Basra Pearl? Opinions

Bodecia

Pearl Designer & Collector
I love this pearl. It measures 7mm x 5mm app. Hard to measure. It looks so different under different lights. Goes from gold, to bronze to a creamy gold and even a blue. Needs a clean too. My photos don?t show the lustre as it really is because it is really wonderful. Will take better photos in daylight.

Looks like a different pearl in some of the photos. Changes all the time. A magic pearl.

It is no where near my largest pearl but I really love this little one. Guess that is why I haven?t listed it as yet. Not sure I could get enough to warrant selling it and it fits my pinky perfectly.

As the heading says I think it is a Basra pearl. I am totally sure it is a natural pearl. Love to hear what others think.

Dawn - Bodecia
http://www.ebay.com/sch/dawncee333/m.html
eBay Seller ID dawncee333 Natural pearl collector & seller. And all round pearl lover.

Attachments

• 2.Thursday13th August 127.jpg
    2.Thursday13th August 127.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 40
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 35
Another beauty! Glad to know you might keep one of the two. :) It looks very much like a natural pearl and the setting would indicate the proper age. I am really uncomfortable with the designation basra. If you want to indicate a locality, calling it a gulf pearl would make more sense to me. Basra is used all over the place and doesn't mean much these days, IMPO (in my pesky opinion).

There is no question that you have a great eye for pearls. :)

Gosh another fabulous ring! I especially like the simple setting on this ring. ITA with GemGeek, you have a fantastic eye for pearls!

Hi GemGeek and LitGeek, Thank you. I think it is lovely

Reason I have called them Basra is because I think of them in that way but I often add Arabian Gulf when listing. I think most of the Arabian Gulf pearls went to Basra to be distributed in the past and also when Indian ladies look for them they look and call them Basra. They do make up a large percentage of my natural "Basra" pearl buyers. I will try and be more correct in the future as I do realise that Basra is not on the sea or anywhere near it. :)

Dawn - Bodecia
eBay Seller ID dawncee333 Natural pearl collector & seller. And all round pearl lover.

Certainly, if it helps you to connect with people looking for pearls that visually fill the bill, go ahead. As a trained gemologist, it is hard for me to see Basra as a type. The labs can type by mollusk, but that would be Pinctada radiata, or other, and not Basra. Traditional names have their place. Names that have a history that evokes romance are going to do much better than scientific names. :)

As a trained gemologist, it is hard for me to see Basra as a type. The labs can type by mollusk, but that would be Pinctada radiata, or other, and not Basra.

I could not agree more.

Dawn, there is not enough information from this image. It does not strike me a gulf pearl, if anything first impressions tell me it's an over-mature natural pearl from P. maxima.

Again, I'd like to see this in natural daylight.

That is very interesting. I will be taking photos within a day or two. Can a pearl of this size 7 x 5mm app be over mature? Or does size have little to do with it. I will clean and polish in a sat sludge first so it shows its true colours so to speak.

I have read differing reports regarding when Pinctada maxima were first cultivated. Can you point us in the right direction. I realise you are saying (I think) a natural Pinctada maxima but the cultivation information would still be interesting.

From now on when I list I will add the scientific name as well as the common names of pearls.

Dave, I believe it was you who mentioned the peeling of over mature pearls. Do you know of anyone who still does this? I have a beautiful white pearl measuring 9.14mm which I believe to be natural (needs testing) which could benefit from peeling. I will take decent photo of this too and put a photo of it up for inspection. I adore it but it could benefit from peeling. It is possibly over mature too. A better more colourful lustre is showing in places.

I realise it too needs to be tested as I have a cultured pearl which looked to me like a beautiful natural. I removed it from the ring it was set in and it had the bottom cut off showing a bead. The nacre on it is extremely thick. More than 3mm of nacre with a small bead inside. That would be an interesting one for candling to see the exact size of the bead versus the nacre over it. I keep that one as a specimen and to remind myself how easy it is to be fooled.

Thank you.

Dawn - Bodecia

Thank you Dave. I have seen that video before and will contact Cortez Pearls to see if they could arrange a peeling for me sometime in the future. I am sure it would be a real stunner if peeled. Of course better check it first and will try the candling first of all. As to is 9.14mm it would probably end up at around 7 or so but still it would be worth it. The big white pearl is the one I am talking about for the peeling and I haven't a photo of it at the moment. Although I did have a decent one and put it up on the forum years back. Will have to look for it.

I have flicked small pieces of nacre off of pearls but would never try something like a full peeling. That is real talent.

My small over mature pearl just needs a really good clean. I love it the way it is and whatever it is. I thought it was probably Pinctada radiate because of the flattened bottom which I have seen many times and have also read somewhere online they can come in bronze and gold and other weird and wonderful mixes.

I have added some more photos of other pearls which I am sure are natural. The one in the stick pin measures 7.96mm x 8.30mm high. The largest in the group is 9.64 x 7.78mm, next is 9.52 x 6.40mm and so on down. The black pearls are 3 to 4mm long max. I bought the blacks as Arabian Gulf :) Pinctada radiate. The others came from various pieces of jewellery and I believe them to be Arabian Gulf too.

Thank you.

Dawn - Bodecia

Attachments

• B 2.jpg
    B 2.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 37
  • C 2.jpg
    C 2.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 34
  • D0.jpg
    D0.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 31
  • D48.jpg
    D48.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 30
Hopefully these photos taken in daylight will be more enlightening. By the weekend I will be set up for candling so more then.

Thank you men!!

Dawn - Bodecia

Attachments

• c 3.jpg
    c 3.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 31
  • C2.jpg
    C2.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 36
  • c4.jpg
    c4.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 29
  • C5.jpg
    C5.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 36
Now that I have seen the little pearl in daylight, I can see that it is even more beautiful. Interesting color. :)

Back