Consignment Purchase- Can anyone tell me what I have?

heidih

Hello!
After spending (well, wasting) a lot of time trying to find answers with little to no knowledge and Google, I finally found this forum and I'm hoping someone here might be able to tell me what I have!
I purchased this three strand pearl necklace second hand at a price I thought might be too good to be true. I bought them through a consignment website where the seller had sold other jewelry with excellent feedback, so I took a chance.
To address the pinned post;
- Yes, the pearls are gritty
- Photos included- although I did not take them on a white background. If that’s necessary, I am happy to take more!
- The history is very unclear. The woman I bought them from spoke very little english, but did send them in a box from ‘Bella’ at The Shops at the Prudential Center in Boston. I do not know if they were purchased there, and believe it’s now closed. She said she paid $1250.
- I have provided photos, but do not see any numerical markings- everything is in the photos.
- I also am including photos of the measurements. Each strand carries and I wasn’t sure what would be the best way to articulate.

I appreciate any insight!
-Heidi

Attachments

• IMG_4126.jpg
    IMG_4126.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4125.jpg
    IMG_4125.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4124.jpg
    IMG_4124.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_5067.jpg
    IMG_5067.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5066.jpg
    IMG_5066.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5065.jpg
    IMG_5065.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_5064.jpg
    IMG_5064.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 45
You came to the right place for pearl information, heidih!

Those are baroque cultured freshwater pearls from China. They have no bead inside...they are solid nacre-- which makes them very durable. And they seem to have nice luster.

How about sharing a neck shot? :)

I'm editing to add a comment on freshwater pearl quality and prices. The seller said she paid $1250 for this. IMO that would be a high price for a baroque FW necklace like this today, even in a retail shop in an upscale location.

However, she may have bought this years ago. The Chinese have greatly improved their pearl culturing techniques over the past 20 years, and continue to do so. Nowadays you can get very high quality, even completely round FWP from China, some of which are hard to distinguish from South Sea pearls.

Assuming you are a pearl lover and that this won't be the last necklace you buy, you might want to become more acquainted with what is available today as you consider your next pearl purchase.

You can learn a lot on this forum, and I also like to recommend a highly affordable book that is filled with photos and up to date information, the 6th edition of Renee Newman's Pearl Buying Guide, which came out in 2017.
http://www.reneenewman.com/pearl.htm

Last edited:
Agree with Pattye and Pearl Dreams - Freshwater , not expensive. Clasp looks silver which is what one would expect. I would be shocked if someone spent 1200 for these. In a retail store I'd think a few hundred maybe ? There are some significant flaws. That said they are a nice size and look pretty with a decent lustre so enjoy them !

Thank you!

Thank you!

Thank you all so much for your help! I have always loved pearls, but never purchased them myself; it's time I look into it a bit more. For now, I'm still content with my purchase- I love the necklace and only spent about $100usd. I will have to get a picture of them on for you!
As a child, my father traveled a lot for work (mostly Singapore and Malaysia) and brought back a few different strands of pearls- my favorite being a very dark, slate gray/blue color. I'm excited to look into it more- and a perfect way to thank him again.

Heidih,

I think what you paid for them would be about right for freshwater pearls of that quality. I hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of wearing them.

Back