Buying a pearl strand in an auction?

Precious Pearl

Is buying a Tahitian pearl strand at an auction a crazy idea? It says the pearls haven't been tested at a gemmological laboratory. The pearls aren't perfectly round, neither free from blemishes and I have no clue of if the estimated price is reasonable (around 2500-3500 USD) but I really like the colours which seem similar to pearls from Fiji .

pearls.jpg

Lovely colors and arrangement. I like it very much. The colors do make you reminisce of Justin Hunter Pearls.
Is it a trusted seller?

Lovely colors and arrangement. I like it very much. The colors do make you reminisce of Justin Hunter Pearls.
Is it a trusted seller?
Justin Hunter Pearls was my first thought as well but I guess it is not possible to find out, They are sold in a jewellery auction and there is very little information unfortunately (and I won’t be able to see them in person). The colours really caught my attention but it would be terrible to try to get them and then they turn out to be dyed and not worth the value at all (there is obviously a risk price will be much higher than the estimate).

If the colors are spot-on, it's got a really nice contrast and you can see the chocolate.
It is the colours that caught my interest but I don’t know if the photo shows the true colours. I wish I could see them in person. I obviously wouldn’t be able to tell if they are dyed but at least I would be able to see if the colours are that vibrant in reality.

Beautiful colors. I wonder how the picture was taken ‘cause there’s not even the camera’s black reflection in any of the pearls. Would love to see an image if you win the auction.
It is a good question. I have asked if the photo gives a representative view of the colours. I am still a bit nervous so I don't know if I dare to put in a bid...

It looks to me like the photo was taken in a light box or under studio lighting. So the colors are what you would see in ideal diffused light conditions, not what you would see all the time in normal light conditions.

It looks to me like the photo was taken in a light box or under studio lighting. So the colors are what you would see in ideal diffused light conditions, not what you would see all the time in normal light conditions.
I asked this "are the photos representative regarding the colour of the pearls?" and this was the reply "And yes the colours are good in the pictures, perhaps even better." I am not sure of if this confirms studio lighting / ideal light conditions and that "what you see is not what you get".

I am a little concerned about what the colors actually look like. The image looks a little processed to me. Since they have the pearls physically, I would ask for additional photos of someone wearing them or a video chat where you can see them - at least at that price.

I am a little concerned about what the colors actually look like. The image looks a little processed to me. Since they have the pearls physically, I would ask for additional photos of someone wearing them or a video chat where you can see them - at least at that price.
That is a great advice! Thanks to you I have asked for additional photos. I assume if the pearls are somewhere near the photo and real undyed Tahitian pearls, the price would be rather "good" but it is certainly a risk as there is no guarantee (even if they say the truly believe they are undyed Tahitian pearls)

Now I have photos that I believe much better given more true to reality. Do you still believe the colours are considered "good"? It is quite a big difference from the first picture and I honestly don't know what the colours are the Fiji-pearls look like in reality...

Attachments

• 20220211_113657.jpg
    20220211_113657.jpg
    634.2 KB · Views: 106
  • 20220211_113703.jpg
    20220211_113703.jpg
    823.8 KB · Views: 98
  • 20220211_113706.jpg
    20220211_113706.jpg
    933.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 20220708_100726.jpg
    20220708_100726.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 99
  • 20220708_100731.jpg
    20220708_100731.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 100
  • 20220708_100828.jpg
    20220708_100828.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 102
The colors are nice and I agree with you. The first picture shows like a better strand overall. The close-ups show quite a lot of surface issues.
Thank you so much Jeremy - I am very happy I got these photos... There are certainly surface issues and although the colours are good, are they so good that it is worth trying to get it for that price (2500-3500 USD and then it is usually around 20% extra plus shipping)?! What I am really dreaming of are really vibrant colours as in the first photo but maybe this is as good as it gets?!

The vibrant colors in post 1 are overtone colors. To find a strand that has body colors like those, which are not dependent on diffuse light conditions, and with fewer blemishes, I think would cost considerably more-- and might take some time to find.

I think you just have to ask yourself if you like that particular strand enough to pay that amount of money, or are you willing to wait and hunt, and pay more for a strand closer to your ideal.

Also, the last photo-- if that is a white background-- is underexposed, which would make the colors appear more saturated than they are in reality. There are no shadows on the pearls, so it was taken in the shade, which is why you see some overtones. IMO that is probably the best that strand is going to look, in person. It's nice, but do you love it?

If I have to talk myself into loving a strand of pearls, it isn't the right strand for me.

Back