Calling Jersey Pearl & other beaders!

Sanippy

I'm learning to wire wrap and thought I'd start a new thread to keep my questions & any advice received in one place!

I'm taking a couple of workshops over the next few weeks and the end goal is to wire wrap my own tin cup style bracelets and necklaces, Jersey Pearl style!

So my first questions are:
- what type of wire do I need for both learning and fine jewellery making (silver, copper, gold fill, 14ct gold etc?)
- what gauges are the most useful for wirewrapping pearls? Based on old threads I was thinking 26,24 and 22 gauge?
- any particular brands? I had a look on Rio & Bella Findings and wasn't sure what to order.
- what type and size clasps work best?

Thank you!

I use 24 and 26G the most and I buy from Rio. I would buy copper for learning, but silver is also good. Get dead soft. Invest in good pliers, if you end up doing a lot of wire work, it'll save your hands and wrists from a lot of pain. Lindstrom is my favorite brand. Get flush and regular shears for cutting wire and a file to remove burs from cutting. I prefer lobster clasps or fish hooks, but size depends on size of beads; I scale up or down with bead size. Hope that helps!

Last edited:
I started with silver because other type wasn't as widely available when I first started eons ago. There are "artistic wires" these days of all colors - check out Beadalon. You can even buy them on Amazon, ebay, etc.

I like 26gauge best for wire-wrap, I use 28 gauge to wire "cap" for briolettes, and I use 24 only when I need something more heavy duty.

I think getting soft wire would be good to start with, and I've had my ghetto no-brand pliers from eons ago and they have held up just fine. I have a round nose plier, a straight nose plier, a cutter plier, a crimping plier (for stringing, not wire-wrapping). I find that to be pretty sufficient for whatever pearl craft project you want to make.

To be honest, the kind of clasp does not matter at all because they all have comparable loop/opening in the end for you to connect with your wires if that makes sense. So choose the clasp that you like.

Would be happy to include pictures of any of the above if you'd like. Just holler!

All really wonderful suggestions from these fabulous ladies!!

I absolutely would start with an inexpensive craft type wire to get a feel for working with the tools. There are many different options, but craft wire is cheap, and does come in different gauges. You can pick it up at a craft store like Michael's. I would also suggest getting some beads to practice on as well...you don't want to start out scratching your pearls accidentally. Once you have a feel for how to use the tools you can switch over to either gold or silver. Personally, I prefer to work with 24gauge half hard 14 k yellow wire. But I have also used 22, 26 and 28 as well. Remember the higher the number the smaller the diameter. For my tin cups that use gemstone rondelles, I use 26 gauge (those little stones have teeny tiny holes sometimes!) I like to use 22 gauge if I am just wrapping pearls and not using chain. It makes for a slightly more bold gold presence. Here is a photo 22 gauge: IMG_3043.jpg

Like any skill, practice makes perfect, but we are humans so plan for some mistakes...in other words, always buy a little more than you will need to complete your project. I also agree that investing in a quality pair of cutters is a must.

I can't wait to see the projects you will create! And please do feel free to ask many questions...it helps us all! I am "self" taught in jewelry making, which means I too asked a lot of questions and followed some really wonderful advice (and videos/tutorials) from the Lowly Beaders.

You can get a few pair of beading type pliers from most bead shops or online bead shops. A small round nose and two small flat ones without any teeth ..you want smooth faces so they don't mar the wire. Watch some videos and practice..it doesn't take long to get the hang of it. Use cheap wire then go to silver and lastly gold...as it's just so darn expensive and it's good to have some good technique under your belt ! You'll have fun..it's not at all hard..you just need to make yourself work carefully to get your loops the same size and shape. Have lots of fun..can't wait to see your first project !

Oh, and make sure to keep your scraps of silver and gold...I use little plastic zip bags and label each with the type of scrap. Keep the colors of gold separated as well. You'll be surprised at how those little teeny tiny scraps add up to a bag full of gold or silver! I usually work on a silicone baking sheet (yes I know it sounds crazy weird) because it keeps everything from bouncing around too much. And one final note...when you clip your end wires, please be sure to wear protective eyewear because those little bits of wire can go flying.

That's so gorgeous, JerseyPearl! I was just thinking today about making some kind of tin cup with a goldish ripple strand I have. This is encouraging me.

I really like the idea of doing everything on a silicone baking sheet! I do stuff on a white towel so I can see all the bits. I too sort my scraps in gold and silver and by karat weight. When I was starting out I would experiment with different size eye loops to see what I liked best with different sized beads. When I found a size I liked for a project, I would mark the spot on the round nose pliers with a sharpie. This way all my eye loops would be consistently the same size. The sharpie mark is easily removed with acetone when the project was completed. I would then lightly oil my pliers with whatever I had around.

Wow thank you all so much MSC, Purranha, ckrickett, JerseyPearl, BWeaves, Katbran & battah for the advice and words of encouragement. I really appreciate it.

I've ordered a decent plier set from Swanstrom from the Rio sale to start with and I already have a pair of German side cutters. I was going to get the Lindstroms but there were a lot of negative reviews on Rio and elsewhere about the bio springs popping out. I'll pick up some cheap wire and beads to practice on and will go from there!

Please watch this space! I'm sure to have many more questions for you all!

ETA: Jersey Pearl that necklace is so spectacular! The pearls are stunning, so bright and colourful and your wire wrapping is so neat and professional!

Awww, thanks...the pearls are really the stars...they are from a lot of peacock circled Tahitians...I fell in love with them!

MSC, I use a white towel too, but I find the silicone sheet keeps things from bouncing too much and helps to keep my beading tray, tools and findings easily within reach.

Swanstrom are also a great brand, I've got two by them and I've had them both for 15+ years. I've never had an issue with the spring on my lindstrom's, but I bought them a decade ago so perhaps the manufacturing process has changed. That is disappointing to hear!

Looks like you all have covered the tools & supplies well! (I've been ailing with mega toothache which resulted in root canal, so finally on the mend.)

My Lindstrom pliers are older, and I've replaced the black springs (they easily change out) when they got weak. Have always heard good things about Swanstrom tools.

I usually work on a piece of ultrasuede to prevent rolling beads and pearls.

Do give wire wrapping a try if it at all appeals to you! Lots of mentors here!!

Back