Colors of Freshwaters

compared with 2 loose tahitians (middle and right) and a deep purple loose fwp.

I can't imagine the exotic colors are coming out of the market in strands of single color! Months ago, this was not the case. The matching is great (given the difficulty to gather the color) except in some lighting, some pearls are shinier than the others and some has a strong peocock overtone. Maybe soon, natural colored "black pearls" that are commercially available would not be restricted to tahitians!

Attachments

• pearls2.jpg
    pearls2.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 40
Oh, Perlas!

Those are gorgeous! And the ametrine!! A favorite of mine too! Did you buy a strand and string them yourself? I love grey pearls, but of course, most are dyed.

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

perlas said:
Ok. So I couldn't resist. I bought the gray pearls for my collection (which I found out turns purplish or pinkish in some lighting due to the overtone and orient, you can't quite get the color actually).

I think the color is perfect for my ametrine enhancer.:)

Hi Sam,

Lovely pearls. Freshwater pearls from Greenhill? Nice pendant too.

You say... the gray freshwater are of natural color? If so, how do you know? Got a bit of trouble with some: at first they were claimed not treated. Didn't believe that after seeing a load of hanks perfectly matched. Then the seller changed the label as well - they do not know, and the change apparently did no one any harm. The pearls - yours and theirs - remain just as great, of course. And I do not know for sure either - other than the hunch based on 'too many matched to be pristine'... for what that matters.

I purchased a parcel of fancy loose rice shaped pearls while in Zhuji in March. Surprisingly there are a small handful of grey/ silver, some almost black ones in this lot,a small % of the total number of pearls. These pearls all show mauve/ purple tones or pink tones as well. The color is very dependent on what light they are viewed in, as Perlas reports her new purchase is. I also purchased a large baroque pearl that appears grey almost black in some light and has strong tones of bronze and purple in other light.

These were all purchased as untreated , natural colors. I have no reason to believe they are not what they were represented as. These colors seem to be available as natural untreated but they appeared to be a very small % of the production that I saw in China. I saw none of these in the kilos of baroques I sorted through.

Dfrey

DFrey said:
Surprisingly there are a small handful of grey/ silver, some almost black ones in this lot, a small % of the total number of pearls. ...

Sure. I've learned on these light silver ones with pink/purple overtone right on this forum. Only the vast quantity of matches pearls got me suspicious, and if I am thinking twice, the suspect ones were a colder gray color...

Nothing to debate w/o pearls at hand. And even then...

The bit about "almost black" handful sounds terribly intriguing. :D

I am interested in how those were represented as well. They look very much like treated pearls, and unless I collected them myself (from a hundred kilo or so), I would not believe them to be natural without definitive proof. The dark ones I have seen tend to lead to the bronze (almost a gold overtone), and have peacock, Tahitian-like coloration.

Dyed or not, the colors are magnificent of all the samples on both pages! I really do like the one with the ametrine, though.

pattye said:
Those are gorgeous! And the ametrine!! A favorite of mine too! Did you buy a strand and string them yourself? I love grey pearls, but of course, most are dyed.
Hi Pattye,
I'm glad that you like it. The Ametrine is 27.01cts and had it custom made as an enhancer. I bought it as a strand.

jerin said:
Lovely pearls. Freshwater pearls from Greenhill? Nice pendant too.
Hi Jerin,
Yep, from Greenhills. After hours of hunting.

Valeria101 said:
You say... the gray freshwater are of natural color? If so, how do you know? Got a bit of trouble with some: at first they were claimed not treated. Didn't believe that after seeing a load of hanks perfectly matched. Then the seller changed the label as well - they do not know, and the change apparently did no one any harm. The pearls - yours and theirs - remain just as great, of course. And I do not know for sure either - other than the hunch based on 'too many matched to be pristine'... for what that matters.
Hi Valeria101,
I knew someone would ask along the way :).
How did I know?
1) I've been collecting exotic colors piece by piece for quite some time now in loose, earring quality and carefully studying the characteristics. Note that exotic colors are very few in a lot and very hard to match.
2) I checked on the drill holes and blemishes. No dye marks or concentrations.
3) I only get exotic colors that "glow". After looking at a lot of dyed freshwater pearls, I've observed that dyeing or even bleaching takes away the "glow". Natural colored FW pearls can be metallic but they also tend to fluoresce, while dyed fw pearls can have the mettalic look but they look cold like a ball-bearing.
4) The strand is not perfectly matched. In diffused light, difference in overtones can be seen.
5) I checked the drill holes and smashed a piece. Same color all thoughout. The dyed pearls I've peeled so far are white inside.

Dfrey said:
These pearls all show mauve/ purple tones or pink tones as well. The color is very dependent on what light they are viewed in, as Perlas reports her new purchase is. I also purchased a large baroque pearl that appears grey almost black in some light and has strong tones of bronze and purple in other light.
Hi Dfrey,
Same observation. I checked the pearls in 10am sunlight and it looks definitely gray. In diffused light, it looks gray with overtones 5 inches away, looks pink 2 meters away, and looks purple 4 meters away! In incandescent light, it looks a bit of darker gray and mauve.
I've been asking around and got the answers pinkish-gray and purplish-gray and even a definite purple.

jshepherd said:
I am interested in how those were represented as well. They look very much like treated pearls, and unless I collected them myself (from a hundred kilo or so), I would not believe them to be natural without definitive proof. The dark ones I have seen tend to lead to the bronze (almost a gold overtone), and have peacock, Tahitian-like coloration.
Hi jshepherd,
They were represented as natural color from a new harvest in China. It was said to be top-grade for western customers (although blemishing is present). The hank was composed of 6 strands of which each strand do not have the same intensity of color, overtone, and luster. No bronze and gold overtone though. They do not look like tahitians, definitely.

knotty panda said:
Dyed or not, the colors are magnificent of all the samples on both pages! I really do like the one with the ametrine, though.
Hi knotty panda,
Thanks! It's my favorite jewelry at the moment. I'd love to see more of your works, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have all 6 hanks or even more than one? Can we test one (GIA - I pay)? I have just never seen this coloration in a strand before, I would really like to know if it is possible. If it is, it could not come from the Hyriopsis c. or the H(xx), it would have to come from a hybrid (which has been in the water since 2003). I have never seen anything close in a natural coloration before. The overtone is not the issue, it is the body color. Do you have a pic of the full strand showing the different colors present? Was the price indicative of a true exotic - if white $100, exotic $1000?

perlas said:
Hi Valeria101,
I knew someone would ask along the way :).

Thank you! I am glad that the question wasn't too cross to get a serious answer :eek: Obviously, it is helpful to know how an unusual (& unusually beautiful too) piece was identified, where it comes from and so forth. Such detail makes the salt of the forum (IMO) :cool:

jshepherd said:
Do you have all 6 hanks or even more than one? Can we test one (GIA - I pay)? I have just never seen this coloration in a strand before, I would really like to know if it is possible. If it is, it could not come from the Hyriopsis c. or the H(xx), it would have to come from a hybrid (which has been in the water since 2003). I have never seen anything close in a natural coloration before. The overtone is not the issue, it is the body color. Do you have a pic of the full strand showing the different colors present? Was the price indicative of a true exotic - if white $100, exotic $1000?

No, I don't have all 6 but bought the top 2 "shiniest" strands. A definitive testing would be great. I admit it's quite a curiousity that's why it took me a while to decide whether to buy it or not. The price was as per usual high grade strand, maybe priced a teeny-bit higher but not priced as exotic. I wasn't thinking that the gray strands (especially that it looks pinkish gray or purplish gray) are that rare though compared to your brown strand.

The brown (or gold overtone) are found in multicolor strands. You see individual pearls quite often, just never full strands. But I have never seen freshwaters with a natural gray bodycolor. It is an extremely common dye color, however, and that is what makes me suspicious.

Here is a photo of some of the pearls that I mentioned in my last post. The photo is taken using halogen light. The camera is not picking up the pink purple tones in these that I can see with my eyes.

Dfrey

Attachments

• rice.JPG
    rice.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 43
Dfrey,

Verry Nice! makes me want to go get more black pearls now... I loke those!!!!

Ash

Dfrey, I played around a bit with your picture and got it to show a bit more pink purple tones. Dunno if that is what you meant.

Alain

Attachments

• bl-pearl.jpg
    bl-pearl.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 39
This is a pile of exotics that I have been working with off and on since the last trip. If any of you saw the last short videos, these were the pearls we were collecting from the 100-kilo baskets. From 2 baskets we collected about 500 grams of exotics.

This is also where we collected the pearls used in that brown/gold/peacock strand - which, incidentally, will be featured in the next issue of Gems and Gemology.

The pearls we sorted through to find the exotics had only been sorted by shape and size. No color sorting...

Attachments

• exotics.JPG
    exotics.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 37
Jeremy, How would you desribe the colors on the ones in the photo you just posted? Since they are a bit small in the photo it's hard to tell.

Hi Perlas,

Your strand with the ametrine enhancer is gorgeous! Those purply grey pearls are natural?? So lovely. Gotta get me some.....sigh.

Slraep

jshepherd said:
This is a pile of exotics that I have been working with off and on since the last trip.

Do I see some dark peacock with green overtone, and BICOLOR pearls?

:eek:

Back