Calling Jersey Pearl & other beaders!

Oh, poor Pattye! That is one of the worst things ... so glad you're healing ... and that it's fixed before July :)

Has anyone here worked with Tronex cutters and/or pliers? US brand, good reviews, not carried by Rio.

Hi Cathy, I have a pair of round nose and a pair of cutters, but still go back to my Lindstroms every time :)

I make a Tin cup with larger size (about 10 to 12mm) freshwater pearls. I get 1.5 mm round rolo chain in gold filled from Rio use and use 22 ga half hard wire. Chain sections are cut to 20 - 25 mm.

LOL, JerseyPearl. Did not even have to go to youtube… "I am the Den-entist" is now stuck in my brain today :) Loved that movie!

I'm fine now, thanks so much for the kind words!

OMG!! I never saw that video or song before~soooo hilarious! Actually, I've never been afraid of my dentists; I wanted to be an orthodontist but couldn't afford the University of WA. So it's come full circle that I get to play with pliers and wires now! (Drilling pearls smells kinda like drilling teeth, too.) Ha!

As for Tronix pliers, I have 2 pair, a round nose #731 and #711 chain nose. Both have the longer nose, though, and I don't feel I have as good control as with the Lindstroms.

Last edited:
Pattye, I am sorry you had to go through that, but once it's done, the relief is overwhelming. I too, was very ill. Two days of the worst stomach and intestinal woes of my life. We think it was brought on from several spider bites on my foot in the morning. I got home from work and my cousin had made me a margarita with guacamole, salsa and chips. Needless to say, those items will not be at the top of my list.

As for tools, the cheapo ones can be fine to start, but your hands will prefer the padded ergonomic versions as you use them more. The local Gem Faire had a tool seller and I would treat myself to one new tool whenever he had something interesting. In that way, I collected a lot of tools.

For me, like knotting, wrapping appears to be a function of frequency. The more often I do it, the better I get. Stopping for too long requires a brush-up.

My next challenge is trying to enlarge drill holes with my Foredom tool...

I can't wait to see what you do. :)

Oh, this thread is great. I have been wanting to try wire wrapping since I've become more comfortable with drilling pearls (thanks Pattye - glad you are doing well now!)

Blaire, I prefer a toothache over what you had! Yikes! So glad we both are better! Thank you Lary and Blaire and Kat for the well wishes!

Here's a photo of my chain nose and round nose Lindstroms with my latest Gem Faire purchase: the red plier, great for tucking ends. The edges of the nose pieces felt sharp, so I gently filed them so they wouldn't mar.

P1010461.jpg P1010462.jpg

Oh my, not sure why the pics are so large~sorry.

Last edited:
Thank you all for sharing your experiences. It has been very helpful so far and I know your support and advice will continue to be invaluable as I hone my wire wrapping skills!

Pattye & Blaire - on no I hope you both feel better soon. Rest up.

I had my first wire wrapping workshop yesterday! Here is what I managed to produce in 3 hours - 3/4 of a cleopatra collar necklace!

Materials used were Czech glass beads, head pins and chain. And the only tools I used were round nose pliers and flush cutters.

As you can see my wraps are far from perfect but I'm happy with my first effort!

Materials:

image.jpeg

Progress shots:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpg

Neck shots - I'm hoping it will sit better once the necklace is complete.

image.jpg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
That looks awesome! (also, wow you're gorgeous!)

Thanks MSC, kelluvpearls, Jersey Pearl, battah& pattye! My Swanstrom pliers should arrive this week so hopefully I can finish the necklace next weekend!

Pattye - I forgot to mention I'm taking a knotting workshop in a few weeks! Once I've learnt the basics I'm hoping you'll be able to set me up with the string/tools I'll need to restring my pearls.

Thanks MSC, kelluvpearls, Jersey Pearl, battah& pattye! My Swanstrom pliers should arrive this week so hopefully I can finish the necklace next weekend!

Pattye - I forgot to mention I'm taking a knotting workshop in a few weeks! Once I've learnt the basics I'm hoping you'll be able to set me up with the string/tools I'll need to restring my pearls.

You have many knotting mentors here and yes, of course, I'll help you! Such useful skills you are learning!!

Back