Chinese Nucleated Saltwater Pearls

AviG

Hello everyone,
I'm new here so please be patient!
I've recently bought a beautiful natural purplish pink nucleated necklace, i made it certify just to be 100% sure about my purchase (the size of the necklace is 14.7x12.3 mm) but the only problem that has occured is that in Italy they don't have the name of the mollusc that gives the colour to these pearls...can anyone help me?
My supplier told me to send it back to him in China and he'll send it back to me with chinese certificate but i want a european one.
thanks for your help
AviG

Hi Avi,

The shell that creates the pearl is the Hyriopsis cumingi, or a hybrid of the Hyriopsis cumingi and Hyriopsis schlegeli. The purplish-pink coloration is typically natural, and is a typical color of the large beaded freshwater pearls called Edison Pearls by the Grace Pearl company in Zhuji, China.

Hi AviG,

Can we have a picture? I know your question has alrady been answered but the necklace sounds gorgous and we would love to see it :)

- Karin

Thank you very much Jeremy for your reply, very helpful;
Karin and Caitlin i will try to post a pic of the strand asap!

AviG

Hang on, this might be a translation problem but the thread title is Saltwater pearls and Edisons are freshwater...?

Hi Avi,

The shell that creates the pearl is the Hyriopsis cumingi, or a hybrid of the Hyriopsis cumingi and Hyriopsis schlegeli. The purplish-pink coloration is typically natural, and is a typical color of the large beaded freshwater pearls called Edison Pearls by the Grace Pearl company in Zhuji, China.

With reference to your quote, I am very curious about these, Jeremy. Would Hisano's gorgeous strand come from these as well?

Would anyone be able to shed light on these (below) 19mm freshwaters as well? They have some purple and pink hues that I'm trying to wrap my brain around.

Attachments

• 076.jpg
    076.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 35
And those are all freshwater, right? The Edisons look amazingly smooth and rich, though ALL are beautiful!

With reference to your quote, I am very curious about these, Jeremy. Would Hisano's gorgeous strand come from these as well?

Would anyone be able to shed light on these (below) 19mm freshwaters as well? They have some purple and pink hues that I'm trying to wrap my brain around.

Yes, that would be the same shell. Those pearls have some of the same shapes and colors as Hisano's strand!

Hi everyone, i'm struggling to find out how to upload the pic...any help?!

When you reply the thread, you will find button "Manage Attachments" which will open a pop up page. Click "Add Files" > "Select Files" > "Upload Files" > "Insert Inline" (make sure uploaded pic is checked) > "Done".

Hope this helps.

here is the pic, i'm very sorry for the quality, i took the pic with my phone, if not clear i will send to a professional ;-)

AviG
Ps thanks perlinda !

Attachments

• saltwater.jpg
    saltwater.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 40
Oh wow, a deep purple rather like your mauves Wendy. Your gold leaf ones are still ranking high in my books!

As for my strand from the newly-crossed mussels, I am going to send a virtual *kiss* to my supplier now. They are nowhere as pretty as Hisano's but I'm still happy to have them.

Back