Coconut Pearls

Caitlin,

Great find. Will be interesting to see what Strack decides to do with this in her next updated edition? The 'pearls' pictured in the link of my prior post do appear distinctly botanical, although I'm sure Indonesia has no shortage of expert carvers!

Clearly faux is omnipresent in every category?such is human nature.

Let's see if we get any comments from the archipelago.

Steve
Seattle

Another lesson to check Strack before posting. She's already got this covered quite safely: "It is widely thought today that the so-called coconut pearls are in reality pearls from Tridacna.' (p257).

Verbatim comment received from Indonesia this morning:

In regards to coconut pearls, many researchers argue that the substance of coconut pearls could not have come from the coconut--ergo, is not a coconut pearl. However, here we are confronted with the science of "Biological Transmutation" of which Louis Kevran, nominee for the Nobel Prize was the foremost proponent. Scientists have long found the "evidence of non-radioactive, low-energy transmutation of light elements in plant, animals and minerals." They have observed various phenomena such as how hens living on a diet with little lime in it can produce lime in her eggs and feces 5 times more than the oral intake. Also, how certain seaweeds with little iodine in its environment can produce an abundance of the substance. These are evidences of trasmutations of matter taking place. More info on the subject: http://www.levity.com/alchemy/nelson2_8.html

Biological Transmutation can also offer the solution as to why some pearls produced by snakes, centipedes and other creatures are "silica-glass"-like in nature.

One repeated comment in regards to coconut pearls is that they are very scarce and may only be found one in a million coconuts or so, and that the many coconut pearls being offered by us or elsewhere cannot be authentic. These comments are made by people not living in coconut-plantations in the tropics and thus they miss the reality of the situation. Coconut pearls are a natural product of Nature and they are not as scarce as formerly believed.

Anyway, that's they way they see it (I'm just the messenger here!).

Steve
Seattle

coconut pearl is real

coconut pearl is real

It is said that it is one in a million chance but my friend found 4 pearls in 3 among the 20 she bought to make coconut oil.

I have the benefit of one, she gave to me. Mine is one of two found in one coconut, meaning mine is one half of a twin..

They looks so much better than what you can see on the internet site.

Anyone who wants a pic of the four pearls, feel free to drop me a note at: kiongaw@yahoo.com

Another lesson to check Strack before posting. She's already got this covered quite safely: "It is widely thought today that the so-called coconut pearls are in reality pearls from Tridacna.' (p257).

Verbatim comment received from Indonesia this morning:

In regards to coconut pearls, many researchers argue that the substance of coconut pearls could not have come from the coconut--ergo, is not a coconut pearl. However, here we are confronted with the science of "Biological Transmutation" of which Louis Kevran, nominee for the Nobel Prize was the foremost proponent. Scientists have long found the "evidence of non-radioactive, low-energy transmutation of light elements in plant, animals and minerals." They have observed various phenomena such as how hens living on a diet with little lime in it can produce lime in her eggs and feces 5 times more than the oral intake. Also, how certain seaweeds with little iodine in its environment can produce an abundance of the substance. These are evidences of trasmutations of matter taking place. More info on the subject: http://www.levity.com/alchemy/nelson2_8.html

Biological Transmutation can also offer the solution as to why some pearls produced by snakes, centipedes and other creatures are "silica-glass"-like in nature.

One repeated comment in regards to coconut pearls is that they are very scarce and may only be found one in a million coconuts or so, and that the many coconut pearls being offered by us or elsewhere cannot be authentic. These comments are made by people not living in coconut-plantations in the tropics and thus they miss the reality of the situation. Coconut pearls are a natural product of Nature and they are not as scarce as formerly believed.

Anyway, that's they way they see it (I'm just the messenger here!).

Steve
Seattle

The claims that all these pearls are made by the animal or plant in question, are some kind of animal silica, is just more Indonesian metaphor for the "fairies" or "elves" who really make those pearls out of blown glass in their secret places in the forest. They are invested in the shamanic power of the objects and the story is about as real as the story that Chinese Crested dogs are an ancient Chinese breed used to catch vermin on ships!!!!!!! The fact is, there was never a naked dog anywhere but in Mexico, until after the Conquest. But who wants to admit that now? Even in the face of all the evidence, the announcers ringside at the dog shows always talk about the vermin-catching Chinese dogs as the progenitor of the breed!!!!

Did you ever hear how a pearl is formed? It is formed by a grain of sand irritating an oyster, which then coats it with nacre. Yes, and I have a bridge to sell you- I have a special on the London bridge which now resides over the Colorado river between AZ and CA. It was moved once; it can be done again- if you are interested......

Sometimes, the common myth has not a grain of sand of truth in it! And neither does a natural pearl while the ones sold as shamanic objects- with very few exceptions, ARE made out of grains of (melted) sand!!!

We haven't heard much on the elephant pearls lately, either!

By the way, chickens can not make eggs with good shells, if they are deprived of lime. They can run on empty for a while, but it kills them. There is so much iodine in the ocean, it is everywhere, no ocean plant has to manufacture it, to get it!!! That kind of specious claim really erodes your arguments! Who do you think you are fooling? Yourself, no doubt. But not anyone who knows better.

The guy who wrote the cited paper is an alchemist! It was not for his alchemical work that he was nominated- that would open too many "wrong" doors. Even Newton "believed" in astrology! What scientists believe when off duty, is sometimes not the stuff of science. I am well-versed in both astrology and alchemy from my Haight Ashbury youth. I can throw a horoscope and interpret it- without a computer program! That does not mean I think is science or even valid, except in the most general terms.

BUT, but, but, but, astrology and alchemy are both sources of fabulous metaphors! Sometimes, performers really are leos! Wha- about 1 in 12 that is. I am a former performer, leo/pisces, aries moon- something that actually describes some of me. Except tropical astrology is not even based on where the signs are in the sky. It is based on the occurrence of the spring equinox, which is now 23 degrees out of alignment with the actual constellations! The Indians and Chinese use a sidereal, star-based, system which matches the constellations. I am a Cancer, Aquarius, Aries moon by that sytem. And it describes parts of me as well as the usual "tropical"system westerners use.

Likewise silica pearls are shamanic substitutes for metaphors found in nature, and from an ancient and beautiful traditional method of healing, which really does help heal aspects of the person, in this case, the ills of the soul, which can cause physical symptoms. Inspite of my rigidly insisting that these are metaphor, not science, I firmly believe in the power of metaphor to heal the soul, which always helps heal the physical problems that arose out of the soul loss. As a former certified professional counselor (cpc), I have long been aware of folk medicine and trust its place in modern medicine is as important as the traditional medicine system we use. In fact, I am not just a debunker of pseudo-science, pretending to be science, I realize it is the metaphor that unlocks the path and shows the progress, not the physical object itself. Remember Dumbo and the feather? He believed the feather would make him be able to fly. And it did. While there is no such THING as Santa Claus, the energy his name invokes is a real energy. A silica Santa egg would do the same thing, if that were the Rx.

In fact, consider this a self-disclosure, I have previous only hinted at, over here in the past 7 years. You guys know me as well as anyone else! You may not be surprised that I love curanderismo, the Mexican traditional medicine and have blogged about it in the past and plan to do more of that in the future. The Aztecs are not just coming, they are already embedded in our entire landscape. Curanderismo is on the rise. In fact, it could be one's first stop in healing for most physical maladies because curanderas can and do take the place of the family doctor and refer one to the proper practitioner as needed, including the PCP!

Anyone interested in this, bring it to my blog. PM me and I will send you my email. I am not a practitioner, so don't think I have any agenda except expanding knowledge and sharing enthusiasm about traditional medicine.

I keep adding, but one more thing. This topic of pearls produced by plants and animals is at the intersection of science and shamanism. On this forum, which is science-based, we need to make it clear what is science and what is metaphor. This does not demean metaphors at all, it just means we need to keep them clear and not muddle them.

Last edited:
This topic of pearls produced by plants and animals is at the intersection of science and shamanism. On this forum, which is science-based, we need to make it clear what is science?
Caitlin, appreciate a return to the esoteric side!

Kiongaw, please post your pictures. I doubt anyone will EMail you for them.

As for science, all living organisms have the need to (bio)mineralize at one point or another, or suffer the painful and fatal alternative experienced by Lot's wife. So one cannot discount the existence of coconut pearls, neither that they might be composed of calcium carbonate?as common to the plant world as it is to mollusks.

And I have no doubt that Tridacna pearls have been offered as coconut pearls. However, the reverse is as likely.

In Hubert Bari's new tome 'Pearls' he denies that Tridacna (Kima) pearls display the flame effect typical of crossed-lamellar non-nacreous aragonite microstructure, attributing this rather to Fusinus, or Nautilus.

Conjecture is easy. I've had the opportunity to seriously test the scientific community on some of these issues in recent months.

It's not a simple matter!

Caitlin, you managed to dig up a quizzical era at Pearl-Guide that particularly appealed to me. The advent of pearl culture has left the natural side?biology as well as the many associated myths and legends?largely untouched and unexplored during much of the past 100+ years.

(Careful to note that I never was on board with those glass mustika objects?)

It appealed to me too. You are so right. there is actually more available now on the science, than on the pearl myths and legends of local peoples.

Well, it appears most folk traditions have a town/street side which does sell objects and or spells for various reasons, love, health, wealth....

Your contribution is noted. Interesting picture, strange color in the pearl. I wish I could read any corresponding text and or scientific input, though. If someone id'ed that as a coconut pearl, how was it found? What is the chemistry of the pearl? It could be one, but it most be proven so by provenance and testing. Is it?

It looks like a big pale orangy melo melo pearl, is it?

There is a coconut pearl in Coconut palm laboratory of
Satake Company in Hiroshima, Japan.
You can see picture of coconut pearl in this page.
They say that you can find about only one pearl in 750000 coconuts.
http://www.satake-japan.co.jp/ja/palm/house.html
Sorry for my limited English.

Good Luck,
cocopoco from Japan

roughly translated it says:
"Coconut pearl"

At a ratio of 750 000 to one, coconut pearl is found in the endosperm of the coconut palm. I found a really rare specimen collected from the edible endosperm. It was also exhibited in the "International Garden and Greenery Exposition" held in Osaka in 1990.

roughly translated it says:
Coconut pearl"

At a ratio of 750 000 to one, coconut pearl is found in the endosperm of the coconut palm. I found a really rare specimen collected from the edible endosperm. It was also exhibited in the "International Garden and Greenery Exposition" held in Osaka in 1990.

Most natural pearls are extrapallial, but some are congenital or environmental abnormalities. Particularily in the tiny workings of the pancreas or gonads. The fact that endosperm is involved in plants still means the presence of a reproductive anomoly that gives rise to pearls.

One thing pearls have in common though, is they all grow from the outside inward in layers or concentric rings. However, these appear to grow from the inside outward. (though I'm not certain).

Calling them a pearl is technically a bit of a stretch. Other than what I've mentioned in a couple of lines, I see very few parallels with these and molluscan pearls.

Back