Can you buy top quality FW pearls in China?

Mikeyy

Pearl Diver
I was reading that one supplier buys all the top quality FW pearls in China. Really? So if you go to China you are already sorting through the dregs? Could somebody clear this up?

Thanks Jeremy. I was half kidding. But I am happy to hear that there a few puddles left.

So, in this case, "Don't believe everything you read", would apply?

It was mentioned very recently here that sellers often bring out lesser quality merchandise until a buyer demonstrates some knowledge of pearls. One person might think that their experience illustrates Mikkey's question, but someone else could have another experience entirely with the same seller simply because they express themselves differently.

barbie

In my dealings with china, if you have the right source (someone with a direct connection to a larger farm) you can always get good quality stuff. I just got in some AAA 8mm half drilled pearls from my supplier, it was the first time I ever trusted him with something high quality, and I was pleasantly surprised with the quality, they were completely round and only had very very small imperfections (0-2) near the drill hole. the customer for them alse was pleased with the result after many e-mails stressing the importance of getting the best quality pearls. To me about 1/3rd of them were completely indistinguishable from really good quality akoyas.

When dealing with china, I find it useful to be redundant when asking for top quality pearls, use terms like "AAA, completely round, perfect quality" and so forth, and you will get to the good stuff. although with the uncertainty of pearls farming and pollution, I suppose it would be possible to have a certain time of the year where it was impossible to get the best quality, although I generally deal in the lowest quality pearls, and those are in ready supply in bulk all the time.

Sure you can. Maybe not always gem but even AAA isn't hard to find. Price would depend on when and where you go. For timing I'd say after Chinese New Year if you're buying from retail outlets, assuming you even have a choice as to when to go. That's when business is least brisk and they'll cut prices just to make a sale even if they don't make much. I wouldn't pick the Golden weeks (even if they are trying to abolish it). For metro Shanghai's Hongqiao pearl city is pretty good one, Weitang in Suzhou and finally the biggest would be in Zhuji (Shanxiahu). I don't think I want to go all the way to Zhuji until the jewellery city is complete. Suzhou is as far as I'd wander. It gets cheaper the farther away from the city you get. If you speak the language it's ideal, as you would not require and interpreter and can ask for exactly what you want. I agree the terms to use would be luster, roundness, and lack of blemishing. Have a reference strand with you to compare with until you're confident of ascertaining quality (well, just in general for the non-GIA certified members here anyhow). Even if you don't speak the language, it just takes a little longer to get the point across (there are usually other helpful tourists around - if I happen to see someone asking for something at a pearl store I'm happy to help at least) and some of the younger store owners actually speak English. Calculator talk definitely gets the point across. Beats getting an interpreter because sometimes they take a cut as well.

That doesn't mean most of what's on the floor/display isn't junk. You just have to ask for what you want, that's all. And be careful about pricing - don't look too keen to buy. They usually slash prices themselves if you're hesitating and trying to get away.

Now you've got me itching to go again ...

Sure you can. Maybe not always gem but even AAA isn't hard to find. Price would depend on when and where you go. For timing I'd say after Chinese New Year if you're buying from retail outlets, assuming you even have a choice as to when to go. That's when business is least brisk and they'll cut prices just to make a sale even if they don't make much. I wouldn't pick the Golden weeks (even if they are trying to abolish it). For metro Shanghai's Hongqiao pearl city is pretty good one, Weitang in Suzhou and finally the biggest would be in Zhuji (Shanxiahu). I don't think I want to go all the way to Zhuji until the jewellery city is complete. Suzhou is as far as I'd wander. It gets cheaper the farther away from the city you get. If you speak the language it's ideal, as you would not require and interpreter and can ask for exactly what you want. I agree the terms to use would be luster, roundness, and lack of blemishing. Have a reference strand with you to compare with until you're confident of ascertaining quality (well, just in general for the non-GIA certified members here anyhow). Even if you don't speak the language, it just takes a little longer to get the point across (there are usually other helpful tourists around - if I happen to see someone asking for something at a pearl store I'm happy to help at least) and some of the younger store owners actually speak English. Calculator talk definitely gets the point across. Beats getting an interpreter because sometimes they take a cut as well.

That doesn't mean most of what's on the floor/display isn't junk. You just have to ask for what you want, that's all. And be careful about pricing - don't look too keen to buy. They usually slash prices themselves if you're hesitating and trying to get away.

Now you've got me itching to go again ...

I don't imagine its very hard to get that itch started.:rolleyes:

Well, the air pollution and water smelling like gasoline does put me off sometimes you know ... ;)

If you are a small-ish buyer in China, most vendors will still pull out lesser quality, no matter what words you use. Until you start looking at what they are offering (ie, you are interested), and discarding it (showing you can pick quality and not just know the jargon) and sometimes even picking through several hanks for the best strands (you really know your stuff) THEN they start to bring out the better quality. I would say that pretty much most sellers will sell you the lowest quality possible, especially if you look remotely like a tourist.

But Mikeyy, there is gem quality available if you want to take the time to look. I don't want to affiliate myself with just one supplier, or farm, because it then limits what you are being offered. Shopping around is time consuming, often fun, sometimes tedious, but necessary to get to the good stuff.

I totally agree with Raisondetre - the further away from the tourist traps, the more likely you are to find what you want at approachable prices.

I'm off to Zhuji after the HK show - can't wait!!

Sorry, I must have missed this thread before, somehow.......but the answer to the thread title is most definitely a loud and clear "YES"!:) Or else, why would I have started my pearl business in China with the aim to supply good/top quality pearls to anywhere from here?:D:rolleyes:

Sorry, I must have missed this thread before, somehow.......but the answer to the thread title is most definitely a loud and clear "YES"!:) Or else, why would I have started my pearl business in China with the aim to supply good/top quality pearls to anywhere from here?:D:rolleyes:
When I started this thread I hadn't been hunting them. Today I would agree with you.:)

Hi Nathan! That would definitely be an advantage. Manadarin is spoken all over China, whether you go to Shanghai or Beijing (as that's the national language), while Cantonese is limited to a few of the Southern provinces. So I would suggest learning Mandarin rather than Cantonese if you are going to learn at all. Without the language, you'd either need an interpreter, or use sign language plus a calculator to negotiate prices. A few shop owners in Shanghai and Beijing do speak some English though - but in Zhuji, almost none. :)

I don't really think it is necessary Nathan. I've always managed just fine. Just know where you are going, have lots of stuff written in Chinese (at the hotel before you head out) and be patient, firm and fun. Business in China always seems to go better with a smile on your face!

Back