Circa 1940s Necklaces - What Kind of Pearls?

vagabond123

Hello all, thank you in advance for any expertise you can provide! My grandmother handed down these necklaces to me about 15 years ago, and I believe she said at the time they were given to her as a young woman, which would have been in the 1940s. (Although I don't know if they were purchased new or handed down from her own mother, so one or both could be even older.)

The first necklace I've always wondered about because the color is different from other pearls I've seen. (I've included a side-by-side photo of the two necklaces for comparison.) There is noticeable variation in color and luster, as well as noticeable blemishes. The pearls are 5mm and feel slightly gritty, and the clasp is marked 14K. The length is 16 inches.

The second necklace is graduated, with the smallest pearls measuring 3mm and the largest 6mm. The pearls feel slightly gritty and some have slight blemishes. The clasp is marked STERLING on top and bottom. The length is 18 inches.

Thank you! Pearl Necklace 1.jpgPearl Necklace 2.jpgPearl Necklace 3.jpgBoth Pearl Necklaces.jpgGraduated Pearl Necklace 1.jpgGraduated Pearl Necklace Clasp.jpg

Back