Chinese and Japanese Freshwater Photos

Wow! Beautiful pearls! Excellent pictures!
Thanks for sharing,
Jean

Thank you Pattye for putting this at the top of our list again - it was lovely to revisit!!

Thanks Pattye, I must have missed this when reading old threads.......
How Amazing and beautiful..
And I learned something!
Robin

I completely missed this thread, and am SO happy it has been brought to the surface! Thank you, Pattye!!

What AMAZING pearls, such gorgeous photos! Wishing I was headed to the Vegas Show to see them in person... :rolleyes: I wonder what such a strand feels like around the neck...?

The texture is so intriguing... I wonder- since water is apparent based upon the fineness, translucency and uniformity of the platelets, do the 'pebbled' surfaces get in the way of visual depth?

Thank you kindly ladies!

As for the shells, we have seen no evidence that any other shell than the Hyriosis cumingii, or the Hyriosis cumingii/Hyriopsis schlegelii hybrid are being used in fresh water cultivation. It is probable that these pearls come from such a hybrid.
Some people selling similar pearls have taken to calling them "Ikecho", (which is the name for Hyriopsis schlegelii in Japanese). However only hybrids have been used in Japan since about 1990.

Sincerely, SARAH

Hi Sarah

How long ago were the FIRST Chinese "kasumi like" pearls produced ,
as far as it is known?
Is there a way to know where it comes from when having a strand in hands?
maybe it is in another thread, but I did not find it :confused:

Thanks a lot

Here's another look at an earlier post, with some pearl pics by Sarah, showing some results of early In-body (as opposed to Mantle) tissue+bead nucleation.

Back