best climate for pearls

dmj

pppp pearl
the last few years i have been buying thousands worth of pearls and was wondering if anyone knows what the best climate is for pearls?

this so i can build ( read let someone build ) a climate control cabinet for them, i know quite some jewelers from old family s where the natural pearls did not survive laying in a cabinet for 50 years so i figured that building a climate case for them is maybe a smart thing to do

any tips or information for my pearl humidor are much appricated

DM

It would be great if it could somehow double as a wine refrigerator. Seriously.

We had quite a few posts on this subject a few years ago. You can buy cigar humidor filler stuff and put it with pearls instead. :)

We had quite a few posts on this subject a few years ago. You can buy cigar humidor filler stuff and put it with pearls instead. :)

The wood uptakes moisture from the air, Although most finished woods appear bone dry, they actually still retain some water. Depending on the wood and the climate it's normally greater than five percent.

Very safe for pearls for a long time.

Hey, that reminds me... I have a gorgous cigar box from my grandmother through my mother - tin on the outside, I think, and wood on the inside. Sounds like it would be the perfect place to keep my pearls. Now I just have to figur out where to put it. It's fairly large....

- Karin

If you search the word humidor here on PG, you can read several posts on storing pearls. :)

I can't answer the question, but I was thrilled to see the photo in the article isi linked to.
oldest pearl 7500ya.jpg
There is at least one other pearl found in the same neighborhood, technically, Al-Subiyah region of northern Kuwait known as H3. This one was drilled and is 5mm. The only photo I have seen of it is a book, "Sea ofPearls" by Robert S Carter.c.2012 Arabian Publishing, so I haven't put it here because I keep meaning to write for permission... The drilled pearl is very much the same color.

There may be different standards for cultured and natural pearls. I do know most of the tons of Mississippi river pearls found in the very humid Moundbuilders grave sites, rotted. None kept their luster.

Back