I agree - both these examples, by becoming known by their "label" become sought-after in their own right. The fact that Josh's actual product is proudly typical of type is a testament to consumers buying more than the product itself. In Australia, no-one has heard of Kamoka pearls, or probably not Sea of Cortez either - I'm not sure how ingrained these brands are in the broader market in the US. To go via regular distribution channels would probably raise their profile amongst that market, but I also fear that they (Doug, Josh) would gain more than 1 or 2 extra middlemen in the process, and that the higher prices their product would attract would be lost to the actual farmers. There would definitely be a threat of them losing control of the distribution as well - and thus of their "brand" itself.

The way they currently market - yes, they could raise their prices and the desirability of their brand would mean that the consumers would happily absorb the higher cost. For the CI farmers - unless the entire CI industry was on board then it would be more advantageous for individual farms to brand, label and control distribution of their products themselves.

Last edited:
By 'brands' I hope it is understood that I'm not talking Paspaley here. As long as the farms can find the markets and manage their logistics in-house they would have no need for intermediaries. In the internet age, it seems that this is increasingly possible. That is the positive outlook for a resourceful individual in the Cooks.

No, no - thinking Kamoka, Manahiki (Carolyn uses it), Sea of Cortez... I agree - the internet has made it increasingly possible for individual producers to reach their consumers without complex distribution channels. Josh's fabo website would definitely make me want to buy his pearls over other Tahitians -not just for the slick production and drool-worthy images, but for the story it tells.

Back