Broome Pearling Industry

crystal

crystal

Jeremy,

I confess, I have never seen a strand or a pearl such as you describe. If you get hold of one please send it to me with invoice. I would love to see and photograph it.

I have seen small natural pearls that are translucent. Usually these are in antique pieces.

Richard

Thursday Island

Thursday Island

Have you ever visited Thursday island. That was the more or less the capital of the natural pearl industry. Went there almost by accident a year ago March. Interesting grave stones with stories about pearl divers and how they died.

R.

I have not actually been, there really is not a lot going on in that area anymore, right? The fact that it is so close to Indonesia means it would be prime pearling grounds (expecially for GSSP), but I have not really heard much about this area. It sounds like it would be a very interesting trip!

Regarding the pearls in my last post; do you ever make it to the trade shows? I have not seen strands like this in Las Vegas, but I have seen them in Japan, and in Hong Kong as well on occasion. They are always single strand pieces (of course never in a hank), and the cheapest I have seen a 9.5mm strand in Hong Kong was nearly $20,000 US. That strand was the first I had ever seen more than 5 years ago. The fact that there are really no farms that culture for a full three years anymore accounts for this, I am sure.

Thursday Island

Thursday Island

Jeremy,
You are right, nothing much there but the bone yard! Was invited to lecture on a luxury cruise ship and got a free two week cruise for the bride and myself and for some reason the ship stopped at Thursday Island.

20k is a big number for 9.5mm pearls but, for that quality. I might have a client. ! I do go to the Hong Kong Show in the fall. Anyone there I might look up?

I have been hearing rumblings of a resurgence in the natural pearl market. What have you heard?

Richard

I do not think you need to pay $20,000 for a strand like this. I have seen other strands in the past for less than half. If you have time, and would like to see a lot of these, I would suggest doing a pearl tour of Kobe and visiting several of the factories. I am sure you would find a couple.

I have not heard much new about the natural pearl market. I just checked the latest issue of Pearl World and Jewellery News Asia (of course they would not report it), and do not see anything. Where is this coming from? The Middle East, perhaps? That would be very interesting if naturals made a come back. The game would change!

Broome pearls

Broome pearls

There is a lot of accurate information can be gained from the western Australian tourist commission and the Broome tourist centre.

The chinese and Java divers played large part in the parling inductery in the 1890s on
The Grave yard is full of them

There is a lot of accurate information can be gained from the western Australian tourist commission and the Broome tourist centre.

The chinese and Java divers played large part in the parling inductery in the 1890s on
The Grave yard is full of them
I have a good book that gives a good history of Broome pearling. Its called "The White Divers of Broome"

http://www.jbailey.info/divers.html

You will enjoy it. You might be able to read some of it online. Try google books

There are a few sites in the Torres Strait region although they are small. One location near Friday Island is about to be placed on the market. Most farm only a few thousand shell although wild shell are difficult to obtain. Many shells come from hatcheries in the Nth Queensland region. The TS region was known for producing beautiful pearls, especially mabe. It is also the region that William Saville-Kent did most of his work and many claim that he is the first person to un-lock the method for producing a cultured pearl.

It is also the region that William Saville-Kent did most of his work and many claim that he is the first person to un-lock the method for producing a cultured pearl.

We agree on that very much. There is an article by Denis George up on the website telling the real story with very good sources and references included. LINK

Everytime I see the big Miki's name, and the way he is extolled, reminds me of how the Japaense got a lock on the patents........

We agree on that very much. There is an article by Denis George up on the website telling the real story with very good sources and references included. LINK

Everytime I see the big Miki's name, and the way he is extolled, reminds me of how the Japaense got a lock on the patents........
You will no doubt be pleased to know that the Japanese just won the gold medal for the best Whiskey in the world. Now they took our whisky. Geeez what next? :D

Attachments

• cucumber.jpg
    cucumber.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 46
Back