Close up of a pearl

Let us know if you get anywhere with the DNA testing. Its an interesting concept. And the idea of investigating the possiblilites of using pearl DNA for medical research was spoken like a true doctor!

I wish we could use a construct like this to isolate malignant behaviors. Psychiatry and Psychology used to have a 'touchy feely' reputation. Today the counseling end is much more scientific. Facts have to be verifiable by consistent research, reproducable. (To be a psychaitrist of course you must also be an MD).

How wonderful would it be for people who, if they wanted to make changes in their own thought process, could identify the specific problem, then use their own DNA to create a wall which would enclose all the old formative structures they had built over years of practice. This would enable them to learn newer, better behaviors easily without the constant knee-jerk response of the old ones getting in the way.

Pearl behavior therapy! Sounds like a magic pill doesn't it?
barbie

Radical Thinking

Radical Thinking

Hi, Barbie,

That is a remarkable idea, definitely outside the box, which is where real change originates.

Regards,
Tom Stern,MD

Here's a pic of a Cassis madagascariensis pearl for comparison.

cassisax1.jpg

Scale is mm.

Dear Effisk,

I'm confident Cassis and other marine gastropods can produce a very white pearl, for example there are many, many white conch. I'd love to find some Cassis like that photo you submitted. WOW!

Tom Stern,MD

Dear Effisk,

I'm confident Cassis and other marine gastropods can produce a very white pearl, for example there are many, many white conch. I'd love to find some Cassis like that photo you submitted. WOW!

Tom Stern,MD
Calcareous concretions are typically most highly esteemed only when definitive colors are evident.

Effisk and Tom: are we days, weeks or months away from better photos of the 'Close up' pearl of this thread and Effisk's nautiluses? Both subjects are begging substantiation.

Effisk and Tom: are we days, weeks or months away from better photos of the 'Close up' pearl of this thread and Effisk's nautiluses? Both subjects are begging substantiation.
Working on it. Just wrote to the keeper of the beast.

In the meantime, here's a little game:

try to identify all pearls in this photo: ;)
nocheatingnp2.jpg

edit: actually, the big round one looks a bit similar to Tom's initial pic. Could it be of the same origin?

Back