Buying akoya pearls in Beijing

Liz57

I am new to this forum but found it searching for pearl buying information. I will be in Beijing next week and would like to purchase a few strands of nice quality 7 to 8 mm akoya pearls and matching earrings. How do I find my way around the pearl market (I have heard go to the higher floors) and end up with a decent price and excellent quality? Any particular dealer you would recommend?

Liz,

I would recommend buying freshwater pearls there, not akoya pearls. You aren't likely to get good quality/value with akoya pearls there, and buying akoya is a lot more tricky than freshwater and you might end up with something of very little value. The market is known for freshwater pearls and freshwater pearls can be quite easily purchased by simply looking for shape, surface and luster.

I've always recommended Ling Ling as a good, honest seller.

Thanks Jeremy. I've read many of your responses now to other threads. What should I expect to pay in today's prices for a very good strand of 7.5-8 mm freshwater pearls? Also earrings. I will buy 2-3 sets. Do I ask for AAA or AA+ quality? Know to get 14K clasps. Do I ask for any specifics on threading? Is the white gold 14K also or are there other issues with that?
Also when you quote a strand price, how many pearls or how many cm are we talking about? I think that is what I need to know at this point. This blog has been so helpful and I am SO thankful for your faithful responses to me and so many others! Think of the countless people you have helped navigate this crazy world over the years and all the money you have saved them! WHAT A BLESSING YOU ARE,

Back