Colors of Freshwaters

There are some bi-color pearls there. How can you see any from that photo?! There are a few that have a graduated intensity from one end to another.

The colors are a mix of what we would consider freshwater exotic colors. Some, in fact most, are typical colors, but the intensity is what made them exotic. By typical colors I mean a range from deep purple, to deep peach and pink, to white - and everything in between. There some of those coveted green/peacock/gold-in-one pearls as well in the the lower line. Those are the darkest of the loose pearls. I was considering turning those lines into strands... who knows...

After reading these posts, I looked again at Jeremy's photo and I can see a bicolor pearl. It is towards the middle of the second strand from the top. It almost looks black and white to me. The way the photo shows on my screen I can't discern the colors very well, but I can see the difference in shade. It almost reminds me of a half-dipped Easter egg. ;) Is there anyway to get a clearer piture to see the color range? I did notice some peacock tones, but the rest seemed hard to determine.

Hi Valeria101! It's expected that if something unusual comes up, questions will come flying. It's a good opportunity to learn plus I did not spend a fortune on the pearls to really mind.:)

Now I'm thinking if mauve pearls are dyed gray.. Irradiation is another thing but this can be costly I assume...

Hi DFrey! Nice pearls! I understand it's very hard to capture the color!

Hi Slraep! They were presented to me as natural grays but no definitive testing available in this area.

Hi jshepherd! Your mailbox is full. I'll send close up photos to you shortly. Some pearls with exotic color will pop up once in a while in a strand... just one in a hank.... saw a deep purple (it was only 6mm which I find small) and a glowy salmon.

----------

A closer picture of the strand....

Attachments

• pearls3.jpg
    pearls3.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 42
Last edited by a moderator:
There are 2 peacock colored pearls in the strand...took a close up photo of one of them...

Attachments

• pearls5.jpg
    pearls5.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 38
Hi Alain,
thanks for massaging my photo, that is much closer to how the pearls actually look in the light they were photographed. The two on the left are the ones that look black not grey, and that can be seen now. If you wanted to make strands of "exotics" you would have to have access to a lot of pearls to sort through as Jeremy has indicated.

I will use most of my really "exotic" pearls in pendants and earrings, because of the small numbers of them I have. Makes my work stand out a bit because of the unusual pearls of high quality that I can put into some of my pieces.

Dfrey

Here are a few exotics, a little closer up. The bunch came from the second line of pearls in the original photo. You can see the natural colorations quite clearly.

Attachments

• Bunch.jpg
    Bunch.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 37
Jeremy,

Are those pearls really that iridescent? They appear almost oily and metallic in their shine. What color!

Last edited:
Those are amazing!!!!!! I hope this is the direction pearls will be taking. :)

I love seeing the reflections of the other pearls! Those are just fabulous :D

Hi Caitlin and All!

We will expect "Show and Tell" soon!!!

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Wow, that shine is just fantastic. Talk about mirror! And what colors! Yes, Caitlin, we will all be waiting for results on this one. Mainly though, I just want to read your first impressions when they arrive.:D

They make me think of golden eggs so much that I was almost looking for the goose. :D

They are simply stunning and I can't wait to see more.

Alain

Well here is my first picture- in the early AM sun. I will take another when it is brighter in the shade.

Attachments

• 5color pearls 003.jpg
    5color pearls 003.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 36
That picture is not good. The second from the left is dark purple. I have a strand of freshies that color and another with the orangier- I'll photo them too.

Shoot them away from direct sunlight. Try a single diffused source. IF you have something like rice paper or something else very thin to diffuse with, you should be able to capture the colors.

Seeing these pearls in several different photo settings is quite useful... Crazy how they change!

Caitlin, it would be great to see them (or at least hear your comments - just as good!) comparing these colors with the 'normal', non-fancy that you have and have seen... If possible & relevant & fun for you too, of course ;)

Here is another pic I don't have rice paper, so I just used indirect light.

These are some very colorful pearls with brilliant metallic luster. I can see myself in the mirror on them. The biggest light one has a most pronounced rainbow orient, but all of them have orient that changes as you move into different lights.

I will get my daughter to describe them as she can see much better than I can, even with glasses:cool:

Attachments

• undrill pearls 004.jpg
    undrill pearls 004.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 44
Back