Baroque blue pearls - 1950s

TriciaB

My mother bought this three-strand pearl necklace in Japan in the mid-1950s. The clasp is silver and has a lovely setting. The necklace was originally a choker, but since it needs to be restrung (and many pearls are missing), I wanted to add pearls to make it a longer three-strand necklace. Any idea where I can buy more pearls and have them restrung? I am going to Australia next month and was wondering if I would have better luck there finding someone to repair the necklace. I appreciate any feedback. Naturally blue akoya from PP, pondslimes from Kojima Pearls, FW from CHQ GmbH, kasumi-like FW (furroFW klonks with copper clasp (Etsy) and enhancer - handcut buffalo bone from Augustus CollectionFW klonks with copper clasp (Etsy) and enhancer - handcut buffalo bone from Augustus CollectionKasumi-like / furrow pearls with copper clasp from EtsyBracelet from FW klonks

Hmmm, they look like they could be blue/grey baroque Akoyas to me in the photos, and I hope the OP would be able to find a vendor with suitable pearls for the necklace to be repaired and lengthened.

DK :)

TriciaB,

Welcome! Yes, agree with DK that your pearls look like the silver gray baroque akoyas. Some of the vendors here on the forum do carry them, and might be able to match the pearls, such as Pearl Paradise. And there are others, of course.

Hopefully, the pearls you have would make 2 strands long enough, and if unable to match, a 3rd strand in perhaps a contrasting color, or white akoya could be placed in between. Possibly gemstones or silver beads could be incorporated. There are lots of options to explore!

I feel your best options for finding pearls to match will be here in the US, not Australia.

How lovely this will be when ready to wear again; please let us know how it works out for you!

Thank you, Pattye! I didn't want to bug her again, but I want to know also! I'd make a single strand necklace and use the triple-clasp for a bracelet. Or get some big Tahitians for the center pearl sections of a triple-strand necklace...

It was just a suggested possible source, which I preferred to PM rather than post publicly.

Gotcha! We're just going to press our ears to the door then... Just kidding, of course we'll zip our lips and respect the "P" of "PM"-ing :eek: (I'll just tiptoe aawaaaaay ever so quietly, having stuck my foot in it again...)

Contact Bernadette, here on the forum. She is the finest re-threader I know. Her work is always of the very best quality. She is based in Melbourne, but contact her before you travel.

Back